+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OGS

OGS

Has he really become a better manager after leaving us?

He’s been given money to spend. Man U seem to be persisting with him even though to me Giggs seems to be doing better out of the 92’ class and has gone on a good run but against pretty much the lower sides of the Prem.

Would you ever have him back? He showed to be one of the worst city managers of all time so what’s clicked now?

Re: OGS

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Has he really become a better manager after leaving us?

He’s been given money to spend. Man U seem to be persisting with him even though to me Giggs seems to be doing better out of the 92’ class and has gone on a good run but against pretty much the lower sides of the Prem.

Would you ever have him back? He showed to be one of the worst city managers of all time so what’s clicked now?
    Nope. Useless.

Whereas he has actually done way better than I thought he would, he has good players and loads of money to spend so I suspect that managing that that level requires an entirely different skill set.

That said, and as you point out, since lockdown United have had a very generous run of fixtures and as soon as they come up against anyone half way decent they struggle.

And his limitations are laid bare. They need to get rid of him (but won’t) as he will never take them back to the very top of football. This season was perhaps their limit under him.

Don't know if he was ever that bad a manager, just wasn't the right man for a relegation fight. He would have learned from it.

To be fair to him I thought he was gone earlier this season, to turn them around as much as they have is respectable, would have been very easy to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Don't know if he was ever that bad a manager, just wasn't the right man for a relegation fight. He would have learned from it.

To be fair to him I thought he was gone earlier this season, to turn them around as much as they have is respectable, would have been very easy to sink.
    OGS was a terrible manager for us and still is. His signings for us were absolutely useless. At Manchester Utd he can have the pick of good players and even then were under performing before they bought Fernandes when their season turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    OGS was a terrible manager for us and still is. His signings for us were absolutely useless. At Manchester Utd he can have the pick of good players and even then were under performing before they bought Fernandes when their season turned around.
    I tihnk most of OGS signings for us had something about them, burgstaller was an absolute bargain in particular.
    Was Manga one of his? and Guerra?
    I don't think it was the signings that were at fault, it was more that nobody knew what thy were supposed to be doing from one game to the next.
    Too many changes between games, and no real identity, I couldn't begin to tell you what type of football we were trying to play, and it didn't seem like the players knew either.

At manu now, they are far from the finished article, but I would say that he has arguably rectified his biggest failing at cardiff, in that Man U play with a definite style now and the players seem to know what is expected of them.
    If he doesn't address their weaknesses in defence and defensive midfield though then they aren't going to get any better.

He played ALF on the right wing and he loves playing people out of position. He was absolutely awful at us, his game management at Man Utd is bloody awful but he has world class players. He'll do fine because of that. His Championship signings were not all bad (Morrison and Manga) but the majority were frigging terrible. His PL transfers were an absolute disgrace. He brought in an army of overpaid lads that didn't want to be here (Cala, Burgstaller, Guerra etc) while the Norwegians were absolutely terrible. Can't stand him and they'll get rid of him before too long as they'll never challenge for titles.

All he knew when he came to us was how to win the Norwegian league with Norwegian players. He brought in some players he knew and tried to impose them and his system on a team that needed a different approach at that particular time.
    Hes got some decent players at Man Utd but is he the sort of manager who can get the best out of them and build a decent team? I dont think so.

they need to get shot of OGS now and get Poch in.

they have a good young squad atm (which is making OGS look good) what they need is a proven manager to turn them into a world class team again,

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He played ALF on the right wing and he loves playing people out of position. He was absolutely awful at us, his game management at Man Utd is bloody awful but he has world class players. He'll do fine because of that. His Championship signings were not all bad (Morrison and Manga) but the majority were frigging terrible. His PL transfers were an absolute disgrace. He brought in an army of overpaid lads that didn't want to be here (Cala, Burgstaller, Guerra etc) while the Norwegians were absolutely terrible. Can't stand him and they'll get rid of him before too long as they'll never challenge for titles.
    How the hell can you say Burgstaller didnt want to be here? Whenever he played he was one of our best players and got bombed out without being given a fair crack of the whip.

OGS signed plenty of players who done well for us. Morrison, Manga, Pilkington, Fabio, Kenwynne to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I tihnk most of OGS signings for us had something about them, burgstaller was an absolute bargain in particular.
    Was Manga one of his? and Guerra?
    I don't think it was the signings that were at fault, it was more that nobody knew what thy were supposed to be doing from one game to the next.
    Too many changes between games, and no real identity, I couldn't begin to tell you what type of football we were trying to play, and it didn't seem like the players knew either.

