+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another large-scale cyberattack underway

Another large-scale cyberattack underway

It's shaping up to dwarf last week's WannaCry infection claim these reports:-

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/another-l...194944965.html

https://www.rt.com/news/388749-wanna...berattack-nsa/

Re: Another large-scale cyberattack underway

I use Norton. Over the last few days, pop-ups from them trumpet the fact that my computers, tablet and phone have been protected from WannaCry.

I don't get it. All these systems that have been compromised world wide - is it because they haven't invested a relatively small sum in protection like Norton?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I use Norton. Over the last few days, pop-ups from them trumpet the fact that my computers, tablet and phone have been protected from WannaCry.

I don't get it. All these systems that have been compromised world wide - is it because they haven't invested a relatively small sum in protection like Norton?
    I thought it was because of Windows updates (or lack of) that computers were hit.

I run one PC using XP. Very few updates from Microsoft. That's been protected too.

In fact I believe protection like Norton is essential if systems are running on old versions of Windows.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 18-05-17 at 06:41.

I use Norton and I've been having the same pop ups too.
    For the sake of a couple of quid a year you would by crazy not to have it, especially for dullards like me.

I run one PC using XP. Very few updates from Microsoft. That's been protected too.

In fact I believe protection like Norton is essential if systems are running on old versions of Windows.
    windows stopped supporting xp last year but any decent anti malware software will still protect it. A lot of the issues come from people disabling windows automatic updates on their computers out of some form of mis guided paranoia about Microsoft having access to their files and documents

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    I use Norton and I've been having the same pop ups too.
    For the sake of a couple of quid a year you would by crazy not to have it, especially for dullards like me.
    Whilst its true a good protection is only a few quid, the windows upgrade to 10 was free. Anybody running an old version of windows that hasn't been support for years have themselves to blame. Regardless of what Norton say i would defiantly look to upgrade windows or move to linux.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Regardless of what Norton say i would defiantly look to upgrade windows or move to linux.
    It ain't as simple as that. I've got the best part of £1K invested in programs which do not run in anything later in XP. I don't want to shell out another £1K so on one PC I run XP; on others, I run later Windows. When my XP PC dies, I'll seriously consider installing a new hard drive and re-install XP. Everything on there has been cloned and saved waiting for the blue screen of death.

It ain't as simple as that. I've got the best part of £1K invested in programs which do not run in anything later in XP. I don't want to shell out another £1K so on one PC I run XP; on others, I run later Windows. When my XP PC dies, I'll seriously consider installing a new hard drive and re-install XP. Everything on there has been cloned and saved waiting for the blue screen of death.
    You running the Trident submarine then

Seriously though you can run XP as a virtual Machine from your desktop on a later windows version. I'd say if and when it dies look into that option.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    You running the Trident submarine then :biggrin.

...and my Technics music centre is handling arrivals and departures at Rhoose

I assume the K in £1K is a typo because as far as I can work out there is also a free version of every type of software which is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    It's shaping up to dwarf last week's WannaCry infection claim these reports:-

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/another-l...194944965.html

https://www.rt.com/news/388749-wanna...berattack-nsa/
    Do these apocalyptic and increasing unhinged posts from you count as cyberattacks?