+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paul Dummett has quit Wales duty

Paul Dummett has quit Wales duty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40049274

Very disappointing and if he would prefer to be on holiday then fine. Even worse, that he didn't tell Coleman face to face or even on the phone, had his agent do it. What happened to being a man?

Re: Paul Dummett has quit Wales duty

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Very disappointing and if he would prefer to be on holiday then fine. Even worse, that he didn't tell Coleman face to face or even on the phone, had his agent do it. What happened to being a man?
    Coleman would rather change formation than play Dummett, for whatever reason he doesn't rate him. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change of heart after 2018 when Cookie leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Coleman would rather change formation than play Dummett, for whatever reason he doesn't rate him. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a change of heart after 2018 when Cookie leaves.
    It doesn't matter if the manager chose to play 5 strikers instead of you, if it's your country you should never quit. He clearly doesn't have much affiliation with Wales and there's no way I would have him back now in future squads.

This was the time when we really needed Dummett to be called up and he might've even started in June. Collins and Taylor both missing and it has left us a little thin.

It doesn't matter if the manager chose to play 5 strikers instead of you, if it's your country you should never quit. He clearly doesn't have much affiliation with Wales and there's no way I would have him back now in future squads.

This was the time when we really needed Dummett to be called up and he might've even started in June. Collins and Taylor both missing and it has left us a little thin.
    Thats the issue its not his country. With this system in place, this kind of thing will happen from time to time. You just have to accept it and move on.

If your heart isnt in something, you dont really work on things when they are going wrong.

It's a strange one he's not Welsh but does qualify so would imagine doesn't have the desire and loyalty some others have.

He plays for a decent club now in PL so he's already at a high level.

I can kind of see why he did it.

He gets named in so many squads but only has 2 caps and when you consider some of the players with so many more I can understand he is probably right to feel hard done by.

I think he was certainly one of our best 23 players and it would have been hard for him to miss out on euros.

I think Coleman should have given him some more game time because he suits our formation so well as being versetile along the back.

I personally think he's should have been in the team. The frustrating thing is we would have been able to use him for such a long time.

Collins and Williams time is running out quickly and we need players available to step in.

As glorious as being a footballer is I can understand it must be frustrating as an international squad player who rarely gets a game . If you welsh and playing high level championship or high you would be frustrated not to be in the team

He should have played in against Serbia at home, he would have slotted in perfectly where Davies plays. Also, it isn't his country, he's a Geodie. Maybe he feels he can't be bothered to be a squad player. He made his debut in 2014, he's been in almost every squad and has played twice in friendlies. I don't want him back and it has annoyed me but I can understand.

We all know he's English, but if Wales isn't a priority because he's English then why did he say yes in the first place?!

Using the argument he wasn't born here is total rubbish. 9 or 10 players in our squad who are not born in Wales don't have this attitude. If you want to play for Wales and you qualify through parents or grandparents then come and play, if you're doing it because you think it's potentially easy game time at international level which can add a couple of quid to your contracts, then feck off (I'm assuming this is what Dummett thought three years ago).

I can understand him being upset at not playing more than twice and that's how anyone would feel. You simply do not quit unless your heart isn't in it, and if it isn't now then it probably never was.

Great news. I can stop looking out for his progress when he has barely any chance of playing.

Strange he hasn't been given more of a chance though.

We all know he's English, but if Wales isn't a priority because he's English then why did he say yes in the first place?!

Using the argument he wasn't born here is total rubbish. 9 or 10 players in our squad who are not born in Wales don't have this attitude. If you want to play for Wales and you qualify through parents or grandparents then come and play, if you're doing it because you think it's potentially easy game time at international level which can add a couple of quid to your contracts, then feck off (I'm assuming this is what Dummett thought three years ago).

I can understand him being upset at not playing more than twice and that's how anyone would feel. You simply do not quit unless your heart isn't in it, and if it isn't now then it probably never was.
    If you scout around and look for players with Welsh grandparents then a percentage of them will be less committed than others. Its an obvious disadvantage (for every Ashley Williams there is a Freddy Eastwood).

