+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news of an "explosion" at Manchester Arena

Re: Breaking news of an "explosion" at Manchester Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    What a sad world it's become. When you were 11 years old, did you have that attitude then? It probably never entered your head I suspect, it certainly didn't me when I was 11 back in 1958. When I was 11 my dad took me to London for a week as a "treat" for passing the 11+ exam. As a lad growing up in the Valleys who hadn't been further than Bristol (on a school trip to the zoo) it was an amazing adventure. Somewhere I have a photo of myself standing on the doorstep of 10 Downing Street - that's how much the world has changed since those halycon days!
    You're still much more likely to be killed crossing the road than you are in a terrorist attack. We are living in what is more or less the most peaceful time in history.

Don't be so dramatic and taken in by the 24/7 media coverage.

My best friends daughter and granddaughter were at the concert last night. Her granddaughter is only 7 and as she was feeling very tired so thank goodness her mother decided to leave the concert very early.

Because of this they never witnessed what happened.

My heart goes out to everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That Tylorstown character is really gripping my shit today.
    Firstly, i am from the Rhondda and i don't think anyone from Tylorstown has ever voted Tory! Which leads me to believe he's another ridiculous multi.

Secondly, give the stupid laughing emoji's a break on a thread discussing children beimg bombed ffs
    They've deleted his comments on the thread now, I got a PM from a mod to say so, and rightly so. It went way beyond what was acceptable. He's probably an alias of wez, dogfound etc. It's a bit of a giveaway that they're all replying to the same thread and they hop on and offline regularly.

Also, re your later comments about France, I was of the same opinion. My parents were dead worried about me going but I was fully intending that these bastards weren't going to stop me having the holiday of a lifetime. Still, I stayed in Nice, was staying on the promenade and watched a few games in the fan zone, that certainly brought it home how bad it could have been out there. I'd only left a few days before. I suppose you can't think like that though!

We have seen the worst and best of mankind. The worst being the depraved,callous murderer who deliberately targetted children and destroyed their lives in the most barbaric way possible. Then the trolls like Katie Hopkins talking about a "final solution". Then the haters who bombed a mosque in Manchester

Then the good. The lowly paid paramedics who had to deal with the utter carnage in their usual highly professional way. The doctors who worked through the night,the taxi drivers giving free lifts,the homeless person craving the dying woman.

It is nearly 12 years since the London bombings. We have learnt nothing in that time. Iraq,Afghanistan,Libya and now Syria. Until we get out of the Middle East there will be more Manchesters. Instead of taking the easy option of joining America in bombing campaigns our politicians need to be stronger and say no. The world is no betterfor our interve tions and in many ways worse. We have to get out of that region and leave the Syrians to sort things out for themselves

The media love showing this sort of thing and people love to tweet how they are "praying" for the victims.

I can't be the only one that thinks this is highly inappropriate, it's essentially saying "yes, religion is the problem here, lets fix it with more religion"

I'm honestly disgusted by what others seem to think is the nicest gesture in the world.

All you can do is get on with your lives or the terrorists win. I lived in London for over 30 years when the IRA were
    bombing away and I lost about half a dozen friends during that time. All wrong place wrong time.

I lost another friend on 7/7 but we have to keep going.

At the 2012 Olympics I was a Gamesmaker and every day when I travelled to the Olympic Park I looked around the packed carriages
    wondering if anyone had a rucksack bomb but we carried on.

I went to all the Wales games at Euro 2016 and the security was tight and rightly so but we all have to have some
    enjoyment in our lives otherwise we'd sit at home and go up the wall.

So keep calm and carry on everyone.

I know it's a dreadful cliche but at times like this it is all we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    boots on the ground, ****ing annihilate them
    annihilate who though Tiss?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    The media love showing this sort of thing and people love to tweet how they are "praying" for the victims.

I can't be the only one that thinks this is highly inappropriate, it's essentially saying "yes, religion is the problem here, lets fix it with more religion"

I'm honestly disgusted by what others seem to think is the nicest gesture in the world.

Completely agree with you.
    You may as well hold up signs saying my imaginary man in the sky and book of fairy tales is better than yours.
    Blind religious belief is almost always the cause of these incidents.
    Makes for a nice, tidy hashtag though, which of course is the important thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Completely agree with you.
    You may as well hold up signs saying my imaginary man in the sky and book of fairy tales is better than yours.
    Blind religious belief is almost always the cause of these incidents.
    Makes for a nice, tidy hashtag though, which of course is the important thing...
    I don't think this is the thread to debate it but if people derive comfort whether you believe it or not is entirely up to them.

People are people and if they didn't war over religion they would war over something else wherther it would be money, land or even a football team!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think this is the thread to debate it but if people derive comfort whether you believe it or not is entirely up to them.

People are people and if they didn't war over religion they would war over something else wherther it would be money, land or even a football team!
    Yep, fair enough.

Probably not the best thread to debate it.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    annihilate who though Tiss?
    ISIS

It does beg the question that if these guys are known about previously, but haven't necessarily done anything yet - should the government have a watch on them 24/7 I.e. Tracker in the smartphone, hack into emails etc.

These circumstances simply cannot go on, it's sick

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    It does beg the question that if these guys are known about previously, but haven't necessarily done anything yet - should the government have a watch on them 24/7 I.e. Tracker in the smartphone, hack into emails etc.

