+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Chris Cornell: Soundgarden Sadly Has Died

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chris Cornell: Soundgarden Sadly Has Died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39960066

Chris Cornell's death is being investigated as a possible suicide, Detroit Police have told the BBC.
    The singer died at the age of 52 after a concert in Detroit on Wednesday evening, his representatives announced.
    In a statement, Cornell's representative Brian Bumbery said his death was "sudden and unexpected".

Re: Chris Cornell: Soundgarden Sadly Has Died

confirmd. hung himslef in his bathroom 🙁

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    confirmd. hung himslef in his bathroom ��
    Asphyxiwank?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    confirmd. hung himslef in his bathroom ��
    Seems a bit odd, young kids at home, wife and devoted family man. Still playing packed out gigs. Appears like he had so much to live for.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Seems a bit odd, young kids at home, wife and devoted family man. Still playing packed out gigs. Appears like he had so much to live for.
    See my previous post.

Where's Sludge, or were Soundgarden too middle of the road for him?

Weird this, I'd found Would? by Alice in Chains recently (another Seattle grunge band) and read up about the slow death of singer Layne Staley. Would? was itself a tribute to another Seattle band member, Andrew Wood, who died of a heroin overdose in 1990, Staley wears Wood's orange top in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

Sadly, Staley had 'run too far to get home' by around '93. His own drug addiction had taken hold and, despite 13 trips to rehab, he couldn't get clean and accepted that the drugs were now controlling him. He suffered from depression and said he was walking through hell. In 1996, Alice in Chains played their last gigs, as support to Kiss. Staley had to have his drug intake regulated so he was able to perform during that tour and after the final gig he ODed, spent a brief time in hospital and then became a recluse in his Seattle apartment. The last published pictures of him come from '98 when he turned up to record a couple of tracks with Alice in Chains. It was his 31st birthday but he now apparently looked like an 80 year old man, all his teeth had fallen out apart from anything else.

Little is known of him after that, friends and family tried to contact him but by the end he'd pretty much only answer to his dealer. He'd turn up in a local bar now and again, sit down and fall asleep, but they were the only public sightings of him. In April 2002, it was noted by accountants that he hadn't withdrawn any money for two weeks and police broke his door down to find Staley dead, surrounded by drug paraphernalia. His mother was told not to come in but she sat by his dead body and told Staley how sorry she was it had turned out like this.

The guitarist and drummer eventually reformed Alice in Chains with a new singer but the original bassist, Mike Starr, was to reappear in another guise. Starr had left the band in 1993 but stayed friends with Staley. In 2009, Starr was on an American programme called Celebrity Rehab and revealed a secret that he'd held for seven years. He'd gone to see Staley in April 2002 and, although Staley had let him in, they were soon to argue as Starr couldn't believe the state Staley was in (he weighed around 6 stones when he died although he was 6 foot tall). He said he'd call 911 but Staley said their friendship was over if he did. Starr walked out in disgust with Staley shouting after him not to end it like this. Staley is believed to have died of an overdose the next day. Starr felt guilt that he could have saved Staley's life. He stuck out rehab for some time but himself died of an overdose in 2011.

What a mess. Just a sad story, Staley seemed like a decent enough guy. No point in moralising or being judgmental here. As Bill Hicks said, a lot of our favourite music was probably made by people who were off their faces so it's hypocritical to get po-faced about it. I know Sludge Factory is a track by Alice in Chains so I assume he's a fan. I'd be interested in his views on Staley, Chris Cornell too. Two great vocalists, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Where's Sludge, or were Soundgarden too middle of the road for him?

Weird this, I'd found Would? by Alice in Chains recently (another Seattle grunge band) and read up about the slow death of singer Layne Staley. Would? was itself a tribute to another Seattle band member, Andrew Wood, who died of a heroin overdose in 1990, Staley wears Wood's orange top in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

Sadly, Staley had 'run too far to get home' by around '93. His own drug addiction had taken hold and, despite 13 trips to rehab, he couldn't get clean and accepted that the drugs were now controlling him. He suffered from depression and said he was walking through hell. In 1996, Alice in Chains played their last gigs, as support to Kiss. Staley had to have his drug intake regulated so he was able to perform during that tour and after the final gig he ODed, spent a brief time in hospital and then became a recluse in his Seattle apartment. The last published pictures of him come from '98 when he turned up to record a couple of tracks with Alice in Chains. It was his 31st birthday but he now apparently looked like an 80 year old man, all his teeth had fallen out apart from anything else.

