+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Islamic State threat as assessed by British political candidates.

Re: Islamic State threat as assessed by British political candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I was minimising the threat because the threat is indeed minuscule. In addition to statistically having more to fear by being mowed down and killed by sozzled criminal drivers, we are also statistically a great deal more likely to win a million quid playing the lottery as Camelot reckons 347 Britons became millionaires in 2016. All I'm doing is adding some much needed perspective. If more people turned off their TV and switched on their brain they'd figure it out for themselves.
    The threat isn't minuscule though.

GIVEN THE CHANCE

Acting level headed, as you are doing, is fine in some circumstances. Helpful. This isn't one of them.

And by the way, drink drivers mainly don't directly wish to kill others. It is sheer idiocy but there we are.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 24-05-17 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    If you get in a car - or cross the road - there is a chance of an accident caused by a drink driver.

If you take your children to a teen pop concert - the worst thing you should expect is to be bored silly - not blown up. We all roll the dice every day - but there are danger zones and there should be safe zones in some of the things we do.
    The worst you should expect is being stabbed to death in the UK wherever you go, it's a pandemic. The other day 11 people died in London in as many days from stabbings, many teenagers. Across the UK the numbers are shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Locked tbem up for how long? Life?
    Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Yes please
    But who? If you're looking up people for committing no crimes you need to draw the line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Are you suggesting driving vehicles in the UK should cease so that 1,900 Britons won't die each year? If you are, then you're entitled to your opinion. Mine is the UK would become a third world country in next to no time as the economy would collapse resulting in people dying like flies.
    Cars? Drunk drivers? nice wat to hijack a thread, totally irrelevant.

I think people are missing Organ's point a little I don't think he's saying nothing should be done or that the attack yesterday wasn't a disgusting event and it should be ignored.

All he's saying is we don't need to stop going about or normal lives and giving up all our civil liberties for something that is very rare in this country.

Either or intelligence agencies are already limiting these attacks well enough or there aren't many terrorists in this country. I assume anyone who is planning a terrorist attack is locked up and it isn't reported so others aren't encouraged.

The problem with terrorism is it can be carried out by one person without much planning, how do you stop that?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Yes please
    You think we should lock up people who we suspect might one day commit an awful crime for their whole life?

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think people are missing Organ's point a little I don't think he's saying nothing should be done or that the attack yesterday wasn't a disgusting event and it should be ignored.

All he's saying is we don't need to stop going about or normal lives and giving up all our civil liberties for something that is very rare in this country.
    That'd be a better way of explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    That'd be a better way of explaining it.
    It was pretty obvious what he was saying just typical of any discussion on the internet for people to pick up on one part of a discussion take it out of context and run with it derailing the whole discussion. Some critical thinking doesn't go a miss sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It was pretty obvious what he was saying just typical of any discussion on the internet for people to pick up on one part of a discussion take it out of context and run with it derailing the whole discussion. Some critical thinking doesn't go a miss sometimes.
    That isn't critical thinking.

It is interpreting an opinion that isn't explained well.

Read his first sentence

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Here's a thought. When people are saying on some of these stupid so called 'patriot' websites 'why aren't the Muslim community and their leaders speaking out'
    Who do you think is providing the intelligence services the information has stopped many potential attacks over the past 10 years or so?
    This post has been overlooked a bit, but it's a good point that I hadn't considered before.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This post has been overlooked a bit, but it's a good point that I hadn't considered before.
    And they do speak out and are speaking out, its just gets overlooked conveniently. Many of the taxi drivers, emergency services, hotel employees and hospital staff were Muslim. Shirley helping directly is better than saying we "pray for manchester".