+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support car manufacturing in Wales?

Support car manufacturing in Wales?

Would people support a car manufacturing factory in Wales? Obviously there is Aston martin in St Athan but I'm talking about "normal" cars that the average person would buy. We have a keen eye for workmanship and I think Wales could produce some decent cars.

Re: Support car manufacturing in Wales?

No offence like, but this is one of the oddest posts I've ever read on here.

Last time we tried on our own we produced the Gilburn which although having some famous owners really left a lot to be desired.

Oh, and TVR are meant to be opening a factory in the Valleys at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Last time we tried on our own we produced the Gilburn which although having some famous owners really left a lot to be desired.

Wasn't TVR dependent on the increasingly unlikely Circuit of Wales being built?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Wasn't TVR dependent on the increasingly unlikely Circuit of Wales being built?

They said not but I suspect different

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post

TVR made some of the best looking cars of their time. Mechanically questionable but seriously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by coolred View Post
    TVR made some of the best looking cars of their time. Mechanically questionable but seriously good looking.

Just a shame they were all called Trevor

They used to make fabulous Triang cars in Merthyr

Are there any reasons not to support car manufacturing in Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Yes - if they made half and half scarves for automobile tourists.

Cyclists might oppose it and I guess people wouldn't like it if you stuck a factory next door to their village but it seems like most would be fine with it.

Cyclists might oppose it and I guess people wouldn't like it if you stuck a factory next door to their village but it seems like most would be fine with it.
    Why on earth would cyclists oppose it?

Well I'm a cyclist and I would be dead against a car factory in Wales. It's the thin end of the wedge I tell you. First it's cars, next it'll be busses and before you know it we'll be making bloody aeroplane wings or whatever.

Well I'm a cyclist and I would be dead against a car factory in Wales. It's the thin end of the wedge I tell you. First it's cars, next it'll be busses and before you know it we'll be making bloody aeroplane wings or whatever.
    I heard a rumour the factory would make cars with retractable sticks to attack spokes so you might well have a point there.

the english wouldnt allow it

Would you say most cyclists would be against it? I guess we need some more cyclists to chime in - not a cyclist myself. You wouldn't want to see my thighs in Lycra I'll say.

Would you say most cyclists would be against it? I guess we need some more cyclists to chime in - not a cyclist myself. You wouldn't want to see my thighs in Lycra I'll say.
    I can't speak for all cyclists obviously but I've just asked my next door neighbour, he's not a cyclist himself but his wife, god rest her soul, was and he reckons that she would have been vigorously opposed to any kind of vehicle manufacturing in Wales.

Same question, why would cyclists be against it?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Same question, why would cyclists be against it?
    Why wouldn't they be??!!

I'd be all in favour.

Problem is of course, you can forget about any European funding to build the factory and components sourced from overseas will be prohibitively expensive due to the weak pound and we've told our major export market to do one.

Perhaps the biggest issues though of course are the huge start up costs and without the volumes, the cost of the car will probably be higher than an Aston.

If this were to happen I would hope we would aim to out-Tesla Tesla, rather than try to compete with mainstream car building

I can't speak for all cyclists obviously but I've just asked my next door neighbour, he's not a cyclist himself but his wife, god rest her soul, was and he reckons that she would have been vigorously opposed to any kind of vehicle manufacturing in Wales.

"Ambulances have been called more than 100 times since 2014 for workers experiencing fainting spells, dizziness, seizures, abnormal breathing and chest pains..."

That's private sector workers for you. Lazy, excuse-making shirkers to a man.