Little is known of him after that, friends and family tried to contact him but by the end he'd pretty much only answer to his dealer. He'd turn up in a local bar now and again, sit down and fall asleep, but they were the only public sightings of him. In April 2002, it was noted by accountants that he hadn't withdrawn any money for two weeks and police broke his door down to find Staley dead, surrounded by drug paraphernalia. His mother was told not to come in but she sat by his dead body and told Staley how sorry she was it had turned out like this.

The guitarist and drummer eventually reformed Alice in Chains with a new singer but the original bassist, Mike Starr, was to reappear in another guise. Starr had left the band in 1993 but stayed friends with Staley. In 2009, Starr was on an American programme called Celebrity Rehab and revealed a secret that he'd held for seven years. He'd gone to see Staley in April 2002 and, although Staley had let him in, they were soon to argue as Starr couldn't believe the state Staley was in (he weighed around 6 stones when he died although he was 6 foot tall). He said he'd call 911 but Staley said their friendship was over if he did. Starr walked out in disgust with Staley shouting after him not to end it like this. Staley is believed to have died of an overdose the next day. Starr felt guilt that he could have saved Staley's life. He stuck out rehab for some time but himself died of an overdose in 2011.

What a mess. Just a sad story, Staley seemed like a decent enough guy. No point in moralising or being judgmental here. As Bill Hicks said, a lot of our favourite music was probably made by people who were off their faces so it's hypocritical to get po-faced about it. I know Sludge Factory is a track by Alice in Chains so I assume he's a fan. I'd be interested in his views on Staley, Chris Cornell too. Two great vocalists, for sure.
    Check out rhooster, them bones and angry chair by Alice in chains for the best of Staley , pure evil in his vocals

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Check out rhooster, them bones and angry chair by Alice in chains for the best of Staley , pure evil in his vocals
    Thanks for that. I understand how you've used the term there but 'pure evil' couldn't be applied to Staley as a man, far from it. I know people don't speak ill of the dead, on the whole, but it really is hard to find a criticism of him at any stage of the story. Of course, people were frustrated that he'd resigned himself to his fate and then cut himself off but he was someone that his friends, family and fellow band members obviously cared deeply about. He was upfront and honest about his problems in the songs he wrote but there didn't seem to be any self-pity or lashing out. He'd made a mistake getting into heroin, rehab hadn't worked for him and now he was going to take himself away to die, playing video games in his flat with a pet cat for company.

His mother never gave up, apparently Staley held his new-born nephew not long before he died, she'd hoped that it would give him a reason to seek medical help and have one last go at rehab but it was too late by then. God only knows what kind of physical state he was in by the end, he'd lost fingers due to poor circulation along with the general deterioration of his health. It's a sad, sad story. He obviously had a great talent and seemed to be a good man too. I'm not an Alice in Chains fan myself (although Would? is an all-time favourite) but I hope you continue to enjoy the musical legacy that Layne Staley left. What's the reformed band like? I can't quite see how that would work without Staley.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Thanks for that. I understand how you've used the term there but 'pure evil' couldn't be applied to Staley as a man, far from it. I know people don't speak ill of the dead, on the whole, but it really is hard to find a criticism of him at any stage of the story. Of course, people were frustrated that he'd resigned himself to his fate and then cut himself off but he was someone that his friends, family and fellow band members obviously cared deeply about. He was upfront and honest about his problems in the songs he wrote but there didn't seem to be any self-pity or lashing out. He'd made a mistake getting into heroin, rehab hadn't worked for him and now he was going to take himself away to die, playing video games in his flat with a pet cat for company.

His mother never gave up, apparently Staley held his new-born nephew not long before he died, she'd hoped that it would give him a reason to seek medical help and have one last go at rehab but it was too late by then. God only knows what kind of physical state he was in by the end, he'd lost fingers due to poor circulation along with the general deterioration of his health. It's a sad, sad story. He obviously had a great talent and seemed to be a good man too. I'm not an Alice in Chains fan myself (although Would? is an all-time favourite) but I hope you continue to enjoy the musical legacy that Layne Staley left. What's the reformed band like? I can't quite see how that would work without Staley.
    Like so many other bands , it simply doesn't work when the original core falls apart

Great voice