Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I agree. We can't blame the Government directly, but it's happened on their watch that the NHS took a risk because it had to.

Remember, under the snooper's charter, organisations such as this will have access to all sorts of data. Apparently, this data will be stored securely. I'm confident.
Indeed.

Having said all that, I've been involved in Windows OS upgrade rollouts I can understand that there are other reasons, but it all comes down to cost in the end.

The trouble is - old programs and systems that are still in use and relied on - but with no upgrade path - and which may simply not work with newer versions of Windows, or Office or 64bit OS et etc.
There is little point in rolling out any Windows OS other than 10 because the same pain will happen again when end of support occurs
There may dozens of these old apps that make the OS upgrade an almost unthinkable task, and of course while that happens the aging OS (XP in this case) becomes increasingly more vulnerable.
It needs money - money and time for developers to find a solution to the aging programs and money, time and effort for a massive, orchestrated OS roll out.

They really should have paid for the extended support for XP, even though it seems ridiculous.
And now they will likely be be forced to roll out an OS upgrade rollout too quickly, underfunded 9as not budgeted for) and under huge pressure. And thus feck it up.

As will other Organisations who have been chancing it because 'its all a bit to difficult/costly', and who now cannot risk chancing it any longer.

All down to money, and too little of it where it is needed.