Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news of an "explosion" at Manchester Arena

Re: Breaking news of an "explosion" at Manchester Arena

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You are feedback and I claim my five pounds
    He was the master.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    Suggest you read a bit of history or the Quran, It's a book about conquest.
    Which UK terrorist attacks happened over those centuries?

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Which UK terrorist attacks happened over those centuries?
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    That article is so full of "what about this, though?" it's ridiculous, and such a desperate, wet attempt at deflection and muddying the waters that I can only assume you haven't read it yourself since I know you're a reasonable person.

The complaint is that Mohammed was married to Aisha when she was 6 and he was in his 50's, and the marriage was consummated when she was 9, as written by Aisha herself.

the explanations in that article range from:

"she must have entered puberty early"
    "what if the book was wrong and it meant 19 instead of 9?"
    "King John of England married a 12 year old anyway"
    "some Muslims doubt she was that young"
    "she was engaged to someone else before she got married"
    "they probably married just to unite tribes and 'caring for widows and orphans'(?)"
    "she was no wallflower, to paint her as a victim is at odds with her persona"

Probably the worst thing about that article is how on one hand they say "it was the norm at the time for these marriages to occur" whilst simultaneously sort of saying "no of course it didn't happen, that would be terrible".

It's just plainly dangerous for people to be able to revise history to edit out the unsavoury bits, nobody learns anything and progress becomes stifled.

History was fvcked up, that's why most educated people no longer live their lives by the "truths" in books written back then.

Now other people might be cool about allowing some ambiguity on this topic but for me, this is one where we need to be very clear about what is right and wrong, regardless of whose feelings might get hurt by pointing it out.

From accusations of pedophilia from the prophet who started the religion, right up to the modern day throwing gay people off buildings, stoning people in the street and blowing up children in concerts... can someone tell me why are people so keen to jump to the defence of this stuff?

Seems that he at least had some restraint about him

Observant Muslim males are prohibited from wearing gold. It's a very big no no. What's the relevance? It's a particularly strange cult.

Apparently theologians usually put the virgin Mary's age at the birth of Jesus at around 12 or 13.
    Does that make god a paedo?
    How they arrive at that number is beyond me though.

Then again the Bible claims some people to have lived for over 900 years, so I'm not sure it can be considered completely reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Apparently theologians usually put the virgin Mary's age at the birth of Jesus at around 12 or 13.

Then again the Bible claims some people to have lived for over 900 years, so I'm not sure it can be considered completely reliable.
    I guess because that was the normal age for the time.

I also just read that because she was pubescent, married but a virgin, then Joseph could well have been quite a bit older than her.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Maybe we should just assign religion to dustbin of human history. It is all unproven rubbish about the man in sky, son of the man in the sky. Mohammed went to study the Jews to see why / how it worked - before 'inventing ' Islam. That why they have so much in common.

Ban it all right now - maybe there is time for a Ban All Religion party before June 8th ?
    Why did you PBUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

No, because he's not real.

Maybe we should just assign religion to dustbin of human history. It is all unproven rubbish about the man in sky, son of the man in the sky. Mohammed went to study the Jews to see why / how it worked - before 'inventing ' Islam. That why they have so much in common.

Ban it all right now - maybe there is time for a Ban All Religion party before June 8th ?
    Like they did in the Soviet Union?

DM's quirky idea for listing the deceased

The definition of "roll call":

roll call
    noun
    the process of calling out a list of names to establish who is present.

Which clown decided on that wordage. On some weird scroll type clip art crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Fair enough.
    Why is it fair enough?

There have been thousands of religions throughout the ages. The most successful ones are simply those which travelled on the coat-tails of empires. Religion is all about indoctrination, gullibility and not having an enquiring mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There have been thousands of religions throughout the ages. The most successful ones are simply those which travelled on the coat-tails of empires. Religion is all about indoctrination, gullibility and not having an enquiring mind.
    Unfortunately people respond to ficticious stories over reality. This ancient knowledge has been used for thousands of years to control the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    Why is it fair enough?
    You don't think Tommy Robinson founded the EDL?