+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could our first signing of the summer be a free transfer from Rochdale?

Could our first signing of the summer be a free transfer from Rochdale?

Re: Could our first signing of the summer be a free transfer from Rochdale?

If true, it is good to see us trying to get business done early. Free transfer or not, IMO this is positive news.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Simply on the basis of watching Goal Rush every week, I would be very pleased with this signing if true. He has looked brilliant on occasions.

Blue in the Face

Soz Bob. Think you posted first, but didn't see it. Though according to Bloop, this is an "exclusive" elsewhere so we're both bag out of order.

Has a whiff of believabilty about this one. The player is built like a tank!

.................................................. ..........

Cardiff City set to beat competition for signature of League One winger – reports

http://www.insidewelshfootball.co.uk...ue-one-winger/

Cardiff City are close to completing a move for Rochdale winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

The 25 year-old is set to join the club on a free transfer from League One side Rochdale according to the HITC Sport, rejecting advances from Wigan Athletic to instead join the Bluebirds.

The pacey-winged has 10 goals in 49 appearances for the Dale this season, with goals a must for Cardiff City next season if they are to chase promotion.

Cardiff already look set to sign goalkeeper Lee Camp on a free transfer and the signing of Mendez-Laing could start a flurry of transfer dealings from Neil Warnock.

Speaking to the BBC, Warnock said the club had already lined up a number of targets and were in talks with a number of players.

“I’ve agreed a couple of fringe players but I’m looking to sign three or four players to add to that squad in the next few weeks.

“It might be the beginning of June because you can’t really move that quick nowadays but it won’t be for lack of trying.

“I think we could get three or four players in that squad in the team, I think the future is very bright.”

The signing of Mendez-Laing could see a possible departure from Cardiff City as the Bluebirds have a number of wingers at the club. Kadeem Harris has yet to sign a contract extension whilst Junior Hoilett who signed for the club back in November has yet to agree to stay at Cardiff.

To be fair he talked about 3 or 4 early squad type signings , yes lets get new in and old out ,Harris and others delaying on contracts can go in my view .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To be fair he talked about 3 or 4 early squad type signings , yes lets get new in and old out ,Harris and others delaying on contracts can go in my view .

I get the feeling that this is NW's attitude. Don't think he is a man to be messed around and will be looking to get next seasons squad sorted asap

I'm not sure what Harris/Hoilett's angle is by delaying a deal

They've been decent for us but I can't see them getting picked up by a better club were they to leave

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Taken from a Rochdale forum

Trainee at Wolves, but failed to break through into the first team. Went out on loan to lower clubs, including Posh who took a punt and signed him for £100k. Then had issues with Darren Ferguson (Google the details) and signed on a free by Dale in August 2015. Since then has become much more highly regarded. But still a modest 8 league goals this season, and a career record of 0.13 goals per appearance.

http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/2017/...-mendez-laing/

interesting part of that
    'He has the confidence to knock the ball a few yards in front of his opponent and back himself to beat them for pace'

So basically Kadeem Harris!

Going on his photo's on Google images Colin will do well to keep him out of the pie shop.

He looks a tank I like signings like these if it happens a lower league player want to prove himself in the champ and above.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    ^^^This.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    If true, it is good to see us trying to get business done early. Free transfer or not, IMO this is positive news.
    Spedger
    Act in haste repent in leisure??
    A free transfer from Rochdale....... Nicking him from under Wigans noses......ffs
    God help us

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    A free transfer from Rochdale....... Nicking him from under Wigans noses......ffs
    God help us
    I'm not sure if you noticed, but we're not in the same market as Real Madrid

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And that is your answer to our ambition to sign a QPR free cast off like Mackie and a a former Rochdale free transfer winger. Your powers of observation are amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    But are in the same market as Wigan?

It would be nice to be in the same market as a fellow Championship club.

God help us
    Would be interested to hear what your thoughts were when Warnock signed Bamba and Hoilett on free transfers.
    Probably offer more than Noone has for the last 3 seasons.

God help us
    Leicester once bought a forward from Fleetwood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Leicester once bought a forward from Fleetwood.....
    That did not turn out to be all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    That did not turn out to be all that bad.
    Twat was offside in the Euros against us last year, but aye, he's been ok.

Kennedy has done well at the same level. Hows about giving him another go

I remember the majority moaning when we signed Mark Delaney from Carmarthen (I think it was?).

A cheap roll of the dice if it happens

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    I remember the majority moaning when we signed Mark Delaney from Carmarthen (I think it was?).

A cheap roll of the dice if it happens
    Disaster that was. One season wonder then flogged him off to anyone who wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I trust Warnock's judgement over anything weve had in place before. Trollope, Slade, OGS, Malky, Lawrence and Jones

With Warnocks promotion history - he has a canny knack of building strong teams up. Should be interesting and cant wait to see how things develop.
    Same here, though I thought Malky had a good plan, which the club bollocksed up when they wanted promotion in 2 seasons instead of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I trust Warnock's judgement over anything weve had in place before. Trollope, Slade, OGS, Malky, Lawrence and Jones

With Warnocks promotion history - he has a canny knack of building strong teams up. Should be interesting and cant wait to see how things develop.
    Warnock has had some crap sides too, not everything he touches turns to gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Warnock has had some crap sides too, not everything he touches turns to gold
    Important to realise this. He's a good manager, but it's not a guarantee of anything.