+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Callum Paterson deal close?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Callum Paterson deal close?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Paterson is under 24 so as long as Hearts offered him a new contract (which I am pretty sure that they did) then we would also be liable for paying compensation if we sign him. I have seen £400/500k mentioned but not sure how this has been calculated.
    How does that differ to when Adam Matthews joined Celtic. Did we not offer him a contract? We didn't get anything for Matthews did we?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    How does that differ to when Adam Matthews joined Celtic. Did we not offer him a contract? We didn't get anything for Matthews did we?
    I have heard conflicting stories here so not quite sure. I recall at the time that we claimed that we couldn't agree a contract with him which suggests that we offered him one. However, I met Matthews a year or two after he left & asked him what happened - he said that Dave Jones made it clear that he didn't rate him & he was not wanted at Cardiff, so he left. I don't know if we received any compensation but if we didn't then a contract was not offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    I have heard conflicting stories here so not quite sure. I recall at the time that we claimed that we couldn't agree a contract with him which suggests that we offered him one. However, I met Matthews a year or two after he left & asked him what happened - he said that Dave Jones made it clear that he didn't rate him & he was not wanted at Cardiff, so he left. I don't know if we received any compensation but if we didn't then a contract was not offered.
    I thought we didn't get money with matthews because it was an international transfer, or am I getting confused with ledley

Arrow Re: Callum Paterson deal close?

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    High praise indeed.
    Although they rated him the same as Don Cowie which kind OF takes the edge off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    High praise indeed.
    Although they rated him the same as Don Cowie which kind OF takes the edge off it.
    I always thought Cowie was underrated tbf

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I thought we didn't get money with matthews because it was an international transfer, or am I getting confused with ledley
    We received nothing for Ledley as he was 23 & it was an international transfer. If he had gone to a club who played in the premier/football league we would have received compensation. I can remember feeling a bit aggrieved at the time as I felt that Ledley could have done more to help us at a time when we were totally skint, although after a while I was able to look at it more objectively & could accept that he was perfectly entitled to do what was best for his future career