I can understand why you take the opportunity, Its a chance to play international football. It could benefit your career, it will give you experience you may never have the change to experience. However as we see if it doesn't go swimmingly there isn't the desire there for some to work at it.

Blue in the Face

He's been half committed all along and this is well overdue. Looks like he's used his being selected to announce his retirement for maximum impact. Seriously **** players like this. They are absolute poison for what we have built and are trying to sustain for the long run. Sets a terrible example to younger players. I think Cookie's words are soft and perhaps well considered for political reasons. In truth, Dummett should never ever be considered for Wales again.

Great news for Walsh, Lockyer and potentially others. Hopefully the exposure from being selected in Welsh squads will see them get moves to higher levels. I believe they both have potential to be Championship players at least.

When you've got lads like Marley Watkins coming out and saying how much of an honour it is to be called up for Wales after being patient for the best part of 4 years, Dummett is nothing.

When you've got lads like Marley Watkins coming out and saying how much of an honour it is to be called up for Wales after being patient for the best part of 4 years, Dummett is nothing.
    I think Dummett said similar things... Point I'm trying to make is actions speak louder than words but I do think Marley does care. Dummett refers to himself as Welsh in this and speaks pretty well, albeit 3 years ago. I think this has a lot to do with the fact he's been an unused sub on almost every occasion. For whatever reason, Coleman does not fancy him.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...es-cap-7232260

100% committed or fook him

No loss

Coleman has totally ignored him so no surprise that he has had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Coleman has totally ignored him so no surprise that he has had enough.
    Yes, we're talking about someone who has been playing regular Championship and, more often than not, Premier League football for years now and he's still yet to win a cap in a competitive game at the age of twenty five - seems very odd to me.

Anyway, his club have said that he has not quit Wales

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, we're talking about someone who has been playing regular Championship and, more often than not, Premier League football for years now and he's still yet to win a cap in a competitive game at the age of twenty five - seems very odd to me.

Anyway, his club have said that he has not quit Wales

This would all have been avoided if he contacted Coleman personally, just shows that the "modern day" footballer is pretty pathetic. This is all out in the press and suddenly he says (through his agent again) that he does want to continue.
    And he says he is taking a rest, it's not as if the left back role in June is taken so he could have started for sure, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    It's a strange one he's not Welsh but does qualify so would imagine doesn't have the desire and loyalty some others have.

He plays for a decent club now in PL so he's already at a high level.

I can kind of see why he did it.

He gets named in so many squads but only has 2 caps and when you consider some of the players with so many more I can understand he is probably right to feel hard done by.

I think he was certainly one of our best 23 players and it would have been hard for him to miss out on euros.

I think Coleman should have given him some more game time because he suits our formation so well as being versetile along the back.

I personally think he's should have been in the team. The frustrating thing is we would have been able to use him for such a long time.

Collins and Williams time is running out quickly and we need players available to step in.

As glorious as being a footballer is I can understand it must be frustrating as an international squad player who rarely gets a game . If you welsh and playing high level championship or high you would be frustrated not to be in the team
    You can only play 11 players and 3 changes per game wether you're Welsh, English, Spanish or Italian!

I don't see why it's more frustrating for a Welsh championship player that he doesn't get picked ahead of players in a team that is made up of Premier League league players?

No player has a divine right to be in the team and it's Paul Dummet we are talking about, its hardly someone as good as Ben Davies getting overlooked.

F*ck him!
    Last edited by J R Hartley; 27-05-17 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You can only play 11 players and 3 changes per game wether you're Welsh, English, Spanish or Italian!

I don't see why it's more frustrating for a Welsh championship player that he doesn't get picked ahead of players in a team that is made up of Premier League league players?

No player has a divine right to be in the team and it's Paul Dummet we are talking about, its hardly someone as good as Ben Davies getting overlooked.

F*ck him!
    He's probably better or at least on a par with Taylor so its probably frustrating seeing Taylor play ahead of him constantly and Dummett not get a chance

Being selected for your country should be an honour whether you are doing the Gunter role or Owain Fon Williams role.

