+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tories borrow more on average than Labour

Re: Tories borrow more on average than Labour

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Spoken like a true Tory Chancellor .
    Every comment here - for and against - is entirely predictable. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32288751

All I would go on is my experience :-

In the 70's - I remember the 3 day week , the miners strikes, secondary picketing and the council bin strikes with rubbish piling up. I also remember Thatcher and the divisiveness it caused , I also remember the 80's (leaving the bad music to one side) , I remember an economy on the up - on the whole, I also remember the riots. I worked for the council and then got a job in the private sector

In the 90's - I remember a bit of a recession in the early 90's - it didnt affect me - as I had a secure job. Mid 90's I setup my own company and was then responsible for my own destiny, finding customers, getting paid, paying a mortgage, travelling wherever to get work etc.

I remember Blair getting voted in (glad about that as the Tory Govt of the time was split down the middle). Tony Blair was good for me - with massive borrowing and spending by Labour - there was continuous work - some public some private sector. I voted against Blair in 2003 - because of Iraq and the subsequent total disaster it caused directly up to ISIS now.

Labour seemed to be going the same way as the previous Tory Govt of Major - split. Then we all discovered Gordon Browns trick - the massive spending was built on sand and PFI. Blair "go and get me immigrants from anywhere and let them all in", then we had him wanting to join the Euro (thank feck for Brown on this one). Tuition fees and a seemingly megalomaniac in charge and an economic plan which seemed to based on tax and spend (again) - it doesnt work in the long run.

I liked to Tory / Coalition idea - although they were always going to be completely hamstrung by the complete disaster left to them by the previous Labour Govt (not entirely their own fault - but they certainly didnt help) The Libs idea of 12k tax threshold compared to what it used to be - was great for kids on the step ladder of employment.

Clegg learned an important lesson early doors - he promised to get rid of tuition fees - yet when he had the power to do it - he admitted he couldnt do it - funny how the reality of power makes the opposition BS disappear.

Skip forward to today - your choice is vote for a man who has never held office, never been on the Govt or Opposition front bench and never run a dept etc OR vote for someone who was Home Secretary for a record 6 years - and didnt get sacked.

No matter what the political parties tell you - the people will have 2 questions when they vote - is the person trustworthy, do you think they can do the job. If you can get past those 2 barriers - then people will trust what you say - and you can talk about all the other stuff.

If you dont have their trust and dont appear to be competent in the job - then you can talk till the cows come home - people wont vote for you.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Spoken like a true Tory Chancellor .
    What the truth?.

On a side note, someone I know was talking about "what if" a labour victory on the weekend.

Whether it would be good or bad long term I don't know, but imagine the state of the that morning.

I looked at tickets for an event on a holiday I am due to go on in the summer. 75 euros it costs. Comes out to over 60 pound sterling. Jesus wept!.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 15-05-17 at 10:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Well she is the most important person in British politics at the moment, she was a very prominent member of the Cameron's government and she went completely missing for the entirety of the referendum campaign. If you were trying to deliver a complete verdict you could have found a few words to apportion some blame to her too.
    you could argue that by being quiet she was biding her time. it wouldn't be a tough argument to win.

what I don't get is this fawning of Corbyn as a man of principle. The guy is a hypocrite.

Whilst a backbencher Corbyn continuously revolted and ignored the party whip, voting according to his conscience. Yet as soon as he has a sniff of power Corbyn expected party members to tow the line or lose the whip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is that the defecit that the Tories said they would get rid of within 4 years.
    8 years later and we are still 4 years away from achieving that and they have laid waste to our public services in the meantime.
    it sure is the same deficit. this just goes to show how wildly inaccurate such forecasts can be and when faced with a general election, voters should give such predictions limited weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    you could argue that by being quiet she was biding her time. it wouldn't be a tough argument to win.

what I don't get is this fawning of Corbyn as a man of principle. The guy is a hypocrite.

Whilst a backbencher Corbyn continuously revolted and ignored the party whip, voting according to his conscience. Yet as soon as he has a sniff of power Corbyn expected party members to tow the line or lose the whip.
    We must live in different worlds because I don't know anyone who is fawning over Corbyn, the best I can find is people who don't care either way but can't understand why he gets the level of smear he does. Until the manifesto was leaked I was all set to vote green as a pure protest (there is actually a chance of them being 2nd in my completely safe Tory seat). I am torn now because there are parts of the (draft) manifesto which I really agree with and I know that once Corbyn goes and labour lurch towards the centre (that 'business friendly' cliche) these things will disappear. It is pretty clear that Corbyn is no leader but I would rather vote for ideas that I agree with than against one guy.