+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Human population

Human population

Is this our planets biggest problem? To many of us? Stepping on each other's toes, and if so, how do we deal with it? With advancements in medical technology, more and more cures coming out every year for diseases, ECT, in a few generations (excluding global disasters) there will probably be twice as many of us, which will lead to all sorts of chaos. Contrary to belief, I don't believe we are a social animal (Ants are social) we ain't imo, so the more overcrowded our planet gets, the more conflicts there will be. do we need to think about cutting funding for things like aids? Malaria ECT and let certain desease take it's course, for our own good? We ain't at the Logan's run stage yet, but surely we cant go on the way we are......breeding more and more and living longer and longer

Re: Human population

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Is this our planets biggest problem? To many of us? Stepping on each other's toes, and if so, how do we deal with it? With advancements in medical technology, more and more cures coming out every year for diseases, ECT, in a few generations (excluding global disasters) there will probably be twice as many of us, which will lead to all sorts of chaos. Contrary to belief, I don't believe we are a social animal (Ants are social) we ain't imo, so the more overcrowded our planet gets, the more conflicts there will be. do we need to think about cutting funding for things like aids? Malaria ECT and let certain desease take it's course, for our own good? We ain't at the Logan's run stage yet, but surely we cant go on the way we are......breeding more and more and living longer and longer
    I think we are social animals. The last 40 years have taught us greed and oneupmanship on a spectacular level.

Tax the rich that will sort the funding element out , it's then just down to space, environment meltdown and war,and if the City will ever return to the Premiership and it's overpaid elite world.

You would never guess the world was overpopulated judging by this site. Despite that you still get posters telling you that you post too much if you dare to start a thread. It's a bit like the old Trappist monk joke.

Anyway back to the question. Malthus explained overpopulation by saying there are two ways population has been controlled - by disasters or by restraint. In the West we have usually relied on restraint, i.e. we only have kids when we can afford them. But in the Third World they have always just had kids whether they could afford them or not and then the surplus population died from famine, diseases and war. Today there is another option for the Third World surplus population - they can come here and have as many children as they want. Because of that we in the West are now in the same boat as them and we will can expect famine, disease and war to control the UK population.

What was the fertility rate in the UK when Malthus wrote that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What was the fertility rate in the UK when Malthus wrote that?
    I doubt if there are any exact figures but it would have been much higher than it is today for most groups except probably Muslims. What is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I doubt if there are any exact figures but it would have been much higher than it is today for most groups except probably Muslims. What is your point?
    Different societies are at different points in their journey. We most probably had as high a fertility rate as many of the third world does today, we were deeply religious then compared to now. It has always appeared to me that you think humans from one part of the world are somehow internally different to humans from another part of the world, that they have different internal motivations driving their behaviour from the inside. I disagree with this.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 20-05-17 at 13:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Different societies are at different points in their journey. We most probably had as high a fertility rate as many of the third world does today, we were deeply religious then compared to now. It has always appeared to me that you think humans from one part of the world are somehow internally different to humans from another part of the world, that they have different internal motivations driving their behaviour from the inside. I disagree with this.
    You are saying that we are all the same and that any differences in the birth rate etc. can be explained by saying different cultures are at different levels of progress and in time things will level out and we will all end up as one big happy family.

I think you are partially right and we will end up at the same level, but that will be at the bottom living like slaves in a world impoverished by overpopulation. Real wages will be forced down by a surplus of labour. Fields and leisure facilities will be replaced by roads and housing. Good health care will only be available to the better off. There will be no pensions for the old but they will be so dismayed by the pollution and overcrowding that an early death will be a relief.

what is ECT?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    what is ECT?
    A psychiatric procedure used to help football fans forget a bad season.