+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labour's election manifesto leaked.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Labour's election manifesto leaked.

Supposedly they're pledging to nationalise the railways, bus services, Royal Mail and energy services.

Also scrapping tuition fees.

Not sure how do-able that lot is but I'm sure the Tory led media will quickly pour cold water over it.

Re: Labour's election manifesto leaked.

Love it. Is it affordable? No idea but the Tories lie so I don't care.

Bring back Vesta curries and boil-in-the-bag cod in parsley sauce while they're at it. And white dog poo too.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Bring back Vesta curries and boil-in-the-bag cod in parsley sauce while they're at it. And white dog poo too.
    You mean a time when we weren't in the Common Market/EU? Funny how so many making derogatory comments about the leaked Labour manifesto being a return to the 70s voted for just that in June last year!

For what it's worth, if elections were decided on policies alone, I think Labour would have a good chance of winning on June 8. I'd have no problems at all voting for them based on what I've heard so far, but I can't get around the fact that I don't believe their leader, shadow Chancellor, shadow Home Secretary and shadow Foreign Secretary are up to the job.

What people cannot say is that they do not have a choice in styles between the two biggest parties in this election. On the one hand, you have a party with policies that are offering a real change in approach from what we have currently, but are unable to convince the majority of the country that they have the personalities and gravitas to succeed. On the other, you have a governing party that could write it's manifesto on the back of a postage stamp as they offer more of the same old, same old under a leader who is perceived by most it would seem as their greatest asset - can't see it myself, but indecision, a fear of meeting ordinary people and a frequent use of the letter and words "I", "me" and "mine" "strong", "stable", "coalition", "of" and "chaos" are seen as election winning qualities these days it seems .

Best manifesto in ****ing years.
    Pity the billionaire media barons will prevent it ever becoming a reality.

Rail privatised: 1994
    Royal Mail sold: 2013
    Electricity privatised: 1990
    Tuition fees: 1998
    But Labour want to take us 'back to the 70s'

Unremorsefully stolen from Twitter

I agree with the railway nationalisation.
    But I'm not in favour of energy denationalisation.
    Truth is thats the job I'm involved in is in private sector energy sales so can't agree with that one.
    No matter what comes out Labour are still on course for a thumpIng 1983 style and I'd be amazed at anything different.

IMG_20170511_135157.jpg

Labours cooperation tax rate proposal in some context.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    IMG_20170511_135157.jpg

Labours cooperation tax rate proposal in some context.
    cooperation tax rates

You cannot tax corporation tax rates in isolation when you add in a whole host of other business taxes which show the true extent of doing business in the UK

They can't claim to be pro business at all with some of these policies.

Basically do anything possible to win workers votes.

There needs to be a balance between punishing employers and rewarding employees. This is too lobsided in my opinion. This will hurt small to medium companies more than any other.

Workers are obviously gushing over it saying it is amazing. Yes, well done, if all these policies are enforced you'll probably just be laid off.

The quicker labour move on from the mantra that all business is evil, maybe they'll stop dying.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 11-05-17 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    They can't claim to be pro business at all with some of these policies.

Basically do anything possible to win workers votes.

There needs to be a balance between punishing employers and rewarding employees. This is too lobsided in my opinion. This will hurt small to medium companies more than any other.

Workers are obviously gushing over it saying it is amazing. Yes, well done, if all these policies are enforced you'll probably just be laid off.

The quicker labour move on from the mantra that all business is evil, maybe they'll stop dying.
    It's hardly a savage attack on the profit makers, it basically brings us more into line with the rest of Europe.

At the end of the day we have a simple choice, we can give this money to the richest or we can spend it to make our country a better place to live.

Even if you don't think Labour will be able to afford to do 100% of the things they've said they'll try to do, that's surely better than just handing it to the rich and hoping some will trickle down to where it is needed.

It's hardly a savage attack on the profit makers, it basically brings us more into line with the rest of Europe.

