+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cyber attack on our health service and other countries

Re: cyber attack on our health service and other countries

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    'Kris' (sadly, still little better than a grudge-bearing pedant!)

"decided not to extend a £5.5million one-year support deal with Microsoft for Windows XP. "

XP ..

There's no money for anything in the NHS nor Local Gov't.
    Not going to get any better during the Brexit negotiation period either.
    And after Brexit - none of us can know - yet.
    I agree. We can't blame the Government directly, but it's happened on their watch that the NHS took a risk because it had to.

Remember, under the snooper's charter, organisations such as this will have access to all sorts of data. Apparently, this data will be stored securely. I'm confident.

What happens if the source code is changed to look at a new URL?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I agree. We can't blame the Government directly, but it's happened on their watch that the NHS took a risk because it had to.

Remember, under the snooper's charter, organisations such as this will have access to all sorts of data. Apparently, this data will be stored securely. I'm confident.
    Indeed.

Having said all that, I've been involved in Windows OS upgrade rollouts I can understand that there are other reasons, but it all comes down to cost in the end.

The trouble is - old programs and systems that are still in use and relied on - but with no upgrade path - and which may simply not work with newer versions of Windows, or Office or 64bit OS et etc.
    There is little point in rolling out any Windows OS other than 10 because the same pain will happen again when end of support occurs
    There may dozens of these old apps that make the OS upgrade an almost unthinkable task, and of course while that happens the aging OS (XP in this case) becomes increasingly more vulnerable.
    It needs money - money and time for developers to find a solution to the aging programs and money, time and effort for a massive, orchestrated OS roll out.

They really should have paid for the extended support for XP, even though it seems ridiculous.
    And now they will likely be be forced to roll out an OS upgrade rollout too quickly, underfunded 9as not budgeted for) and under huge pressure. And thus feck it up.

As will other Organisations who have been chancing it because 'its all a bit to difficult/costly', and who now cannot risk chancing it any longer.

All down to money, and too little of it where it is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    No one yet knows who is responsible - doubtful we will ever know for sure - and as per all cyber attacks it could be a number of people / criminal gangs.

Bob - malware is a script written by someone to exploit weaknesses in certain operating systems , the Malware doesnt know what the organisation is, it could be your company's server and PCs - it could be a childrens school. It just looks for weaknesses - then delivers the payload - and then waits for money to be transferred to bank account, often Northern Cyprus or such unregulated areas - or bitcoin.

The method of delivery could be anything from infected usb sticks - that run a script automatically when plugged in. They could have been given away for free by someone at an exhibition or it could be spread via email.

Malware is a cat and mouse game - when the mouse is caught a new mouse appears somewhere else - unfortunately
    Yes, I'm aware what malware is, but anyone who uses it as a means of making money for themselves must be aware that there could be consequences that spring from their actions. If people end up dying because of yesterday who would otherwise be alive, then the book should be thrown at those responsible - although, as you say, I wonder if we'll ever find out who it was.

"decided not to extend a £5.5million one-year support deal with Microsoft for Windows XP. "

XP ..

There's no money for anything in the NHS nor Local Gov't.
    Not going to get any better during the Brexit negotiation period either.
    And after Brexit - none of us can know - yet.
    I'm biased I know, but it seemed to me that all Amber Rudd was interested in doing in the radio interview I heard this morning was deflect attention away from the Government.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I'm aware what malware is, but anyone who uses it as a means of making money for themselves must be aware that there could be consequences that spring from their actions. If people end up dying because of yesterday who would otherwise be alive, then the book should be thrown at those responsible - although, as you say, I wonder if we'll ever find out who it was.
    Given the nature of the crime, perhaps they should throw a notebook...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm biased I know, but it seemed to me that all Amber Rudd was interested in doing in the radio interview I heard this morning was deflect attention away from the Government.
    A month or so ago, when she was doing her necessary hashtags thing, she was calling for backdoors built-in to software to stop terrorism. This is the type of thing that happens when there are backdoors.

Can anyone really say its worth it?

Good luck with tracing down some anonymous gang in North Cyprus or the Cayman Islands etc.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for the individual health boards to cyber sec a bit more seriously. They have access to free IT cyber advice from the Govt, as well as an almost endless supply of resource for this.

in 2013 the Govt placed Cyber crime as a tier 1 threat - which is basically on the level as nuclear war, national security secrets, terror attacks etc.

IMG_20170513_141757.jpg
    Private eye from back in 2014.
    This was predictable.

Good luck with tracing down some anonymous gang in North Cyprus or the Cayman Islands etc.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for the individual health boards to cyber sec a bit more seriously. They have access to free IT cyber advice from the Govt, as well as an almost endless supply of resource for this.

in 2013 the Govt placed Cyber crime as a tier 1 threat - which is basically on the level as nuclear war, national security secrets, terror attacks etc.
    An over-arching IT overhaul takes Money. It really does.
    Is there any?
    As far as we know - no - there is not.

Governments will bail out Banks - they 'cannot be allowed to fail'.
    But the NHS?
    Will the Gov't - or prospective Gov't - offer to fund an IT overhaul of the NHS (or any other vital but underfunded National services )?