I've never heard of the Welsh Baccalaureate at GCSE level, but the A-Level version was great for Welsh students.

It got me & 99% of my year group at school into better universities (it's valued as an 'A' at A-Level by most universities). The easiest 'A' any A-Level student will ever get.

A nice mix of basic practical mathematic skills, basic English language, problem solving & charity work. It could probably be completed in about 4 weeks by the gifted students, so they could focus on their real A-Levels (Maths, Sciences, etc), and for the less able students it was stretched over 2 years.

If we're just getting rid of subjects that the kids hate, then 'Welsh' as half a GCSE has to be the first out the door. Pointless in the extreme. I remember asking my teacher what "I can't speak Welsh" is in Welsh, and then writing that for most of my answers to one of the exams. I still passed.

Religious Education as half a GCSE is the 2nd out the door. We learnt nothing of value in our one hour every two weeks of R.E learning. Religion is of little value to the world. Being forced to learn about everyone's imaginary friends is of even less value.

P.E is also a GCSE.