+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Allardyce quitting?

Allardyce quitting?

Breaking news on Daily Mail

• EXCLUSIVE: Sam Allardyce has decided to quit as Crystal Palace manager
    • The 62-year-old wanted assurances before committing his future to the Eagles
    • He guided club to Premier League safety after difficult start at Selhurst Park
    • Allardyce only joined the club on December 23 on a two-and-a-half-year deal
    • It's believed the ex-England boss has cleared his desk at club's training ground

Re: Allardyce quitting?

Can't see him getting a more attractive job in the Prem.
    Saying on Sky he could be off to China.

A number of different sources pretty much saying the same thing. Chris Coleman is one of the early favourites to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Can't see him getting a more attractive job in the Prem.
    Saying on Sky he could be off to China.
    There are one or two possibilities in the premier league but I suspect that if he goes anywhere then a massive pay day in China is a more likely option

Did his job kept them up

He's obviously has his big survival bonus, can't see a way of improving Palace, and so he'll bide his time, wait until December/January, when he'll be offered another massive survival bonus by whichever team is in the bottom three in the Premier league and decides to sack their manager.

Newcastle in Jan 2018 imo (In the meantime he'll be a pundit for a handful of Sky Sports live matches).

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    He's obviously has his big survival bonus, can't see a way of improving Palace, and so he'll bide his time, wait until December/January, when he'll be offered another massive survival bonus by whichever team is in the bottom three in the Premier league and decides to sack their manager.

Newcastle in Jan 2018 imo (In the meantime he'll be a pundit for a handful of Sky Sports live matches).
    Sounds about right or maybe planning a return to Sunderland.
    Spedger

First Team

Seems like a strange decision as no indication that there had been a bust up with the owner.
    No stranger to controversy so let's see how this one plays out.

Holloway - relegation threatened
    Pulis - platform being built but Pulis chose to go elsewhere
    Pardew - relegation threatened
    Allardyce - platform being built but Allardyce chose to go elsewhere?

Be hilarious if he got the arsenal job

Retiring

Says he wants to enjoy what life he has left. Spend more time with family, travel. Can't knock him for that. Did his job at Palace and redeemed himself after the England stitch up,

I like Big Sam and wish him well.

Retiring

Says he wants to enjoy what life he has left. Spend more time with family, travel. Can't knock him for that. Did his job at Palace and redeemed himself after the England stitch up,

I'm a fan as well, think he's very underratted. There was some truth when he mentioned that he would easily win the league with madrid and that it's harder lower down then further up. Not sure why he gets such ridicule in some quarters.

Started at the very bottom and built himself up, was a pioneer with technology and statistics approach to tactics and coaching and by all accounts a great man manager (he polished some turds in his time). Bolton finished 6th FFS and when he quit he was knocking on a top 4 place!

Retiring

i'm good with that. i like the fella.

He had a bit of a health scare a few years ago didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He had a bit of a health scare a few years ago didn't he?
    He was involved in a BBC prog years ago when heart monitors were strapped to managers to monitor their heart rates during the highs and lows of matches. Allardyce really 'lived' his game (During the match, Allardyce's blood pressure and heart rate hit potentially dangerous levels. At one point, his heart rate reached 160 beats per minute, four times his normal resting pulse) - but how much can a heart take?

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1758132.stm
    Last edited by Cyclops; 24-05-17 at 07:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Be hilarious if he got the arsenal job
    I don't think it'd be the worst signing in the world?.

He'd at least rip into the players if they aren't trying.

edit - Just read he has no interest in other jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    i'm good with that. i like the fella.
    I dont believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
    Real reason will undoubtedly be breaking soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I dont believe a word that comes out of his mouth.
    Real reason will undoubtedly be breaking soon.
    Perhaps hes replacing Strachan?

He'll be back. The silver bullet hasn't been fired yet.

I think he's going to try vaping first.

Perhaps hes replacing Strachan?
    Indeed , he has proved himself to be a great manager and good honest bloke, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    He was involved in a BBC prog years ago when heart monitors were strapped to managers to monitor their heart rates during the highs and lows of matches. Allardyce really 'lived' his game (During the match, Allardyce's blood pressure and heart rate hit potentially dangerous levels. At one point, his heart rate reached 160 beats per minute, four times his normal resting pulse) - but how much can a heart take?

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1758132.stm
    Thanks for posting that link. A few days ago, Allardyce was talking about the work that needed to be done in the summer at Palace and then he quits amid talk of wanting to savour life while he's relatively young - I would have thought that, especially in his profession, someone with his record of heart problems would have fairly regular check ups and it may be that he has been told to slow down recently.

Mind you, given the way football, especially at the top level, has a habit of making you become more cynical, it wouldn't surprised me in the slightest if those who are saying that the real reason for Allardyce quitting may become clear shortly end up beign proved right!

To put this heart rate study into perspective, when I was cycle time-trialing I used a heart-rate monitor. The idea was to check that your effort was on the cusp - just beneath the anaerobic threshold so that you were working flat out - without going into the red and blowing up. This controlled effort could last around an hour if you were cycling 25 miles. The monitor never lied no matter how you felt. In my fifties, my limit was in the low 190s bpm.

I think the danger for Allardyce and other managers (and even fans) is that we are talking about sudden explosions of increased heart rates when a goal is scored - or there's a bad foul or a debatable decision by the ref.