Resources are finite, of course.

There was footage on the news earlier of a minutes silence held at a garden party at Buckingham Palace.

Half of the guests were stood there, phones in hand, filming Liz and Phil-the-Greek, paying their respects.
    Wtf is wrong with people?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    All you can do is get on with your lives or the terrorists win. I lived in London for over 30 years when the IRA were
    bombing away and I lost about half a dozen friends during that time. All wrong place wrong time.

I lost another friend on 7/7 but we have to keep going.

At the 2012 Olympics I was a Gamesmaker and every day when I travelled to the Olympic Park I looked around the packed carriages
    wondering if anyone had a rucksack bomb but we carried on.

I went to all the Wales games at Euro 2016 and the security was tight and rightly so but we all have to have some
    enjoyment in our lives otherwise we'd sit at home and go up the wall.

So keep calm and carry on everyone.

I know it's a dreadful cliche but at times like this it is all we can do.
    Sorry for your losses - must be harrowing losing friends to mindless acts of terrorism. In whose name/religion, etc? Who the **** cares, really? My daughter wanted to go to this concert but luckily we didn't get tickets for her. Some of her friends from school went and thankfully are alive and well, badly scarred and shaken though. My boss knows a couple who went with their two daughters. The mother was knocked out by a bin that was blown into her. By pure fluke the kids and husband are ok. He is an independant security expert and never noticed any threat etc which makes it pretty obvious that this probably wouldn't have been prevented even if people had thier wits about them.

I am taking my son into Manchester on Saturday. Am I scared? Nope. Will I think twice? Nope. **** them - if we had to think about everything we did after attrocities like this then life would be pretty shite. Like you say - life goes on. Don't let these scum ruin your life.

ISIS
    This was just some bloke from Manchester. The 2005 London bombers were from Yorkshire. The Westminster bridge attacker was from Kent. Lee Rigbys killers were from London.
    This problem cannot be solved with military action.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

To what end? Undercover police infiltrating groups of people? We have seen examples in recent history where those being spied on are just (mostly) peaceful alternative voices. There is a very difficult equation based on not over-reaching with control and force and not doing enough to keep people safe and typically the immediate aftermath of a horrific event won't produce the best answer.

For today all I will think about is that for a what must have seemed like an age there were children and parents not knowing if their loved one was hurt or safe. That is such a scary thought.

ISIS

Im sure if you give em ISIS's address they would be only to happy to annihilate em for you. give it a little thought mate ffs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We have seen the worst and best of mankind. The worst being the depraved,callous murderer who deliberately targetted children and destroyed their lives in the most barbaric way possible. Then the trolls like Katie Hopkins talking about a "final solution". Then the haters who bombed a mosque in Manchester

Then the good. The lowly paid paramedics who had to deal with the utter carnage in their usual highly professional way. The doctors who worked through the night,the taxi drivers giving free lifts,the homeless person craving the dying woman.

It is nearly 12 years since the London bombings. We have learnt nothing in that time. Iraq,Afghanistan,Libya and now Syria. Until we get out of the Middle East there will be more Manchesters. Instead of taking the easy option of joining America in bombing campaigns our politicians need to be stronger and say no. The world is no betterfor our interve tions and in many ways worse. We have to get out of that region and leave the Syrians to sort things out for themselves
    Well done for using dead children to peddle your political agenda,you odious little prick

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    To what end? Undercover police infiltrating groups of people? We have seen examples in recent history where those being spied on are just (mostly) peaceful alternative voices. There is a very difficult equation based on not over-reaching with control and force and not doing enough to keep people safe and typically the immediate aftermath of a horrific event won't produce the best answer.

For today all I will think about is that for a what must have seemed like an age there were children and parents not knowing if their loved one was hurt or safe. That is such a scary thought.
    Debate is for another day, this has been a hard day for me emotionally and I'm not connected to anyone who is suffering. Just moved by the sheer atrocity that took place, and hoping there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    Well done for using dead children to peddle your political agenda,you odious little prick
    Bit harsh mate! After such a terrible thing happens, it perfectly natural for people to try and make sense of it and look at the reasons why this has happened. That's hardly peddling an agenda.
    It can never ever justify what has happened, but inevitably you have to ask "why"?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    This was just some bloke from Manchester. The 2005 London bombers were from Yorkshire. The Westminster bridge attacker was from Kent. Lee Rigbys killers were from London.
    This problem cannot be solved with military action.
    ISIS give the extremists something to latch on to

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    I won't lower myself to your level

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Terrible times - nothing to say really other than the familes and friends who lost loved ones are in my thoughts and I feel for them all.

The attack level just been raised to imminent / critical.

Armed troops are now being deployed with the Police PM just announced. That still wont stop this happening again though.

The only way to stop this is a solution which will never be used. Interment of anyone who is on the radar and put under tag monitoring or kept at her majesty's pleasure until the problem is sorted - we cant have any more attacks like this one. I value democracy and freedom - I value a child's life more though.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it has ever been "critical"?

I wouldn't have a problem with someone being tagged if they were deemed a threat. It does seem this man and the Westminster bomber were known to the Police so clearly they were a possible threat. However some will slip through the net and or become radicalised so I cannot see how this threat will be completely eradicated