That he has mentioned family reasons and suggested it's not a long term measure will hopefully see a more forgiving attitude towards him, although doing it via an agent is not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He's probably better or at least on a par with Taylor so its probably frustrating seeing Taylor play ahead of him constantly and Dummett not get a chance
    Not just Taylor, but Davies as well. Dummett has played CB as well as LB; Davies is second choice LB at Spurs. I'd be fed up being mistreated by Coleman too.

First Team

Is international football even that important to the players anymore?
    I would suggest outside of using it as a measure of their value when it comes to contract negotiation time most players consider it a bit of an inconvenience.
    Interesting article recently by the 'secret footballer' who indicated that for many they looked at post season international matches as just eating into their holiday time.
    Comes to something when playing in a World Cup is of secondary to the tables of Las Vegas .
    Then again I guess it's a job to them whilst for many supporters it remains a passion.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He's only just got on par with Taylor as Taylor has slumped in the last season. But Taylor has a wealth of experience playing in this Welsh system hence why he was always ahead. If frustration is the motivating factor, then surely now would be the moment that Dummett would want to write that wrong given Taylor is suspended for the next games. Instead Dummett has opted to drop out at a time when Wales need him the most.

This has been coming for a long time, Dummett is one of those players who have used Wales for promoting their club profile and themselves as an asset. He consistently didn't turn up for u21 internationals either. Dummett probably doesn't fancy Wales's chances of qualifying so he probably thinking the next tournament Wales could qualify for would be in three years time. He'll be 28 at the start of that season, so his club career and earnings will be settled by then.

If Coleman has made any mistakes, then it's probably in accommodating non committal players like this too much. Not by calling them up all the time to whisper sweet nothings and beg them to play for Wales. But in truth, there's no blame to be laid at Cookie's door at all. Look at how brilliantly he turned around the Collins situation. And Collins has been a super servant since, even though he's only had a bit part to play. You can't 100% know players like Dummett leave you in the lurch until they do. In Dummett's case, at the most crucial time possible.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 27-05-17 at 13:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Is international football even that important to the players anymore?
    I would suggest outside of using it as a measure of their value when it comes to contract negotiation time most players consider it a bit of an inconvenience.
    Interesting article recently by the 'secret footballer' who indicated that for many they looked at post season international matches as just eating into their holiday time.
    Comes to something when playing in a World Cup is of secondary to the tables of Las Vegas .
    Then again I guess it's a job to them whilst for many supporters it remains a passion.
    I guess it depends on the player, although for the smaller countries like ourselves and Ireland etc the players seem more passionate than for example England, who seem to be going though the motions whenever they play

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    He's only just got on par with Taylor as Taylor has slumped in the last season. But Taylor has a wealth of experience playing in this Welsh system hence why he was always ahead. If frustration is the motivating factor, then surely now would be the moment that Dummett would want to write that wrong given Taylor is suspended for the next games. Instead Dummett has opted to drop out at a time when Wales need him the most.

This has been coming for a long time, Dummett is one of those players who have used Wales for promoting their club profile and themselves as an asset. He consistently didn't turn up for u21 internationals either. Dummett probably doesn't fancy Wales's chances of qualifying so he probably thinking the next tournament Wales could qualify for would be in three years time. He'll be 28 at the start of that season, so his club career and earnings will be settled by then.

If Coleman has made any mistakes, then it's probably in accommodating non committal players like this too much. Not by calling them up all the time to whisper sweet nothings and beg them to play for Wales. But in truth, there's no blame to be laid at Cookie's door at all. Look at how brilliantly he turned around the Collins situation. And Collins has been a super servant since, even though he's only had a bit part to play. You can't 100% know players like Dummett leave you in the lurch until they do. In Dummett's case, at the most crucial time possible.
    Definitely, he's screwed us and himself over here

Even if he came back after Coleman left and won 50+ he probably will never be properly accepted by the players or fans again

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Not just Taylor, but Davies as well. Dummett has played CB as well as LB; Davies is second choice LB at Spurs. I'd be fed up being mistreated by Coleman too.
    What utter nonsense.

Davies has started 29 matches for Spurs this season.

Mistreated my arse.