+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you change your brexit vote?

Re: Would you change your brexit vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Again, this is something I did not understand whatsoever. Most of these poorer areas have been traditionally Labour voters and, maybe more so, anti-Tory, yet they were happy to give more power to a party these areas have traditionally detested and blamed for their circumstances. I couldn't work out the logic in that at the time and, the more I've thought about it, the less it makes sense. I saw people that hate Thatcher, Cameron etc with a vengeance suddenly proclaiming the likes of Boris and Theresa May as heroes. To coin a phrase, there's nowt as strange as folk.
    And twathead Farage. A man of the people who stands with other dickhead millionaires in gold elevators proving that he is indeed the hero of the working class.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    you never heard of MEP's ??

google it

you might find they set the EU rules / regulations and laws

do we in the UK vote them all in ? ?
    You vote for an MP to represent your area in Parliament. You don't get to pick any of the other 649 MPs (no apostrophe). How would you have had us select MEPs? Should we have a say in who represents South East Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Again, this is something I did not understand whatsoever. Most of these poorer areas have been traditionally Labour voters and, maybe more so, anti-Tory, yet they were happy to give more power to a party these areas have traditionally detested and blamed for their circumstances. I couldn't work out the logic in that at the time and, the more I've thought about it, the less it makes sense. I saw people that hate Thatcher, Cameron etc with a vengeance suddenly proclaiming the likes of Boris and Theresa May as heroes. To coin a phrase, there's nowt as strange as folk.
    Again, you are trying to align everything with a political party, forget red, blue, orange, green etc. etc. forget about Thatcher, Blair, the have nots are just not interested in this rubbish, all the parties have shit on the poor, IMO they (the people) have just said bollox to the lot of you with the out vote. The outvote forces a massive upheaval of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    You vote for an MP to represent your area in Parliament. You don't get to pick any of the other 649 MPs (no apostrophe). How would you have had us select MEPs? Should we have a say in who represents South East Spain?
    I guess you are avoiding that If the government does a crap job, lets say raises tax's a massive amount, the Uk would vote them out at the next GE

we do not have that option with MEPs from other countries

I guess you are avoiding that If the government does a crap job, lets say raises tax's a massive amount, the Uk would vote them out at the next GE

How is that materially any different to our electoral system?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Again, you are trying to align everything with a political party, forget red, blue, orange, green etc. etc. forget about Thatcher, Blair, the have nots are just not interested in this rubbish, all the parties have shit on the poor, IMO they (the people) have just said bollox to the lot of you with the out vote. The outvote forces a massive upheaval of the system.
    The out vote meant that the have nots are subject to ( if it's possible )) even more odious types in the likes of Boris and Theresa u-turn who's basically enacted UKIP policy.

I can't see much more funding for these areas that voted out can you ? Upheaval means more misery for them in my opinion, can't see this govt visiting Blaenau Gwent soon with any good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    In what way and to suit who?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    How is that materially any different to our electoral system?
    We have no say on the MEPs from other countries

I have no say on the MPs elected by the other 649 parliamentary seats.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    The out vote meant that the have nots are subject to ( if it's possible )) even more odious types in the likes of Boris and Theresa u-turn who's basically enacted UKIP policy.

I can't see much more funding for these areas that voted out can you ? Upheaval means more misery for them in my opinion, can't see this govt visiting Blaenau Gwent soon with any good news.
    It doesn't really matter what you or I think!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    In the EU - it's the commission and the unelected commissioners that seems to have the powers - not the MEPs. They dont get to set EU law - they just get to vote on it. MEPs are basically puppets of the commission.

Luckily in Parliament - there is no such commission type arrangement. Parties in the EU parliament tend to just sit together depending on their various political viewpoints. Not exactly a great way to do things in my opinion.
    We were talking about the differences or similarities between MEP's and MP's, you are moving the goalposts. Go on then, how are commissioners selected?

Strong case for an Indy Wales being made here

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Go look it up yourself, I'm not your lacky.

ps What are your thoughts on Julian King ?
    Instant dislike even though I have no idea who he is, my mate is called Julian and he is a tightfisted bastard who never buys a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I have no say on the MPs elected by the other 649 parliamentary seats.
    But the UK does

By the end of the referendum I left a little drained by it all, but voted remain. One of the biggest strengths of a leave vote was the option of being more easily able to negotiate with the wider world but presumably that means the US first and their president is potentially on the road to being impeached.

I still think it was the wrong referendum (taking back control for who? Our political system needs reform as well as the EU and could have been done beforehand) at the wrong time (Trump, Le Pen, Merkel going - all possibilities but we made a decision before knowing) and that feeling hasn't changed.

I can vote my MP out at the next GE. I can't vote out the MP for Chelsea or Amber Valley. Likewise, the people of Glasgow Central are unable to vote out my MP.

I can vote my MEP out at the next election, I can't vote out the MEP for East Anglia, nor the MEP for Paris Central. Likewise, the people of Hamburg (for example), or Glasgow (for example) are unable to vote out my MEP and vote in a German instead.

So, I'm struggling to find out why we were unable to vote for our own MPs during our time in the EU.

