+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Ledley

Re: Joe Ledley

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Footballing ability is more important than physical attributes, what's the point being quick if you can't pass or control a ball?
    I don't know why people are saying he's slow. Ledley was and still is a very mobile footballer with a great engine.

I don't reckon he's slow for a central midfielder and certainly not compared to the ones we've got.

He's free and good enough to be a Wales regular and fringe Premiership player unless his wage demands are excessive then we should be delighted if he comes back

People have been talking about our side lacking pace for years (with me having plenty to say on the subject as well), but I thought we took significant steps towards sorting the problem out in the second half of the season just ended - especially in attack. If Hoilett and Kadeem Harris sign new contracts, then we'll have a front three which compares well with most in the Championship when it comes to sheer pace and, even if Manga leaves, we have centrebacks with decent pace in Connolly and Bamba, while Morrison is not as slow as many make him out to be - our full backs are seldom found wanting for pace either.

I agree that we could do with more pace in central midfield and Joe Ledley would not provide that, but as Lawnmower says, he shows little sign of losing the mobility he has always possessed - if I would like to see us with a bit more pace in midfield, it would be in the area behind our striker (i.e. a number ten) and Ledley has never been that sort of player.

As far as I'm concerned, Joe Ledley would improve the team and he's always been a real team man, so I'd definitely like to see him come home if a deal can be done.

Blue in the Face

Bumping this thread because it's a good discussion on Joe from a football standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Warnock's QPR team played with 2 deep cm in derry and faurlin. Also kind of makes sense if we are looking at having attacking fullbacks.
    That leaves either 2 wingers and 2 strikers or wingers a number 10 and a striker.
    That OPR team is what I imagine to be Warnock's ideal system. The main reason being that he was given plenty of freedom to sign a ton of players, therefore we can assume he shaped the team how he wanted to.

Neither Derry nor Faulin were quick. In fact, the contrary. Derry was a very very slow player. But it makes total sense to me to load the middle of the pitch with defensive players. This is where most goals are conceded. It also gives us license to be more caviller on the flanks. I wonder if Declan might be given another chance to prove himself?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    People have been talking about our side lacking pace for years (with me having plenty to say on the subject as well), but I thought we took significant steps towards sorting the problem out in the second half of the season just ended - especially in attack. If Hoilett and Kadeem Harris sign new contracts, then we'll have a front three which compares well with most in the Championship when it comes to sheer pace and, even if Manga leaves, we have centrebacks with decent pace in Connolly and Bamba, while Morrison is not as slow as many make him out to be - our full backs are seldom found wanting for pace either.

I agree that we could do with more pace in central midfield and Joe Ledley would not provide that, but as Lawnmower says, he shows little sign of losing the mobility he has always possessed - if I would like to see us with a bit more pace in midfield, it would be in the area behind our striker (i.e. a number ten) and Ledley has never been that sort of player.

As far as I'm concerned, Joe Ledley would improve the team and he's always been a real team man, so I'd definitely like to see him come home if a deal can be done.
    Ledley and Gunnar on recent form would be terrific and we'll be extremely hard to play through.

Agree on the no.10. Pace and mobility and the ability for us to pull the opposition out of position will be key. An ideal could be we opt for another similarity from that excellent QPR side in that the no.10 and the wingers all have the ability to switch positions and interchange during the game. Hoillet can certainly play this way. But for me, Kadeem hasn't shown enough footballing smarts in the past to play this way. Pilkington certainly can positionally and with his ambidextrousness, but has proved too inconsistent and has too little pace for the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Bumping this thread because it's a good discussion on Joe from a football standpoint.

That OPR team is what I imagine to be Warnock's ideal system. The main reason being that he was given plenty of freedom to sign a ton of players, therefore we can assume he shaped the team how he wanted to.

Neither Derry nor Faulin were quick. In fact, the contrary. Derry was a very very slow player. But it makes total sense to me to load the middle of the pitch with defensive players. This is where most goals are conceded. It also gives us license to be more caviller on the flanks. I wonder if Declan might be given another chance to prove himself?

Ledley and Gunnar on recent form would be terrific and we'll be extremely hard to play through.

