+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Proposals for new League 3?

Proposals for new League 3?

The Football League are proposing a new League 3 with 20 team League structure Link here. All well and good. But the only clubs to benefit from these proposals if accepted will be Preamiership clubs. I wonder if clubs in lower divisions will be compensated for loss of revenue incurred by the loss of four home games a season?

Re: Proposals for new League 3?

Can't see clubs voting for fewer games. This bit also made me chuckle to myself:

"The Football League also believes more professionals playing - and with increased recovery time - could help England's national side."

Now where have I heard that before?

"The Football League argue that more fans will be able to get to games at the weekend and also that clubs won't have to employ as many players and spend money on treatment for injuries, due to the ease of the fixture list."

This might make sense if midweek games were moving to the weekend, but they're being cancelled so how will it improve weekend fixtures? The people who go midweek are 90% the same as the people who go on the weekends.

"According to Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey, it makes sense for the extra spaces to be filled from teams from the National League but he has also left the door open for Premier League B teams to join the professional ladder."

Don't like that idea at all.

As far as the play off structure goes I would like to see it changed to one semi final game, not two games at a neutral venue under 40k, giving fans 18-20k tickets each. Venue decided after play offs are finalised and are equal distance between each club.
    I think two legs is getting a bit boring, plus the players have already played 46 games before another potential 3.

"However, the Football League Trophy is to undergo a revamp. The plan is to potentially include a group structure of three games and a knockout thereafter. This will be made possible by flexibility in the fixture list schedule, with group games likely to be played on international weekends to provide the competition with its own platform and identity. "

Let's have fewer league games, then clubs don't need to have so many players on the wagebill or pay so much for treatment to injuries.

Oh look! There's now some gaps in the fixture list. Shall we shove some cup games in to pad it out?

Jeez.....

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    The Football League are proposing a new League 3 with 20 team League structure Link here. All well and good. But the only clubs to benefit from these proposals if accepted will be Preamiership clubs. I wonder if clubs in lower divisions will be compensated for loss of revenue incurred by the loss of four home games a season?
    That was last summer (look at the date), and it got binned. Clubs in League One and Two wouldn't support it as they lose 4 home games, which for them would see their budgets slashed. Also, it would mean clubs who would be expected to struggle would have to effectively vote for their relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That was last summer (look at the date), and it got binned. Clubs in League One and Two wouldn't support it as they lose 4 home games, which for them would see their budgets slashed. Also, it would mean clubs who would be expected to struggle would have to effectively vote for their relegation.

Must always check the date before commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if the issue is raised again before long to be honest

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Yes ... just checked that myself - then noticed Whitts in the picture.