+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First two signings announced

First two signings announced

Re: First two signings

Cardiff City FC has agreed to sign goalkeeper Neil Etheridge and winger Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, subject to completion of paperwork and international clearance.

Both Etheridge and Mendez-Laing will officially join up with the Bluebirds from 1st July 2017, following the expiration of their respective contracts at Walsall and Rochdale.

Etheridge, who has made over fifty international appearances for the Philippines, began his career with the Chelsea academy, before going on to play for the likes of Fulham, Bristol Rovers, Oldham Athletic and Charlton Athletic.

“We haven’t had a big goalkeeper, and this lad is 6”2,” Neil Warnock said. “He’s always come out on top when we’re talking about goalkeepers and we’re delighted that he’s agreed to sign from 1st July.

“He’s looking forward to the challenge ahead and trying to establish himself as the number one ‘keeper. He’s at a very good age and will be a very good addition to the squad.”

After starting out his career with Wolverhampton Wanderers, Mendez-Laing enjoyed loan spells at Peterborough United and Sheffield United, before later joining the Posh on a permanent basis. He has since made over seventy appearances for League One side, Rochdale.

“I’ve watched him this season in particular and you get hunches about players, as a manager,” added Warnock. “I just feel that he can contribute a lot to us next season.

“I think he’ll be a very good squad player and it’s up to him to get into the first-team and make the position his own. He’s only a young lad still, but he’s got explosive pace and a lot to prove and I think it’s the right place for him. I think the fans will enjoy watching him.”

Warnock concluded: "We've been working hard since the season ended and we're hoping to continue with further exciting announcements in the coming months."

Re: First two signings announced

The crowds will be filling in no time

That's the way to do business, not a snippet of info anywhere about this.

Well done "OUR NEIL"

Bet you someone, somewhere is Ffffffffing fuming.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Well done "OUR NEIL"

They've both been linked to us over the last few months haven't they?

Sound like decent signings, especially Mendez-Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    You mean plastics won't be turning up as we've not got in a big name in the end days of their career to take big money out of the club?

Think most can live with that.

Good luck to them both, Welcome Bluebirds

Saw a lot of Mendez-Laing on Ch 5's Goal Rush last season and he looked excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Well done "OUR NEIL"

We've been strongly linked with Etheridge since the end of the season. .

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Saw a lot of Mendez-Laing on Ch 5's Goal Rush last season and he looked excellent.
    If Colin can get these two in form and playing well he'll be hailed a genius. Looking forward to seeing who's next and seeing these guys play.

He does what he wants.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    They've both been linked to us over the last few months haven't they?

Sound like decent signings, especially Mendez-Laing
    Mendez-Laing has the air of a wild card signing. Hopefully one of those stonking lower league late bloomers that has other clubs wishing they'd taken a gamble on him.

You simply can't please some victor Moses and James Vardy were no bodies at some point , look at our own in Zohore ,shows with the right management team you can create talent ,and look at Huddersfield no real big signing ,I'd trust Warnock with my money and choices well before OGS, and MM.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You simply can't please some victor Moses and James Vardy were no bodies at some point , look at our own in Zohore ,shows with the right management team you can create talent ,and look at Huddersfield no real big signing ,I'd trust Warnock with my money and choices well before OGS, and MM.
    agree , had a quick look on Rochdale forum said hes very quick and good signing for us they also mentioned the other sighning said he's also a good signing for us , I don't know much about them tbh but will give them a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Mendez-Laing has the air of a wild card signing. Hopefully one of those stonking lower league late bloomers that has other clubs wishing they'd taken a gamble on him.
    Totally agree. A past attitude problem appears to have held him back but he appears to have sorted himself out which has translated into impressive on pitch displays. The ability seems to be there so hopefully he will turn out to be a good signing for what I would assume to be a relatively small outlay in terms of wages.

These are the type of signings i like to see at the club. Not too much of a gamble with relatively low wages and both players should be hungry to prove themselves.

Is it still a £1 a letter on the replica shirts? Kerching!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is it still a £1 a letter on the replica shirts? Kerching!!!!
    That's what I thought. He's no Théophile-Catherine though

A few reasons why we should stay away from names and absurd wages

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
    Rickie Lambert
    Adam James le Fondre
    Sammy Ameobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    He does what he wants.

Seen Noone score a few like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    A La, a certain Jamie Vardy

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Brilliant business......????????

After watching the championship play off finals, I don't think even non-league is a massive step up these days.

Mendez to Cardiff

Fair play to the lad and fair play to Rochdale for giving him the platform.

Good luck Mendez, one of the most exciting players we have had in a very long time

Mendez to Cardiff on 17:33

Good luck NML. He's easily capable of tearing The Championship apart if he wants to. His displays over the last couple of months were the best I've ever seen from a Dale winger, and every time he got the ball I got excited.

The fact he did a Craig Dawson at the end of his final game shows how highly he valued his time here and the support of the fans.

Mendez to Cardiff on 17:36 - May 30 with 618 views Shun

Cardiff have also signed Walsall's keeper, Etheridge. Another really good signing.

Mendez to Cardiff on 17:54 - May 30 with 502 views JimmyRustler

Rescued from the doldrums, had a good few months towards the end of the season and then thinks that staying at the club and repaying the faith is beneath him. Poor in my opinion but that's football and life.

Mendez to Cardiff on 18:12 - May 30 with 366 views DaleiLama

Mendez to Cardiff on 17:54 - May 30 by JimmyRustler

Rescued from the doldrums, had a good few months towards the end of the season and then thinks that staying at the club and repaying the faith is beneath him. Poor in my opinion but that's football and life.

........ or ....... limited window to earn money and may not have a lot of earning power post-football, so wants to make the most of his potential to generate as much income as he can before age catches up with him.

I loved watching NML. Not many players at our level who can set the pulse racing when the ball comes to their feet. Wish him all the very best at his new club. Hope to see more highlight reel stuff in his future

Mendez to Cardiff on 18:34 - May 30 with 207 views frenzied

Deserves his chance..thanks for all the great memories

Generally good things from Walsall fans about Etheridge as well - playing Devil's Advocate though, I wonder what the reaction on here would have been like if Russell Slade had made these two signings?