+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kenwyne Jones

Kenwyne Jones

Playing for the new Atlanta franchise in MLS. Seen a few games on Sky... last night's was the best.

Jones as usual on the bench. Sky commentators spent minutes talking about how Atlanta had built the franchise around playing the South American way, getting the head coach in, getting the squad ready.

Jones was then brought on.

"Jones doesn't really get involved in buildup play..."

Even more immobile than he was with us, barely touched the ball and added nothing to Atlanta.

Re: Kenwyne Jones

What a player he could've been if he was mobile like Zohore.

Don't even think he needed great mobility.

On his day, when motivated he could batter central defenders around. Laziness took over, now he looks poor in America, when Bradley frigging Wright-Phillips is a goalscoring machine.

EDIT: In fairness, he still looks quality heading the ball... when defending opposition set pieces in own penalty area.
    Last edited by ccfc_is_my_life; 15-05-17 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Don't even think he needed great mobility.

On his day, when motivated he could batter central defenders around. Laziness took over, now he looks poor in America, when Bradley frigging Wright-Phillips is a goalscoring machine.

His work ethic was questionable no doubt wasn't worth the 37 k he was on but under Slade he was our main source of goals upfront until he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydogscccfc View Post
    His work ethic was questionable no doubt wasn't worth the 37 k he was on but under Slade he was our main source of goals upfront until he left.
    He was our best defender too... Certainly at defending set pieces

My username would suggest I like him but I hated him tbh.

I despised his attitude but even a 'can't be arsed' Kenwyne was better than a on fire Revell

Always amazes me people who batter players for not being able to do things that they have never been able to do.

Kenwynne is never going to run around like a mad man pressuring the ball, running the channels for you.etc. Youve got to play to his strengths. Put crosses into the box and he attacks the ball well, or play it into his feet or chest and he can bring others into play. As mentioned above he was one of our best defenders in our own box, thing which often got overlooked.

Its the same with Whitts. Hes never been a dynamic footballer, harassing the opposition, putting challenges in so I dont know why people get so upset that he cant do them things at 32. He didnt do it at 22!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Always amazes me people who batter players for not being able to do things that they have never been able to do.

Kenwynne is never going to run around like a mad man pressuring the ball, running the channels for you.etc. Youve got to play to his strengths. Put crosses into the box and he attacks the ball well, or play it into his feet or chest and he can bring others into play. As mentioned above he was one of our best defenders in our own box, thing which often got overlooked.

Its the same with Whitts. Hes never been a dynamic footballer, harassing the opposition, putting challenges in so I dont know why people get so upset that he cant do them things at 32. He didnt do it at 22!!!
    Absolute bollocks. And that's why a player like him will never be one of the best. The only reason he will never run around pressuring the ball is because he doesn't want to. The top strikers, similar to his build and style, will press where necessary etc. They'll execute what the manager requires. Look at Zohore for example!

There's no reason why a professional sportsman should give less than 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Absolute bollocks. And that's why a player like him will never be one of the best. The only reason he will never run around pressuring the ball is because he doesn't want to. The top strikers, similar to his build and style, will press where necessary etc. They'll execute what the manager requires. Look at Zohore for example!

There's no reason why a professional sportsman should give less than 100%.
    Its not absolute bollocks at all. Why did Klopp sell Benteke? Because he wants to play a pressing game and Benteke is not mobile, much like Kenwynne. Put him in a Palace team where they play to his strengths and he scores goals.

Kenwynne is all muscle, if he was sprinting around closing down hed be f*cked in the same way Anthony Joshua would be ****ed if he tried to throw as many punches as a bantamweight.

Yes, Kenwynne could be frustrating, hes from the Caribbean, they are laid back but I also dont see the point of him wasting energy getting ole-ed by the full back and centre half, in the way Revell used to be, when that is clearly not his game.

If running around like a mad man pressuring the ball is what makes a top, top, player then Alex Revell should have had 100 caps and captained England.
    Last edited by J R Hartley; 16-05-17 at 14:56.

Its not absolute bollocks at all. Why did Klopp sell Benteke? Because he wants to play a pressing game and Benteke is not mobile, much like Kenwynne. Put him in a Palace team where they play to his strengths and he scores goals.

Kenwynne is all muscle, if he was sprinting around closing down hed be f*cked in the same way Anthony Joshua would be ****ed if he tried to throw as many punches as a bantamweight.

Yes, Kenwynne could be frustrating, hes from the Caribbean, they are laid back but I also dont see the point of him wasting energy getting ole-ed by the full back and centre half, in the way Revell used to be, when that is clearly not his game.

If running around like a mad man pressuring the ball is what makes a top, top, player then Alex Revell should have had 100 caps and captained England.
    I must've missed that game

Ok, so Atlanta put the ball into the box when Kenwyne is on the pitch. Which isn't often - 9 matches, he's averaging 42 minutes per game. 4 goals in those games - again, a league where Bradley Wright-Phillips is a top, top goalscorer which shows the calibre of defences Jones faces.

Games I've seen on Sky ( full not highlights ), he's slowed attacks down. Ball in the box he's often been beaten by defenders. Doesn't look to be using experience or physique to bully defenders whatsoever.

With a work ethic, Jones would boss that league by a mile. The fact he doesn't, the fact he's a regular sub indicates where Jones is right now.

Is Jones a bad fit for Atlanta? I'd say there's merit to that. They aren't a good side but have been playing free-flowing football. When having to bring Jones off the bench, he's actually worked against that, slowing things down dramatically, not being a presence in the opposition box, being well off the play.

I did say he defended set pieces well. Right now that's the strongest element of his game. When the best you can say of a striker is "well, he defends set pieces well"... the reality is, Jones is where he is and doing as badly as he is due to what's between his ears. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rydogscccfc View Post
    What a player he could've been if he was mobile like Zohore.
    This was my favourite line!!

Kenwyne Jones was phenomenal, long before he came to Cardiff admittedly but at a level Zohore can only dream of right now

Completely agree with your comments re: Jones.

I'll never forget the Bournemouth away match, we were 4-2 down with Kenwynne causing all sorts of problems, Slade took him off and brought Macheda on. Whilst we scored another, Morrison header from a Whitts corner, we never posed the same threat with Kenwynne off the pitch.

I appreciate what you're saving and must apologise - came across a right rude cock then.

I know that he shouldn't be there chasing every ball, etc but There was times when Kenwyne needed to press the ball and he didn't. There was times he needed to bust a gut to get on the end of crosses and he didn't. There was times Kenwyne wasn't playing to his own strengths. That I cannot accept for someone who gets paid to do this professionally.

He was a great player I'll admit. You can't excuse lack of effort with 'not his style'.

Just been looking into his Atlanta career. 4 starts, 2 goals. 50% strike rate when starting.

5 non scoring appearences as sub but he has come on after the 82nd minute in 4 of those 5 games.

The thread is about Sundays game where he basically come on for the last 12 minutes or so.

Dont know why such outrage tbh?