At the end of the day we have a simple choice, we can give this money to the richest or we can spend it to make our country a better place to live.

Even if you don't think Labour will be able to afford to do 100% of the things they've said they'll try to do, that's surely better than just handing it to the rich and hoping some will trickle down to where it is needed.
    That is fair enough, but:

-Increase paternity leave.
    -Increase pay on paternity leave.
    -Strengthen maternity leave.
    -Four new public holidays.
    -Every worker has a right to a union. + collective bargaining.
    -Stopping employers from employing only from overseas (but they don't come here to take our jobs, so what is the problem?)
    -Minimum wage raised to a tenner by 2020.
    -Increase main rate of corporation tax to 26%

will mainly not have an affect on big business. Or bringing money in from big business. It will hurt smaller companies.

They preach that they are there for smaller firms to grow and grow then they do this

Labour voters will see money coming away from business and their default response is well that must be good.

This one will be atrocious I believe:

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    That is fair enough, but:

-Increase paternity leave.
    -Increase pay on paternity leave.
    -Strengthen maternity leave.
    -Four new public holidays.
    -Stopping employers from employing only from overseas (but they don't come here to take our jobs, so what is the problem?)
    -Minimum wage raised to a tenner by 2020.
    -Increase main rate of corporation tax to 26%

will mainly not have an affect on big business. Or bringing money in from big business. It will hurt smaller companies.

They preach that they are there for smaller firms to grow and grow then they do this

Labour voters will see money coming away from business and their default response is well that must be good.

This one will be atrocious I believe:

All of those other measures you mentioned are also just bringing us more in line with Europe. Parental leave is great in places like Sweden and Germany, and last time I checked they have so far managed to avoid descending into a post apocalyptic anarchy.
    The Tories would like us all to believe that these things are unattainable, because they are mostly wealthy enough to have no need for them.

The Total Tax Contribution of the 100 Business Group was £82.3 billion, up from £80.5 billion in 2015. This includes both taxes borne of £23.7bn and taxes collected of £58.6bn, and represents 13.3% of total government receipts.

This is just 100 businesses ,best we dont attack dog then to badly as they provide jobs , revenues, pay staff ,who then purchase goods,better their lives , and pay more tax ,its an easy target , however without business and businessmen and investment within the private sector we would just be left with public non profitable public sector jobs.

Interestingly Corporation tax is the third largest tax , after employers’ NIC and business rates. The contribution from corporation tax has increased by 9.2% from the previous year, despite the rate has been at its lowest level since over the last 2 years ago .

I'm not saying we cant be smarter in gathering tax revenues , but simply saying money for this and that ,nationalise that , and we fund from taxing this area, not the answer its a bit short sighted , there are plenty of other areas of wastage going on that could be targeted , but are way too politically sensitive, as it effects core voters .

All of those other measures you mentioned are also just bringing us more in line with Europe. Parental leave is great in places like Sweden and Germany, and last time I checked they have so far managed to avoid descending into a post apocalyptic anarchy.
    The Tories would like us all to believe that these things are unattainable, because they are mostly wealthy enough to have no need for them.
    The quite small nation that is sweden are not really what we are looking.

It isn't a case of employers always squeezing employees. In my experience is very often the other way around.

If you think universal collective bargaining would be a good thing for workers then I hope you manage a workforce on a budget in the future.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 12-05-17 at 10:11.

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    If you think that May will do a better job of negotiating Brexit then you've well and truly been taken in.

Like it or not, the only way we'll get out of the eu is by stumping up lots of cash and no amount of grandstanding by the bloodless one will change that.

