Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
It is indeed more depressing. The nature of football currently is that Ajax may be creating a wonderful system but a West Ham, to give one example of many, should be able to copy the system and put 10x the financial might behind it. You just have to trust that the culture cannot be replicated even if the all the parts can be and the more innovative club stays on an even keel or even slightly ahead.

Whenever I read these sorts of articles I try to compare it to what's going on with Wales and (more recently) Cardiff City. The first link you posted talks about teaching technicality over tactics at a younger age, building the best individuals on and off the field and needing coaches who understand how to coach in order to achieve that. I believe we are doing well in the second two factors but wonder how close we are to matching the Dutch, the Italians, the Spanish at achieving the skill level needed to be regularly successful (regularly qualifying for tournaments) or whether that is going to come much further down the line and only if we continue to get the best coaches at all levels?

Another article which you might like (not so obviously related to the thread) is one about Italian coaches and shows that what we have been doing in Wales recently has been done in the more forward thinking countries for decades: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...learned-to-win
Some interesting points you raise mate. As you know if you read any of my posts, i follow the academy at all ages and it's interesting how well we do when we play foreign teams. Recently a group of 13/14s went to Holland and won a tournament with i think it was Feyenoord.

Next week a group of youngsters are going out to play Villareal and Valencia whilst another group are off to play against Ajax.

We always do really well when we do this but the problem comes as the kids get a bit older and inevitably in England (Wales) the emphasis is on quick fix.

This lack of a pathway is where i believe the problem lies.
Ajax create a pathway for their youth talent whereas we block it.

I believe there is far more opportunity to follow the Ajax model as a championship team than it is for a premier league team where survival is the be all and end all.

I'd be more than happy to see us try to mimic Fulham’s approach rather than the shit or bust approach of Derby, Sheffield Wednesday etc.