+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Forget 52%. The rise of the “Re-Leavers” mean the pro-Brexit electorate is 68%

Forget 52%. The rise of the “Re-Leavers” mean the pro-Brexit electorate is 68%

68% of voters want to leave the EU https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/12...exit-electora/

Very interesting.

Re: Forget 52%. The rise of the “Re-Leavers” mean the pro-Brexit electorate is 68%

An article full of dodgy assumptions and extrapolation. These people don't want to leave, but they know that we are leaving. There is a big difference.

Re: Forget 52%. The rise of the “Re-Leavers” mean the pro-Brexit electorate is 68%

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    An article full of dodgy assumptions and extrapoklation. These people don't want to leave, but they know that we are leaving. There is a big difference.
    This ^^ re people not wanting to leave but knowing we are.

"These are people who voted to Remain in the EU and many still think that leaving was the wrong decision, but crucially now believe the government has a duty to carry out the will of the British people."

This doesn't mean they actually want to leave, as the OP suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    "These are people who voted to Remain in the EU and many still think that leaving was the wrong decision, but crucially now believe the government has a duty to carry out the will of the British people."

This doesn't mean they actually want to leave, as the OP suggests.
    The thread title is copied and pasted from the YouGov article's headline. I think that you, Cardiff Irish and Eric are in denial. Their analysis seems pretty sound to me. I'm a YouGov contributor - I earn up to Ł50 a year! - and they are hardly partisan in this matter.

If the result of this poll had been the other way round it would have been trumpeted all over the MSM. The reality is that the results of this poll were ignored by all except for RT, the Sun, the Telegraph and the DM. Not a whisper from the BBC which, hearing this "bad news", stuck its fingers in its ears, closed its eyes and said "Lalalalala" - a bit like you three!

In denial about what?

If it comforts you to think that everyone has suddenly seen the light and wants us to leave the EU then feel free.

In what way are you a contributor? What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    The thread title is copied and pasted from the YouGov article's headline. I think that you, Cardiff Irish and Eric are in denial. Their analysis seems pretty sound to me. I'm a YouGov contributor - I earn up to Ł50 a year! - and they are hardly partisan in this matter.

If the result of this poll had been the other way round it would have been trumpeted all over the MSM. The reality is that the results of this poll were ignored by all except for RT, the Sun, the Telegraph and the DM. Not a whisper from the BBC which, hearing this "bad news", stuck its fingers in its ears, closed its eyes and said "Lalalalala" - a bit like you three!
    That's an interesting comment, as I just put 68% re-leaver into google and Financial Times and Guardian were two of the top links.

https://www.ft.com/content/76037a34-...d-13beb0903fa3

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-conservatives

You can look at those figures in any way you want. For example 52% voted leave but only 45% now support leaving. Why would it go down?

As for the in denial la-la-la thing I voted Remain, I still think leaving will be a bad thing for the UK but now that the vote is done we should go ahead with it. I've never said otherwise (although you seem to think you know me well). So I would go in to the Re-leave pool in that article, despite not being pro-Brexit. That's why I think the conclusion that 68% are pro-Brexit is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's an interesting comment, as I just put 68% re-leaver into google and Financial Times and Guardian were two of the top links.

https://www.ft.com/content/76037a34-...d-13beb0903fa3

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-conservatives
    Fair enough. Nothing from the Beeb though. And Eric, I am one of those people polled on various matters. On this matter I was a "don't know". I generally earn 25p or 50p per poll answered.

Whatever the percentages are we still have no idea of what the consequences of Brexit may be. It was a leap into the unknown.

Re: YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    You still have a chance - the Lib Dems have said they will have a second referendum - so Labour should do the same thing - offer a FULL second referendum at the end of Brexit talks - and then we will have (finally) a full and complete answer to the EU.

that is just crazy talk, you know the remains will never let it go

I think as its dawned on people and they have yet to feel the pain or think there is no pain the leave percentages are going up as an the inevitability dawns upon them that this ain't going to be revered and every time I here Juncker, Merkel , Macron banging on about us , not having an easy deal , the more I am beginning to think I wished I had voted out.

I am of the theory now that the thing that bothers the European country is free movement of Labour as that's associated to every argument linked to trade deals , could it be they saw the UK as a hand off of their own people to relieve the commitment of wages and benefits , especially the eastern European block , where many millions were /are leaving their economy, and become part of ours , that must have had an ease effect on social housing , education, NHS budgets , as the burden has increased on ours .

I think we may well see a a hard Brexit ie bugger this we can't get a deal , and we go it alone, and if that is true , who do we want to head up that battle In this election a pro European negotiators or a non European ( no I'm not a Tory voter )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Just as the Brexiteers would never have let it go in a close call referendum.

Cameron let himself get bamboozled by Farage whose party have never WON a seat in Parliament. Now
    we will pay the consequences for decades to come.

Corbyn was obviously a closet Brexit bum boy so I'm going to vote Lib Dem.

Blue Wales is spot on. However Brexit will happen. However if it goes tits up that a lot of us will be pushing to get back into the EU

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Just as the Brexiteers would never have let it go in a close call referendum.

Cameron let himself get bamboozled by Farage whose party have never WON a seat in Parliament. Now
    we will pay the consequences for decades to come.

Corbyn was obviously a closet Brexit bum boy so I'm going to vote Lib Dem.
    I wonder if it was a bamboozle or a cunning right wing Tory covert operation to create an external opposition to get too this point , the Douglas Carswell resigning from Tories then from UKIP was cute .

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Er, there were people who didn't "let it go" for forty years and more after the vote in the 70s - to expect all remainers to just say "fair enough, let's move on" is the height of naivety and, in some cases (e.g. UKIP members and voters), reeks of hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Er, there were people who didn't "let it go" for forty years and more after the vote in the 70s - to expect all remainers to just say "fair enough, let's move on" is the height of naivety and, in some cases (e.g. UKIP members and voters), reeks of hypocrisy.
    Oh come on Bob

I will let you of the hook now