I'm told leavers were better informed than me as a remainer, and this issue partially led to you voting to leave - so please educate me. I honestly don't get what you are saying.

But the UK does
    You don't though. You get to vote for a single MP. You may be a Tory voter in a safe Labout seat, and so your vote is futile.

In European elections, there is at least an element of proportional representation. In reality, your vote was probably higher weighted in the European elections than it is in U.K. elections! Unless you live in one of the few marginals, the U.K. is as democratic as many single party states.

does that include all the other regulations ? ? ? and agreements ? ? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    EU regulation is a law, so yes. I don't know what you mean by agreement. A trade agreement?
    Matthew?

The EU has been a very convenient scapegoat for many years, certainly throughout my adult life. There's lots wrong with it, it's too full of civil servants (for want of a better phrase) and wastes money for a start, but ask people what EU regulation they're looking forward to living without and there's never an answer.

The truth is that the things that really affect our day-to-day lives, particularly how our money is spent, is mainly down to the government of the day. Whoever that will be is going to have to step up to the plate because there'll be no one else to point the finger at soon.

I can vote my MP out at the next GE. I can't vote out the MP for Chelsea or Amber Valley. Likewise, the people of Glasgow Central are unable to vote out my MP.

I can vote my MEP out at the next election, I can't vote out the MEP for East Anglia, nor the MEP for Paris Central. Likewise, the people of Hamburg (for example), or Glasgow (for example) are unable to vote out my MEP and vote in a German instead.

So, I'm struggling to find out why we were unable to vote for our own MPs during our time in the EU.

I'm told leavers were better informed than me as a remainer, and this issue partially led to you voting to leave - so please educate me. I honestly don't get what you are saying.
    You don't though. You get to vote for a single MP. You may be a Tory voter in a safe Labout seat, and so your vote is futile.

In European elections, there is at least an element of proportional representation. In reality, your vote was probably higher weighted in the European elections than it is in U.K. elections! Unless you live in one of the few marginals, the U.K. is as democratic as many single party states.
    the point being, the someone in the UK does, If the government implement a massively unpopular law / tax rise etc etc the UK ( or people of the UK ) can vote them out at the next GE, yes i understand that you yourself cannot vote out the MP for Chelsea or Amber Valley, but they can

you ( or anyone else in the UK ) cannot vote out the MEP for Germany / France etc etc

Matthew?
    when i say Law and Regulations,

I work with the WAHR and TWAHD, while its a regulation, a police officer is hardly going to come and arrest me for not filling out a Risk assessment and complying with the Regulation

not to mention freedom of movement of labour,child benefits for migrant workers and of course the fishermans woes

ref agreements, we make agreements with the EU over various things, didnt they tell us the motor on hoovers had to be more energy efficient, Fridge / freezers / kettles / hairdryers ( the list goes on ) had to be more efficient

when i say Law and Regulations,

I work with the WAHR and TWAHD, while its a regulation, a police officer is hardly going to come and arrest me for not filling out a Risk assessment and complying with the Regulation

not to mention freedom of movement of labour,child benefits for migrant workers and of course the fishermans woes

ref agreements, we make agreements with the EU over various things, didnt they tell us the motor on hoovers had to be more energy efficient, Fridge / freezers / kettles / hairdryers ( the list goes on ) had to be more efficient
    I've googled WAHR and TWAHD but I still have no idea what they are. When you say they are a regulation, are they EU regulations?

Why is it a bad thing for hoover motors, or anything else, to be more energy efficient? Nobody was going to confiscate your old stuff, and the new ones will work just as well - if not better because of advances in technology. Making appliances more energy efficient will save us all money. You've named one of the better things the EU has insisted on.

Throughout our thorough reviews process, we consistently find that a vacuum's power rating has little impact on suction. Instead, a combination of factors, including motor and cylinder design, whether the bag or bin is full, whether the filters are regularly cleaned and the shape of the vacuum head can all affect how good a vacuum cleaner is at its job. The 1,400w AEG Ultracaptic Animal has the most powerful suction of all the vacuums we've tested to date, outperforming 2,200w machines.

A wattage rating isn't always an indicator of what's being drawn from the plug socket, either; we've seen 2,200W rated vacuums draw less than 1,100w, and 1,000w cleaners exceed their rating by up to 200w. Power draw will depend on the power setting and suction mode of a cleaner, if it has them, as well as motor wattage.
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...right/page/0/2

You don't have a say on the MP from the next county!

I've googled WAHR and TWAHD but I still have no idea what they are. When you say they are a regulation, are they EU regulations?

Why is it a bad thing for hoover motors, or anything else, to be more energy efficient? Nobody was going to confiscate your old stuff, and the new ones will work just as well - if not better because of advances in technology. Making appliances more energy efficient will save us all money. You've named one of the better things the EU has insisted on.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...right/page/0/2
    The hoover / fright etc were examples of a agreement

WAHR and TWAHD

appolgises, i often use the acronym, as i use it in work and the people i use it with of course know what it means

The Work at Height Regulations 2005
    The Temporary Work at Height Directive

both part of the European Council Directive 2001/45/EC

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You don't have a say on the MP from the next county!
    but a UK citizen does , this is my point