At manu now, they are far from the finished article, but I would say that he has arguably rectified his biggest failing at cardiff, in that Man U play with a definite style now and the players seem to know what is expected of them.
    If he doesn't address their weaknesses in defence and defensive midfield though then they aren't going to get any better.
    What did Guerra do ? Burgstaller was useless for us. What about Cala, Daehli, Eikram and Berget - all useless. Daehli looked half decent for about two games but then disappeared. The list goes on. Solskjaer was clueless and out of his depth.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What did Guerra do ? Burgstaller was useless for us. What about Cala, Daehli, Eikram and Berget - all useless. Daehli looked half decent for about two games but then disappeared. The list goes on. Solskjaer was clueless and out of his depth.
    I think they looked useless because we were a complete mess, and none of the players knew what they were supposed to be doing rather than their ability in the most part

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Hes got some decent players at Man Utd but is he the sort of manager who can get the best out of them and build a decent team? I dont think so.
    So who is? After all, David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho have tried and failed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    So who is? After all, David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho have tried and failed.
    Poch

Burgstaller was useless for us.
    Burgstaller started a grand total of two games for Cardiff City. The first was a 2-1 victory at Coventry in the League Cup. Burgstaller scored one of the goals. The second was a 3-1 Championship victory over Huddersfield at the CCS. All of his five appearances for the Bluebirds came in August 2014. He wasn't given a sniff after that.

Burgstaller started a grand total of two games for Cardiff City. The first was a 2-1 victory at Coventry in the League Cup. Burgstaller scored one of the goals. The second was a 3-1 Championship victory over Huddersfield at the CCS. All of his five appearances for the Bluebirds came in August 2014. He wasn't given a sniff after that.
    2 yers after leaving us he was playing and scoring in the Europa league, and 2 years after that he was playing and scoring in the Champions league.

Simeone or Pochetino possibly? If Ollie isnt competing in the league with Man City or Liverpool this season I think he could go. Maybe they could also have a look at Brendan Rodgers?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Simeone or Pochetino possibly? If Ollie isnt competing in the league with Man City or Liverpool this season I think he could go. Maybe they could also have a look at Brendan Rodgers?
    I think they;ll keep him as long as they've improved on this season and they're in the champions league.
    they seem to be in building mode, rather than win-now mode.

From what I remember Cala was ok too.

It was OGS constant tinkering that cost us.

United were 6th when he took over (having finished second the season before) and finished the season in sixth, five points off the top 4 after winning none of their last five games, including the 2-0 win for Cardiff at Old Trafford.

He's spent 200m in 12 months since and they finished fourth this season. Three cup semi-final defeats to add to the CV as well. They'll never win anything of note as long as he's in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How the hell can you say Burgstaller didnt want to be here? Whenever he played he was one of our best players and got bombed out without being given a fair crack of the whip.

OGS signed plenty of players who done well for us. Morrison, Manga, Pilkington, Fabio, Kenwynne to name a few.
    I don't know a lot but that's one thing I do know. I won't claim to be ITK and I'm certainly not now but I know for a fact they didn't want to be here.

Whatever happened to that Wolf guy who thought the sun shone out of Solskjaer’s arse?

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    United were 6th when he took over (having finished second the season before) and finished the season in sixth, five points off the top 4 after winning none of their last five games, including the 2-0 win for Cardiff at Old Trafford.

He's spent 200m in 12 months since and they finished fourth this season. Three cup semi-final defeats to add to the CV as well. They'll never win anything of note as long as he's in charge.
    I've jst looked at some figures, when he took over they were in 6th and 11 points adrift of a champions league spot.

From then until the end of the season they were the third best side in the league after Man City and Liverpool.

This season they've been the third best side in the division after man city and liverpool.

Those two are still a way out in front, but if he closes the gap o one or both then I can see them keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Whatever happened to that Wolf guy who thought the sun shone out of Solskjaer’s arse?
    He's back at Molde. He seems to follow Ole around (or rather did). Was part of Man U reserves when Ole was manager, then with him at Molde, us and Molde again before Ole went to Man U.
    Cant see him following him this time.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    He's spent 200m in 12 months since and they finished fourth this season.
    They finished third.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've jst looked at some figures, when he took over they were in 6th and 11 points adrift of a champions league spot.

From then until the end of the season they were the third best side in the league after Man City and Liverpool.

This season they've been the third best side in the division after man city and liverpool.

Those two are still a way out in front, but if he closes the gap o one or both then I can see them keeping him.
    I think that's their biggest mistake, keeping him because he's just about scraping where they should be (top 4). First decent Europa League team they came up against - beaten. Knocked out by Man City and Chelsea in the semi's of the cups. He has a lot of good players, especially in an attacking sense, to work with, better managers would not be needing a result on the final day to finish in the top 4 with Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood etc at their disposal.