Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
The Total Tax Contribution of the 100 Business Group was £82.3 billion, up from £80.5 billion in 2015. This includes both taxes borne of £23.7bn and taxes collected of £58.6bn, and represents 13.3% of total government receipts.

This is just 100 businesses ,best we dont attack dog then to badly as they provide jobs , revenues, pay staff ,who then purchase goods,better their lives , and pay more tax ,its an easy target , however without business and businessmen and investment within the private sector we would just be left with public non profitable public sector jobs.

Interestingly Corporation tax is the third largest tax , after employers’ NIC and business rates. The contribution from corporation tax has increased by 9.2% from the previous year, despite the rate has been at its lowest level since over the last 2 years ago .

I'm not saying we cant be smarter in gathering tax revenues , but simply saying money for this and that ,nationalise that , and we fund from taxing this area, not the answer its a bit short sighted , there are plenty of other areas of wastage going on that could be targeted , but are way too politically sensitive, as it effects core voters .
Whilst I understand what you are saying it feels dangerously close to 'lets ask the businesses what they would like to contribute'...

Railway nationalisation is actually an issue where right and left seem to meet around the back quite often. It doesn't make sense to pump public money into something that produces profit for private companies. Especially when you consider the levels of service and perception of most commuters that the cost of train tickets is absurdly high. I don't feel like we are getting a good deal as a country.

In terms of the cost, it is almost as though you haven't read it or even thought about it. There is absolutely no reason why nationalisation of the railways would cost a penny. Energy industry is a different kettle of fish but the approach in the manifesto appears to involve setting up publicly owned companies to effectively regulate the industry from within by providing competition.