As well as allowing people to die with dignity, wouldn't this help to address the care crisis that the nation faces?

The neglect of the NHS is a living scandal, as is the expectation that people who have paid their national insurance all their life will now have to pay their own care costs.

If people are being asked to do this - then wouldn't it be fairer to also give them the option to choose whether to be left in a care home, or to choose their own time to die?

I work hard in order to give my kids a good inheritance that they can collect (all being well) a few years before they retire. If I ever get Alzheimer's or dementia, I would far prefer to be put to sleep than to see my hard work swallowed up because successive Governments were unable and incapable of addressing the ticking time bomb of our aging population.

I would like, in that position, to agree with doctors that I be put to sleep as soon as I am in a state where I can no longer care for myself.

I would want my loved ones to remember me as I was, and not for that memory to be tainted by years of painfully visiting a man they do not know, who does not know them.

And, I would want to leave them with the things that I am working towards to specifically provide for them once I have passed away.

What's wrong with that?