+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: SKY Q

SKY Q

quick questions

if you get main box and 2 mini boxes...will you need more than 1 remote.

can you watch 3 different programmes on 3 different TV's at the same time ?

cia

any other useful points pl feel free to share....

Re: SKY Q

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    quick questions

cia

Yes.

quick questions

cia

Each box comes with a remote.

You can watch 3 different programs on 3 different TVs *and* record 4 things all at the same time. (may even be 5 things now since an update)

Works great on a tablet too, live TV and recordings, even if the 3 other TVs are in use.

Best thing to happen to TV since Sky+

Some people don't get on with the touch remote that comes with the main box but it works great for me.

Was ready to invest in Sky Q after buying a 4K TV but then found out you have to sign up to multi room (which I would never use) at an extra £12 a month in order to get the 4K channels

quick questions

can you watch 3 different programmes on 3 different TV's at the same time

cia

Watch less and do more? Use your precious money on a gym membership or a cycle perhaps?? Do some voluntary work or learn a new skill or langauage? Anything but thinking about bloating even more in front of a screen. Hope this'll helps

okey dokey....so 3 boxes and 3 remotes (with a touch remote if you like it for main box).

can watch 3 different progs in 3 different rooms at same time....sounds good

One off set up cost which includes installation and equipment so no other costs on top ( apart from monthly charge).....

what about the connection dropping.....lots of people saying they have to re-boot quite often. Is this a problem or only if you have thick walls/massive gap between boxes etc ?

cia again

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    Watch less and do more? Use your precious money on a gym membership or a cycle perhaps?? Do some voluntary work or learn a new skill or langauage? Anything but thinking about bloating even more in front of a screen. Hope this'll helps
    I go to the gym regularly, have a full time job, family etc. Watching 2/3 hours of TV is no worse than going to a pub every so often, or posting crap on forums every so often.

I have Sky Q because I had a pod offer. It ends in 3/4 months. If the price goes up, or there are no offers then I'll cancel. Why? Because it is, essentially, Sky + revamped. Most channels are filled with crap, repeats or repeated crap. Sports in UHD is the only bonus. It is an outdated model, and I'd be amazed if anyone could find 8 things worth watching/recording at any one time. I'd be further amazed if those programmes weren't so repeated at other times and/or available to download.

They sell it as you can watch a movie downstairs and finish it upstairs. Who does that?

It's an attempt to polish a turd, don't bother unless you lan to watch lots of sport and get a good offer.

Netflix and Amazon Prime are offering much better stuff, much cheaper and in UHD. Just hoping that Sky lose the football to an online streaming service soon, without that they are dead in the water.

what about the connection dropping.....lots of people saying they have to re-boot quite often. Is this a problem or only if you have thick walls/massive gap between boxes etc ?
    I've had it almost a year, was quite flaky when I first got it but they don't need rebooting very often these days. Still more often than the HD boxes mind...

okey dokey....so 3 boxes and 3 remotes (with a touch remote if you like it for main box).

can watch 3 different progs in 3 different rooms at same time....sounds good

One off set up cost which includes installation and equipment so no other costs on top ( apart from monthly charge).....

cia again
    I haven't experienced those problems to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I've had it almost a year, was quite flaky when I first got it but they don't need rebooting very often these days. Still more often than the HD boxes mind...
    I disagree, my old HD box was being rebooted Daily in the end. It's why I took the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I go to the gym regularly, have a full time job, family etc. Watching 2/3 hours of TV is no worse than going to a pub every so often, or posting crap on forums every so often.

I have Sky Q because I had a pod offer. It ends in 3/4 months. If the price goes up, or there are no offers then I'll cancel. Why? Because it is, essentially, Sky + revamped. Most channels are filled with crap, repeats or repeated crap. Sports in UHD is the only bonus. It is an outdated model, and I'd be amazed if anyone could find 8 things worth watching/recording at any one time. I'd be further amazed if those programmes weren't so repeated at other times and/or available to download.

They sell it as you can watch a movie downstairs and finish it upstairs. Who does that?

It's an attempt to polish a turd, don't bother unless you lan to watch lots of sport and get a good offer.

Netflix and Amazon Prime are offering much better stuff, much cheaper and in UHD. Just hoping that Sky lose the football to an online streaming service soon, without that they are dead in the water.
    Agreed. Only a matter of time before you can stream every game live to your TV. Attendances are such a small portion of revenue these days id be amazed in 10 years if the price of going to a game had fallen and other fans could stream live via a club subscription service.

I disagree, my old HD box was being rebooted Daily in the end. It's why I took the plunge.
    That must have been an issue particular to your box. The platform on the whole was very mature and stable.

That must have been an issue particular to your box. The platform on the whole was very mature and stable.
    Not so. Search Sky + Box Freezing. Lots had/have the same issue. Sky put too much software on the boxes and one particular update 18 months or so ago and it caused huge issues. Sky never took responsibility and cashed in as many bought replacement boxes.

Currently having to reboot my HD daily and I've got this current one off a mate as my old HD box was playing up. So same problem 2 different HD boxes.
    Scam to get you to upgrade to SkyQ imo.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Currently having to reboot my HD daily and I've got this current one off a mate as my old HD box was playing up. So same problem 2 different HD boxes.
    Scam to get you to upgrade to SkyQ imo.
    Hmm, could be, mine was rock solid before I went to Q.

This was/is caused by one of the power saving modes, Eco Saving I think. I changed the main box to one of the other modes and haven't a a problem with the Sky Q Mini Box dropping a connection from the main box since.

Hmm, could be, mine was rock solid before I went to Q.
    I just had to reboot it 15 mins ago as I couldn't change channel. Pain in the arse. Got to wait a good 5-10 minutes sometimes longer before the box initialises.

I just had to reboot it 15 mins ago as I couldn't change channel. Pain in the arse. Got to wait a good 5-10 minutes sometimes longer before the box initialises.
    Do this tonight

TV guide
    Settings
    Go to sub menu
    Type 0 1 select
    Select option Sky + Rebuild
    Select to run it

Do this once a week.

My old box was killed by my constant need to hard reboot. Sky refuse to acknowledge they installed too much software on the boxes. However, they now advise people to use a trick that only engineers should know about. I wonder why?

I was on my 3rd HD box before going to Sky Q. Sky's plan is for 80% of their customers to switch by 2020. It's only a matter of time before they remove the normal package. The model is outdated, but at least with Sky Q we are only leasing the equipment so, if it breaks, they have to fix it.

Do you lose what's recorded when you rebuild?
    My 12yo daughter was on a quiz show earlier this year and it's the only recording we've got even though the school promised us a DVD.

Not so. Search Sky + Box Freezing. Lots had/have the same issue. Sky put too much software on the boxes and one particular update 18 months or so ago and it caused huge issues. Sky never took responsibility and cashed in as many bought replacement boxes.
    My thoughts/experience exactly.

Box frequently freezes, comes on without sound, or doesn't respond to the remote commands.
    Have unplugged it several times a week.
    If you ring Sky, they try to claim it's only your box, but a quick search shows hundreds of customers reporting issues.

The hard ware can no longer handle the software.

Do you lose what's recorded when you rebuild?
    My 12yo daughter was on a quiz show earlier this year and it's the only recording we've got even though the school promised us a DVD.
    No, but you will lose it if you do a full reset.

Click select, read the message and if you have questions, let me know.
    Last edited by Kris; 17-05-17 at 23:01.