+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dementia tax

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Dementia tax

Something has to happen in regard to spiralling social care costs and I don't think this Tory policy is unreasonable.

“The government wants families to be able to pass on their home to their children or grandchildren,” she said. “That’s why, in line with the manifesto commitment, we’re reforming the rules to bring down the number of families paying inheritance tax from next year, with nearly 20,000 estates taken out of paying inheritance tax from April 2020 alone.

“Under the new system families will have a new £175,000 inheritance tax allowance for their home on top of the existing £325,000 threshold.”
    It was George Osborne who was behind the deeply flawed plan, to be implemented by 2020, to cut inheritance tax (IHT) to let a couple in a £1m home avoid paying a penny in death duties. The plan would cost an estimated £1bn, and the former chancellor promised to gradually lift the IHT threshold from its current £325,000 per person to £500,000. The phased changes of this iniquitous and ill-conceived plan are due to start in April. It is a tax break for a wealthy elite, at a time when the NHS faces a cash crisis and the government is moving to cut £3.7bn in disability benefits from the most vulnerable in society.
    Two Guardian quotes from earlier in 2017, although this change in policy does not directly contradict the first quote as children will still inherit property. I wonder if it's as simple as the money lost to raising inheritance tax allowance has now been found with this change in policy? If that is the case then it has not satisfied the need for additional funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Something has to happen in regard to spiralling social care costs and I don't think this Tory policy is unreasonable.
    Send them to the vet.

Feedback

politics has gone mad. we have labour complaining about a Tory policy that targets the wealthiest....

There lies the truth ,how do we afford this people growing older needing more care , that puts pressure on beds , people don't want to pay more , currently the care is free up to £23k isn't i, as I read it they can now have it up to £100 however there is a pay back as the children of the houses they inherit will have give up some dosh , however there are tow areas where the house price medians are below £100k ??

I don't' know the answer answer but its not an easy one as this isn't the only pull on the public purse we have education , policing NHS ,benefits , I guess that why other countries have set up insurance policy , as its not affordable all this surely cannot all be free or funded by the public purse or taxing the elite and businesses ;

Remove benefit caps yes or no
    University tuition fee's free yes or no
    Winter Fuel free to all yes or no
    NHS free to all yes or no
    Child Care free to all yes or no
    School meals free to all yes or no
    Free buss passes free to all yes or no
    TV Licensing free to all yes or no
    Prescriptions in wales free to all yes or no
    Parking at NHS Hospitales free to all yes or no
    Free bridge tolls into wales yes or no
    Nationalising Rail , Energy ,Royal Mai and beyond yes or no
    Education funded
    Policing funded
    Public services funded .

I'm sure I've missed a few subsidies or funded areas, and ,sorry I cant work it out anymore,never mind anyone's political views ,the burden is high in this country and a balance is required.