Agree on the no.10. Pace and mobility and the ability for us to pull the opposition out of position will be key. An ideal could be we opt for another similarity from that excellent QPR side in that the no.10 and the wingers all have the ability to switch positions and interchange during the game. Hoillet can certainly play this way. But for me, Kadeem hasn't shown enough footballing smarts in the past to play this way. Pilkington certainly can positionally and with his ambidextrousness, but has proved too inconsistent and has too little pace for the task.
    I totally agree about a number 10, that's the missing part of the puzzle for me.
    Not sure who we could get who could do the job though, as good ones are hard to come by.
    Warnock had taarabt at QPR and gave him carte blanche to do his thing. Was unplayable in the championship, but has been useless ever since.

Another alternative would be to go with 2 out and out strikers and play a 4-2-2-2.
    Under Dave Jones we had deep central midfielders and wingers with 2 strikers.

Agreed personal terms apparently.

Theres a number 10 called Robert Zulj who's available on a free and has been one of the stand out players in bundersliga II. Will probably go to a bigger club than us though.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Agreed personal terms apparently.
    Where did you hear this babes?

Theres a number 10 called Robert Zulj who's available on a free and has been one of the stand out players in bundersliga II. Will probably go to a bigger club than us though.
    Maybe we need a "player scout" thread to help the club out

Where did you hear this babes?

Maybe we need a "player scout" thread to help the club out
    Hopefully the club scouting network extends further than this message board.

Apparently Mainz are after this Zulj fella so that's probably the end of that.
    Pity as his you tube montage is pretty impressive

Blue in the Face

Hopefully the club scouting network extends further than this message board.

Apparently Mainz are after this Zulj fella so that's probably the end of that.
    Pity as his you tube montage is pretty impressive
    Will check him out.

The club's scouting network definitely goes further than CCMB.

They check youtube too apparently.

Well here he is at the CCS with a shirt on so it must be a done deal:

Will check him out.

The club's scouting network definitely goes further than CCMB.

They check youtube too apparently.
    And Football Manager

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Please say it's so!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Well here he is at the CCS with a shirt on so it must be a done deal:

Photoshop mate. They put the beard in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Championship Manager
    FYP

If true, welcome back Joe.

Nice to see the club doing some good business early too

Please say it's so!

Photoshop mate. They put the beard in the wrong place.

FYP

They're getting their worth out of Mehmet's copy
    Championship_Manager_01_02_cover.jpg

18740315_10155034393131273_4448640196965777056_n.jpg

Chris Ledley shared this earlier, looks positive.

dont get your hopes up lads. ma sources tell me that joe is quitting football. he has studied meterolgogy and has a job lined up with bbc wales to replace derek as a weatherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    There's not when you haven't got any of it.

StT.
    <><
    Paul Scholes and Ray Wilkins spring to mind as top draw defensive midfield players with not an ounce of pace between them.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Ledley, Gunnar, Ralls - happy with that choice of midfield players.

Is Noone , Harris going ? havent heard any news on Whitts - presume 1st June is when they release players.
    Contracts end on 30th June. They can talk to anyone now and sign pre-contracts from Friday (I think), or could have spoken to anyone abroad from 1st Jan.

Warnock said it is time for Noone to move on, he nearly went on loan to Burton in January. I'd imagine Whitts and Manga will go, with Harris and Hoilett staying. We've offered Harris a contract so clubs will have to go to a tribunal and pay a fee to get him as he's under 24.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    18740315_10155034393131273_4448640196965777056_n.jpg

Chris Ledley shared this earlier, looks positive.
    Hope that's a preview of our kit for next season as well, although that does look suspiciously like a redbird on the shorts .

Hope that's a preview of our kit for next season as well, although that does look suspiciously like a redbird on the shorts .
    .. and a squad number.

It's the old badge Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Contracts end on 30th June. They can talk to anyone now and sign pre-contracts from Friday (I think), or could have spoken to anyone abroad from 1st Jan.

Warnock said it is time for Noone to move on, he nearly went on loan to Burton in January. I'd imagine Whitts and Manga will go, with Harris and Hoilett staying. We've offered Harris a contract so clubs will have to go to a tribunal and pay a fee to get him as he's under 24.
    That's how I understand the contract situation too. Will start to see things happen in June.

Regarding Kadeem , don't we only get a fee if he was part of our academy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    That's how I understand the contract situation too. Will start to see things happen in June.

Regarding Kadeem , don't we only get a fee if he was part of our academy ?
    No, we get a fee as he has been offered a contract on an equal or higher wage (presumably) and is under 23. It will go to a tribunal if the clubs can't agree a fee. For example, Ings cost Liverpool £6.5m, plus £1.5 in bonuses and 20% sell on, this was agreed at tribunal.