+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First two signings announced

Re: First two signings announced

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Generally good things from Walsall fans about Etheridge as well - playing Devil's Advocate though, I wonder what the reaction on here would have been like if Russell Slade had made these two signings?
    On the contrary Bob, i was hoping Slade would make these type of signings rather than people like Ameobi. I thought that was what he was gonna offer.

I also love the fact that Warnock said Laing will be a squad player and it's up to him to earn his place and keep it.

The kid must be hungry.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I also love the fact that Warnock said Laing will be a squad player and it's up to him to earn his place and keep it.
    Occurred to me, the great thing about having players signed in time for the start of pre-season, is NW and the coaches will have loads of time to determine if he's likely to be a starter or not. Hopefully it makes it easier for them in regard to other signings and balancing the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Occurred to me, the great thing about having players signed in time for the start of pre-season, is NW and the coaches will have loads of time to determine if he's likely to be a starter or not. Hopefully it makes it easier for them in regard to other signings and balancing the squad.
    I think he'll add more in that position anyway and he'll look for competition for places.
    Stop people getting complacent. Laing could have thought "**** that, I'll go somewhere where they massage my ego."

Blue in the Face

I think he'll add more in that position anyway and he'll look for competition for places.
    Stop people getting complacent. Laing could have thought "**** that, I'll go somewhere where they massage my ego."
    You would hope so. Think we might have to offload first, though perhaps moves out have been lined up. I can see us letting one or two of ours go for free again.

I hope Pilkington and Noone are the first two out. They can be ok on their day but they both need a fresh start

Just read that Rotherham are looking for a striker to replace Danny Ward who is expected to sign for us.

Laing sounds like he could be worth the punt, Warnock did say he was looking for more options from the bench and hopefully he will give us this. With regards Etheridge I do wonder if he's any better than Simon Moore who went up in the league's top side!

On the contrary Bob, i was hoping Slade would make these type of signings rather than people like Ameobi. I thought that was what he was gonna offer.

The kid must be hungry.
    He was often accused of being very "hungry" at Peterborough, so hungry in fact that he needed a larger pair of shorts.

Looks like Mendez Laing had an impressive last few months to the season.
    Picked up 12 assists so he could be teeing them up for Zohore next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He was often accused of being very "hungry" at Peterborough, so hungry in fact that he needed a larger pair of shorts.

One thing i would say is that Peterborough have a good reputation for spotting raw talent though. Hopefully he is ready to push on now.

Speaking of Peterborough I'd like to see us make a cheeky bid for Chris Forrester. He's quality.

Generally good things from Walsall fans about Etheridge as well - playing Devil's Advocate though, I wonder what the reaction on here would have been like if Russell Slade had made these two signings?
    Fair point re slade but Warnock has earned the respect to try.

I've never seen such horrific football at Cardiff as I did with Slade and it happened from the very first day.

One thing i would say is that Peterborough have a good reputation for spotting raw talent though. Hopefully he is ready to push on now.

Speaking of Peterborough I'd like to see us make a cheeky bid for Chris Forrester. He's quality.
    Forrester is a leader as well. Looks like NML has pulled his finger out finally, which bodes well for us. I think we can see a few more signings like this in the summer, cheap and low risk. If it comes off, great, if not, no real harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Just read that Rotherham are looking for a striker to replace Danny Ward who is expected to sign for us.
    Makes sense, played for NW last season. Bagged 11 goals in a terrible team last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Let's hope he works out better than the last few Strikers we've signed from Rotherham

Good to see us making early moves.
    Gives players and manager time to get things right before August .

For too long we've left it to the last moment.

Good news but obviously not eye catching, although everyones fingers will be crossed that they turn out to be gems.

Mendez Laing looks very thick set, like a meatier Kadeem Harris. Etheridge could be another benchwarmer for a few seasons, I'd guess/hope he's not Warnock's idea of no.1 but who knows - maybe he is good enough to be out and out no.1 in the championship

Eoin Doyle springs to mind - similar age to Mendez-Laing and had been tearing up League 1 before he joined us.

If memory serves there was a mixed reaction of hope and disappointment when Doyle signed. Hope that he could make the step up, but disappointment there wasn't a bigger name signing, given our position and appetite following relegation.

