• UKIP

2 2.70%
  • Other

3 4.05%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Election day is imminent

Re: Election day is imminent

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    People are attacking labour policies it is just as you say, that there are a lot of vote winners in there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...and-value-tax/
    What about the other points I made, you can't get away with that?

Point me to some great Tory policies, apart from the ones so unpalatable that they were removed before the manifesto's ink had dried.

The only ones that say the Tories can be trusted and Labour can't, are the Tories. For some reason, this is taken as fact, with absolutely no basis.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10309178.html

This chart here is interesting, as basically, they've both been as bad as each other, with the caveat that Labour had the 2008 crisis, while the Tories decided to bail out their mates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Point me to some great Tory policies, apart from the ones so unpalatable that they were removed before the manifesto's ink had dried.

The only ones that say the Tories can be trusted and Labour can't, are the Tories. For some reason, this is taken as fact, with absolutely no basis.

This chart here is interesting, as basically, they've both been as bad as each other, with the caveat that Labour had the 2008 crisis, while the Tories decided to bail out their mates.
    It is difficult to measure how much of the rise of food banks is directly linked to tory policy. You accept that part of the rise is due to coverage, easier to set up. More people willing to help.

Food has never, ever been cheaper.

As of 2014, the UK the 3rd least poverty stricken country in the entire EU.

That doesn't hide the fact that is a rising issue, but Labour votes act as if it is entirely down to Tory policy. It is a cross party issue:

I opened the manifesto and scrolled to a random page:

Modern slavery

The UK is a global leader in fighting the evil trade in human beings – both around the
    world and in our own country – for sex and labour exploitation. As home secretary,
    Theresa May brought forward the Modern Slavery Act, the first of its kind in Europe,
    appointed the world’s first anti-slavery commissioner and set up the Modern Slavery
    Taskforce to bring together the heads of MI5, MI6 and the National Crime Agency to coordinate
    our response to criminal gangs operating across the world.

We now need to go further. We need to focus on the exploitation of vulnerable men,
    women and children for their labour, people who are moved around our own country
    and between nations, as if they were not human at all. We will review the application of
    exploitation in the Modern Slavery Act to strengthen our ability to stop criminals putting
    men, women and children into criminal, dangerous and exploitative working conditions.
    And the UK will use its power to push the United Nations and other international bodies
    to make Modern Slavery a thing of the past.

The gender pay gap
    We will take measures to close the gender pay gap. We will require companies with more
    than 250 employees to publish more data on the pay gap between men and women. We
    shall continue to work for parity in the number of public appointments going to women,
    and we shall push for an increase in the number of women sitting on boards of companies.
    We will take steps to improve take-up of shared parental leave and help companies
    provide more flexible work environments that help mothers and fathers to share
    parenting.

Fair markets for consumers

A Conservative government will strengthen the hand of regulators. We will strengthen the
    powers of consumer enforcement bodies to order fines against companies breaking consumer
    law and deliver redress for wronged parties. We will explore how to give consumers a voice in
    the regulation of business. We will put the interest of vulnerable consumers first, including
    considering a duty on regulators to weigh up their needs.

etc,etc,etc,etc.

Not that manifestos are filled with pledges they keep.

It isn't as many social media sound bites suggest. There is a lot of stuff in both parties manifestos that would be good.

The gender pay gap
    We will take measures to close the gender pay gap. We will require companies with more
    than 250 employees to publish more data on the pay gap between men and women. We
    shall continue to work for parity in the number of public appointments going to women,
    and we shall push for an increase in the number of women sitting on boards of companies.
    We will take steps to improve take-up of shared parental leave and help companies
    provide more flexible work environments that help mothers and fathers to share
    parenting.

Fair markets for consumers

A Conservative government will strengthen the hand of regulators. We will strengthen the
    powers of consumer enforcement bodies to order fines against companies breaking consumer
    law and deliver redress for wronged parties. We will explore how to give consumers a voice in
    the regulation of business. We will put the interest of vulnerable consumers first, including
    considering a duty on regulators to weigh up their needs.

etc,etc,etc,etc.

Not that manifestos are filled with pledges they keep.

It isn't as many social media sound bites suggest. There is a lot of stuff in both parties manifestos that would be good.
    Anything in there that guarantees the NHS will continue to be free at the point of use for everyone and it won't be privatised?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Anything in there that guarantees the NHS will continue to be free at the point of use for everyone and it won't be privatised?
    No idea I havent read all of it

Here you are

https://www.conservatives.com/manifesto

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    is there anything in there that says it won't be free at point of use? does the manifesto say the moon is made of cream cheese? Are you going to suggest that is the case in the absence of a statement to the contrary.

you are building a straw man when none exists.

I dont trust the tories and the Rhondda candidate lists her home address in Kensington and Chelsea ffs.

Corbyn may be a nice honest chap but he is no leader. Also don't have time for my local Labour candidate the sitting MP Chris Bryant

Plaid seems a wasted vote at a general election as does lib dem.

I have to vote so may have to spoil my paper with "none of the above"

I watched part of the Welsh leadership debate last night. For me, the most credible speakers were Leanne Wood and Carwyn.

