+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Somebody told me today

Somebody told me today

That the City were the 1st team in the top 4 English leagues to substitute a goalkeeper during a game without injury being the reason. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Re: Somebody told me today

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That the City were the 1st team in the top 4 English leagues to substitute a goalkeeper during a game without injury being the reason. Can anyone shed any light on this?
    I'm guessing it was when Roger Hansbury played forty five minutes of the last match of the season against Maidstone in 1991 to preserve his 100% appearance record and then Gavin Ward came on at half time to make his home league debut.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm guessing it was when Roger Hansbury played forty five minutes of the last match of the season against Maidstone in 1991 to preserve his 100% appearance record and then Gavin Ward came on at half time to make his home league debut.
    👍

Hansbury is a team member that has completely passed me by. I still don't remember him although Gavin Ward was one of our better goalkeepers.

Interesting stat if it's true. I remember the incident against Maidstone that TOBW mentioned (although I thought Ward came on a lot earlier than half time, my memory's playing tricks on me). I assumed it must have happened before then but had forgotten that there were still only two subs in those days so it would've been unusual to have a keeper on the bench. It had only been one sub until the 87-88 season so it's quite possible that we were the first team to do it in the Football League.

It had already happened at International level. In the 1974 World Cup, Zaire subbed their keeper after 21 minutes when they were 3-0 down to Yugoslavia, they ended up losing 9-0. (Find someone old if you want to know about Zaire and Yugoslavia, and Maidstone come to that)

Didn't Peter Zois get substituted because he was well.... shite ?

This rings a very distant bell as being true.

Roger Hansbury took up a whole two pages or so in the old Guinness Footballs Whos-Who books.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Hansbury is a team member that has completely passed me by. I still don't remember him although Gavin Ward was one of our better goalkeepers.
    He was great away to Walsall when we were down to 10 men once - I never remember things or specifics but I remember that I think

4 keepers played that day - Maidstone had to sub theirs cos of injury. 0-0 in the end, IIRC

Not sure but could have been Parsons, when we played against midlesburough I think. Long time ago early seventies i think.
    Sorry to be so vague.He couldn't hold a candle without letting the ball slip through his hands.

Yes it was. Also, Maidstone were forced to change their keeper. So, both teams used two players in goals (Maidstone used an outfield player).