Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
Bumping this thread because it's a good discussion on Joe from a football standpoint.

That OPR team is what I imagine to be Warnock's ideal system. The main reason being that he was given plenty of freedom to sign a ton of players, therefore we can assume he shaped the team how he wanted to.

Neither Derry nor Faulin were quick. In fact, the contrary. Derry was a very very slow player. But it makes total sense to me to load the middle of the pitch with defensive players. This is where most goals are conceded. It also gives us license to be more caviller on the flanks. I wonder if Declan might be given another chance to prove himself?

Ledley and Gunnar on recent form would be terrific and we'll be extremely hard to play through.

Agree on the no.10. Pace and mobility and the ability for us to pull the opposition out of position will be key. An ideal could be we opt for another similarity from that excellent QPR side in that the no.10 and the wingers all have the ability to switch positions and interchange during the game. Hoillet can certainly play this way. But for me, Kadeem hasn't shown enough footballing smarts in the past to play this way. Pilkington certainly can positionally and with his ambidextrousness, but has proved too inconsistent and has too little pace for the task.
I totally agree about a number 10, that's the missing part of the puzzle for me.
Not sure who we could get who could do the job though, as good ones are hard to come by.
Warnock had taarabt at QPR and gave him carte blanche to do his thing. Was unplayable in the championship, but has been useless ever since.

Another alternative would be to go with 2 out and out strikers and play a 4-2-2-2.
Under Dave Jones we had deep central midfielders and wingers with 2 strikers.