At the end of the day though, with 60 million people to choose from, we're going to have either Corbyn or May as PM, and I wouldn't trust either of them to lead.

I like the way Leanne Wood conducts herself and puts the interests of Wales front and centre, but the issue there is that Plaid is unlikely to have any kind of influence in Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    is there anything in there that says it won't be free at point of use? does the manifesto say the moon is made of cream cheese? Are you going to suggest that is the case in the absence of a statement to the contrary.

you are building a straw man when none exists.
    With the Tories chronically under funding the NHS, and a health secretary who has written multiple books on his desire to privatise the NHS, I think it is a perfectly legitimate question.

Feedback

With the Tories chronically under funding the NHS, and a health secretary who has written multiple books on his desire to privatise the NHS, I think it is a perfectly legitimate question.
    can I ask why privatising the NHS is so bad if it remains free at point of use for all? Now i may be mistaken here, but the aim of the NHS must surely be to provide the best possible healthcare for the patient. if that means using all public, or all private, or any mix in between, then where is the problem?

https://twitter.com/Official_Corbyn/...77752282959872

Edit - it's fake nevermind.

But he is still doing the debate.

The Tories have run a shambolic campaign, but they will still get in easily. Perhaps not a landslide but they will increase their majority.
    Labour never addressed the Tory line that it was their spending that somehow caused the global recession, and this has let the Tories off the hook for a large part of their decimation of public services.

But most importantly the whole brexiteers negotiation angle seems to be their trump card. A negative view of corbyn cultivated for years with a compliant press makes it an easy point. And this is what will cause the Tory victory above all else.
    Despite the facts that May has done nothing to suggest that she will be even remotely competent in negotiations, and that corbyns favourability ratings have shot up since he's been getting some more positive airtime.

Perhaps one thing corbyn could do to undercut this would be to announce that if labour won then someone else would be doing the negotiations, if there was a person who would be fairly universally approved of. Not necessarily a politician either.
    Tony Blair would probably actually do a good job, but I guess he's still to toxic.
    Or a real leftfield candidate like sir Alan sugar or someone like that (but not him, the bearded git)

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    can I ask why privatising the NHS is so bad if it remains free at point of use for all? Now i may be mistaken here, but the aim of the NHS must surely be to provide the best possible healthcare for the patient. if that means using all public, or all private, or any mix in between, then where is the problem?
    The private companies will try to make money, which means their services will cost more money. It'll be run similarly to the rail network, which is a complete fiasco, overly expensive and a joke. If you could chose hospitals etc and there was genuine competition it could work but you can't, and not with health. Either the taxpayer would pay more, standards would slip or we'd have to start paying. Privatising necessary public services is not a good idea as they have shareholders who demand to make money so running at a deficit etc is not an option, and they'll pull out if so. Look at Academy schools.

The private companies will try to make money, which means their services will cost more money. It'll be run similarly to the rail network, which is a complete fiasco, overly expensive and a joke. If you could chose hospitals etc and there was genuine competition it could work but you can't, and not with health. Either the taxpayer would pay more, standards would slip or we'd have to start paying. Privatising necessary public services is not a good idea as they have shareholders who demand to make money so running at a deficit etc is not an option, and they'll pull out if so. Look at Academy schools.
    Isn't that just the case already?.

The NHS purchasing health contracts from privatise firms that are looking to maximise profits.

They know the NHS have to buy them, so squeeze them for every penny?.

More money should be put into the NHS no doubt.

Scrap trident for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Came across this today.

����������

Isn't that just the case already?.

The NHS purchasing health contracts from privatise firms that are looking to maximise profits.

They know the NHS have to buy them, so squeeze them for every penny?.

More money should be put into the NHS no doubt.

Scrap trident for a start.
    Trust me when I say that the NHS is a lot better at paying less for supplies than most other healthcare providers.
    We sell stuff to the states for literally double the price sometimes.

I will be voting Labour.My vote will count for nothing as I am in a true blue seat. Con will win a majority. I just hope its as small as possible. May is as wooden as it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I will be voting Labour.My vote will count for nothing as I am in a true blue seat. Con will win a majority. I just hope its as small as possible. May is as wooden as it gets
    May is terrible, saying that Corbyn should focus on Brexit as opposed to the election, that she called. I mean, honestly! A victory for me would be a coalition gov or a small minority Tory gov. I think come 2022 we will have a majority Labour gov but God knows what we'll come back to!

Labour w@nkers. Same old, same old.

Corbyn gets a bump for turning up to the leaders debate.

Meanwhile the vacuous President May said she prefers to take questions from her hand-picked bunch of followers, as they are easier to answer.

Tori getting a lot of airtime this morning. I've heard Boris speak on 3 different platforms already. I can't get away from the fool.

BTW if you want the Conservatives out, this handy little website will show you how to do it https://www.tactical2017.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    BTW if you want the Conservatives out, this handy little website will show you how to do it https://www.tactical2017.com
    Essentially, just vote Labour...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Essentially, just vote Labour...
    Unless there is a Plaid, Lib Dem, Green etc MP that is more likely to win. Take Cheadle, there is no way a Labour candidate will get in, but currently Lib Dem have just about held it since 1992. In most circumstances, in England especially, it is vote Labour.