As it was, Doyle might well have been a decent striker, but at the time, we were about as creative as concrete and we went through many strikers, all who failed for us because our midfield was never sorted out, neither did we have any pace or width.

Warnock saw this as a priority and it would be interesting to see how a confident Doyle of the time would have done for the current, more creative Cardiff City.

There's also the aspect of us having lowered our expectations. We know we're not going to be spending big money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Good to see us making early moves.
    Gives players and manager time to get things right before August .

For too long we've left it to the last moment.
    This, definitely!

Revell and Doyle cost us the best part of a million from memory and had played all their football in the lower leagues prior to joining the City. Both failed and Revell was the poorest quality Championship player to have played for the City. The new guys are Bosmans and started off their careers at a higher level. Laing has played in the Championship before and both seem to have potential and are at the age they may improve. Rather go this route than paying a fortune for the likes of Lambert. In Warnock we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Eoin Doyle springs to mind - similar age to Mendez-Laing and had been tearing up League 1 before he joined us.

If memory serves there was a mixed reaction of hope and disappointment when Doyle signed. Hope that he could make the step up, but disappointment there wasn't a bigger name signing, given our position and appetite following relegation.

As it was, Doyle might well have been a decent striker, but at the time, we were about as creative as concrete and we went through many strikers, all who failed for us because our midfield was never sorted out, neither did we have any pace or width.

Warnock saw this as a priority and it would be interesting to see how a confident Doyle of the time would have done for the current, more creative Cardiff City.

There's also the aspect of us having lowered our expectations. We know we're not going to be spending big money.
    A chesterfield fan I know thought we'd bought a dud at the time - said he wasn't much good even at that level, just had had one of those freak seasons where everything had gone in. they were happy to take the money.

One of my biggest Slade criticisms is that he spent a life-time in the lower leagues and the only player he brought up from there was Eoin Doyle who was so far ahead in the top scorers chart that he remained there several weeks/months after leaving the division - i.e. any man and his dog could have spotted him.

I don't know much about these players but Warnock has been somewhat clever in announcing that they are squad players with the task of fighting their way into the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Let's hope he works out better than the last few Strikers we've signed from Rotherham
    Danny Ward is a complete warnock type player doesn't stop working closing down space and is a bundle of energy.

Rotherham wanted £4m when clubs including no doubt Cardiff came enquiring in January. They'll get nowhere near that.

He was a major part of what Warnock did at Rotherham in keeping them up

I have no doubt he is Warnock's number 1 transfer target - hence the quick transfer of Ajayi in an act of co-operation with Rotherham

http://itsmillerstime.co.uk/a-tale-o...otherham-exit/

If we can afford it this will suit all parties unless somebody comes in with a silly offer anywhere near what they want. However if they insist on silly money it could no doubt drag on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I thought Doyle did pretty well at the back end of 2014/15 for us and was surprised when Slade allowed him to go out on loan a few months later, but, given how he fared at Preston and where he is now, our former manager was right to do what he did - his decision to sign Doyle in the first place doesn't look a great one though.

I'm happy with the signing of Etheridge and Mendez-Laing, but I can't help thinking I would not be as willing to say that if Slade had signed them given the way I felt about him by the time he was relieved of managerial duties.

I thought Doyle did pretty well at the back end of 2014/15 for us and was surprised when Slade allowed him to go out on loan a few months later, but, given how he fared at Preston and where he is now, our former manager was right to do what he did - his decision to sign Doyle in the first place doesn't look a great one though.

I'm happy with the signing of Etheridge and Mendez-Laing, but I can't help thinking I would not be as willing to say that if Slade had signed them given the way I felt about him by the time he was relieved of managerial duties.
    Slade was never going to be popular ,considering his job objectives. And the talent pool he was fishing in was the same but of lesser quality , when Warnock comes a knocking the better talent of the lower leagues are bound to sit up and respond , more than anormal approach of a lesser known manager .

I also think this will give Harris and his dad something to think about as they stall on contract talks .

Yes Slade's football was turgid , but he kept us up, in fact nearly put us in touching distance of the play offs , with a major release of players going on and nothing really replacing them ,added into that mix a convenient transfer embargo, greatly restricting him .

Fast forward 6 months and they'll probably be being used to slander warnock as we'll want him gone.