+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tories borrow more on average than Labour

Re: Tories borrow more on average than Labour

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    I was talking about the leaders in my post - Cameron as PM, Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party, Boris, Gove & Farage as leaders of the leave campaign, Carwyn Jones, leader of Welsh Labour & Leanne Wood, leader of Plaid Cymru - so why did I need to mention Theresa May??
    Because she was a prominent remainer who went missing, her career since has flourished because of it. Just picking the leaders doesn't make much sense, Corbyn had nothing to do with Labours remain campaign.

Personally I don't think the campaigns made much difference (I wouldn't blame May, Corbyn, Cameron or anyone for their campaigning), everyone I spoke to in the run up knew exactly how they were going to vote and were practically ignoring the politicians on this one. The reason I blame Cameron is because he (against advice from within his own party) decided to have a referendum in order to win the election.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Isn't this more to do with the fact we had a deficit of 157bn in 2009 which, when the Tories came took office in 2010, meant the debt was always going to rise rapidly until the deficit was brought under control?
    Is that the defecit that the Tories said they would get rid of within 4 years.
    8 years later and we are still 4 years away from achieving that and they have laid waste to our public services in the meantime.

This exact article is dragged up all the time.

It is pointless really. The economy is never a level playing field. It is never the same.

A comment under it:

In your analysis you acknowledge that whoever was in power post 2008 was going to have to borrow more. You also acknowledge that this would distort the results of your analysis and adjust the data to make for a fairer comparison.

However the conservatives were in power for most of the post WWII (1951-1964) rebuilding period. Another period when whoever was in power would also have had to borrow lots. How come you have made no attempt to adjust for this? The impact of rebuilding the country post WWII will have had an impact on government borrowing that was very similar in magnitude to the Global Financial Crisis.

Doesn’t this possibly lead to the classic mistake of assuming correlation = causation. The Tories happened to have been in power when the economy required massive amounts of government borrowing, rather than the Tories being a party of higher government borrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    This exact article is dragged up all the time.

It is pointless really. The economy is never a level playing field. It is never the same.

A comment under it:

In your analysis you acknowledge that whoever was in power post 2008 was going to have to borrow more. You also acknowledge that this would distort the results of your analysis and adjust the data to make for a fairer comparison.

However the conservatives were in power for most of the post WWII (1951-1964) rebuilding period. Another period when whoever was in power would also have had to borrow lots. How come you have made no attempt to adjust for this? The impact of rebuilding the country post WWII will have had an impact on government borrowing that was very similar in magnitude to the Global Financial Crisis.

Doesn’t this possibly lead to the classic mistake of assuming correlation = causation. The Tories happened to have been in power when the economy required massive amounts of government borrowing, rather than the Tories being a party of higher government borrowing.
    Spoken like a true Tory Chancellor .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Spoken like a true Tory Chancellor .
    What the truth?.

On a side note, someone I know was talking about "what if" a labour victory on the weekend.

Whether it would be good or bad long term I don't know, but imagine the state of the £ that morning.

I looked at tickets for an event on a holiday I am due to go on in the summer. 75 euros it costs. Comes out to over 60 pound sterling. Jesus wept!.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 15-05-17 at 10:33.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Well she is the most important person in British politics at the moment, she was a very prominent member of the Cameron's government and she went completely missing for the entirety of the referendum campaign. If you were trying to deliver a complete verdict you could have found a few words to apportion some blame to her too.
    you could argue that by being quiet she was biding her time. it wouldn't be a tough argument to win.

what I don't get is this fawning of Corbyn as a man of principle. The guy is a hypocrite.

Whilst a backbencher Corbyn continuously revolted and ignored the party whip, voting according to his conscience. Yet as soon as he has a sniff of power Corbyn expected party members to tow the line or lose the whip.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Is that the defecit that the Tories said they would get rid of within 4 years.
    8 years later and we are still 4 years away from achieving that and they have laid waste to our public services in the meantime.
    it sure is the same deficit. this just goes to show how wildly inaccurate such forecasts can be and when faced with a general election, voters should give such predictions limited weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    you could argue that by being quiet she was biding her time. it wouldn't be a tough argument to win.

what I don't get is this fawning of Corbyn as a man of principle. The guy is a hypocrite.

Whilst a backbencher Corbyn continuously revolted and ignored the party whip, voting according to his conscience. Yet as soon as he has a sniff of power Corbyn expected party members to tow the line or lose the whip.
    We must live in different worlds because I don't know anyone who is fawning over Corbyn, the best I can find is people who don't care either way but can't understand why he gets the level of smear he does. Until the manifesto was leaked I was all set to vote green as a pure protest (there is actually a chance of them being 2nd in my completely safe Tory seat). I am torn now because there are parts of the (draft) manifesto which I really agree with and I know that once Corbyn goes and labour lurch towards the centre (that 'business friendly' cliche) these things will disappear. It is pretty clear that Corbyn is no leader but I would rather vote for ideas that I agree with than against one guy.