All May's political showboating has done is make the EU more determined to show us who's boss.
    Absolutely. I don't think the EU care less what May says. She certainly isn't doing herself any favours. I suspect someone like Keir Starmer would be much more effective

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Absolutely. I don't think the EU care less what May says. She certainly isn't doing herself any favours. I suspect someone like Keir Starmer would be much more effective
    It is laughable really, she and the rest of her drones have spent months lecturing everyone about how to negotiate and on day 1 she isolated herself. They appear to have convinced themselves that we are the big brother of the EU and can dictate everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It is laughable really, she and the rest of her drones have spent months lecturing everyone about how to negotiate and on day 1 she isolated herself. They appear to have convinced themselves that we are the big brother of the EU and can dictate everything...
    Lets be honest the skills we need for this have gone and not needed since us joining , its a pity we cant get a cross party consensus on this type of issue and others like NHS , immigration ,unfortunately each of the parties like to use the subjects as emotional battering rams and gain browny points with the electorate .

Coalition politics is the way forward ,I wonder how many would now vote for a Cameron / Clegg party instead of the current choices ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Lets be honest the skills we need for this have gone and not needed since us joining , its a pity we cant get a cross party consensus on this type of issue and others like NHS , immigration ,unfortunately each of the parties like to use the subjects as emotional battering rams and gain browny points with the electorate .

Coalition politics is the way forward ,I wonder how many would now vote for a Cameron / Clegg party instead of the current choices ?
    It definitely doesn't look so bad now haha

Good manifesto, fair play to him for having the balls to put stuff like the railways in it.

Supposedly they're pledging to nationalise the railways, bus services, Royal Mail and energy services.

Not sure how do-able that lot is but I'm sure the Tory led media will quickly pour cold water over it.
    Labour have my vote, first time since 1997. Great manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Are you not allowed to make comments about things in places where you dont live then ? - bizarre

Ok lets keep it to where you live then - so what you are saying is that the same people that work for Southern Rail will work for a new publicly owner company (I get that bit) my point being when looking at the Northen Ireland public sector trains - they seem to have a fair bit of industrial action going on - to say the least.

Now - going on to your other point about the money - every franchise is different and the contracts have a "cap and collar" clause which means in the contract they state how much revenue they expect to come in (agreed by both sides) - if there is too much revenue - they pay the Govt , if there is a short fall - the govt pays the franchise. Some franchises make a surplus - some dont.

As you know Im sure - the franchises dont own the rolling stock and dont look after the track.

Why not have a read of the full fact article https://fullfact.org/news/do-train-o...ssive-profits/ where it explains it all for you.

ps - going back to WAG Railways - the guards and drivers etc who have to work for someone. I think goes back to a mindset - if you used to work for British Rail - you knew you had the Govt over a barrel - there was no competition, and there was no incentive to provide a decent service - as you could not be got rid of.

my original point still stands - it needs to be run something akin to the Japanese model - which runs a mix of both private and public.
    I think it stands to reason that I wouldn't specifically comment on a train system I don't use.

I can accept privatisation as a good alternative if there is the potential for competition. In general, customers can't 'shop elsewhere' so there is no incentive for failing franchises to improve, they end up leaning on the government more and more but still somehow making a profit. I live in one of the few small towns to have two stations with two different operators as they are different lines. I actually have choice, the downside of this is you get to see how disjointed the system has become over the last 20 years. Oyster is available at one and not the other because it hasn't been rolled out by one provider.

I am not specifically advocating a return to British Rail and everything being run centrally. I just think decisions about vital public services shouldn't be made with shareholders in mind.

How does the publicly run rail service in Northern Ireland compare to franchises in England and Wales in terms of delays and customer satisfaction?

I would imagine that the cheapest option from the above wish list would be scrapping tuition fees. A mere £10bn per annum

All very noble ideals, but who's going to be paying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    I would imagine that the cheapest option from the above wish list would be scrapping tuition fees. A mere £10bn per annum

All very noble ideals, but who's going to be paying for it?
    Tax more init.

So those clever people that aspire to getting a great career can go to Uni for free.

To be told they aren't paying their fair share in tax if they succeed.

Around in circles we go.