+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Declan John

Declan John

On his way. Pilkington as well?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40108932

Re: Declan John

All 3 would be a good buy for some teams but have stagnated here

Agreed time to move them on if we can. I'd like to see Declan have a good loan spell somewhere though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Agreed time to move them on if we can. I'd like to see Declan have a good loan spell somewhere though.
    He's had loan spells and didn't set the world alight. I'd be very surprised if John turned into a Championship level player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's had loan spells and didn't set the world alight. I'd be very surprised if John turned into a Championship level player.
    Madness really. He had such potential years ago. Still only 21 so maybe a change of scenery will help him. Good luck to the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Madness really. He had such potential years ago. Still only 21 so maybe a change of scenery will help him. Good luck to the lad.
    Did he though? He's only 21 so plenty of time to kick on but I don't see it. Barnsley and Chesterfield fans didn't rate him either.

Declan due to move to a club up North ive heard

These articles are a message to the players. Its a case of highlighting that they are not wanted here, so lower your wage demands.

The club have wanted rid of Pilkington and Noone for the past few transfer windows, not because they are bad players, its just that they are on too high a wage. I still think that we will struggle to find a club to take these players on.

As for John its clearly not working here for him, and its wrong for the player to keep him when he isnt getting football, at his age he needs to be playing regular football now, another year in the development squad will do him no good, and then suddenly he his behind players in his own development range.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    These articles are a message to the players. Its a case of highlighting that they are not wanted here, so lower your wage demands.

The club have wanted rid of Pilkington and Noone for the past few transfer windows, not because they are bad players, its just that they are on too high a wage. I still think that we will struggle to find a club to take these players on.

As for John its clearly not working here for him, and its wrong for the player to keep him when he isnt getting football, at his age he needs to be playing regular football now, another year in the development squad will do him no good, and then suddenly he his behind players in his own development range.
    They wanted rid of Pilks so badly they gave him a new contract last autumn?

OK, fair enough. However since Warnock has been here it has been clear that he doesnt want Pilks here.

Noone was always moved out of the team near transfer windows in preparation for a bid coming in, it never came. I cant see a top side in this league coming in for either player. So i would suggest a move would involve a substantial pay cut for either. This could be offset by there being no fee coming in.

If we had not renewed his contract he would have been able to walk away for nothing at the end of this month. On that basis it could turn out to be a shrewd move if we receive a decent transfer fee for him

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    If we had not renewed his contract he would have been able to walk away for nothing at the end of this month. On that basis it could turn out to be a shrewd move if we receive a decent transfer fee for him
    Can't see there being a decent transfer fee. Other clubs know we want rid, he is carrying a high wage, that other clubs will not want to take on.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Always liked Declan John, never given much of a chance here though.

He needs regular first team football in a championship club, same goes for Pilks.
    I also like Declan John although if he wants regular football then he may need to drop down a division to get it. I hope that we insert a sell on clause as I feel that he has the ability to have a good career

For me Declan John sums up all that is wrong about the game today.

Always tweeting about his cars, watches, clothes, holidays.etc when he should be knuckling down and trying to make his way in the game.

Hes a nice kid but hes fallen into this culture of young footballers who have got their priorities all wrong. They are being paid thousands a week yet they havent done anything in the game. Should never have been given a 5 year deal in the first place.

At 3ft 6inches, he is not up to Neil's stature

Personally, I think NW has decided he didn't want Pilks later in the season, he's still played 36 games this season and scored 8 goals. NW obviously wants more pace into the side and on that basis, he doesn't really fit in. He was our best attacking player (probably) last season so I think the contract was recognition of that.

Did he though? He's only 21 so plenty of time to kick on but I don't see it. Barnsley and Chesterfield fans didn't rate him either.
    Well he played 20 premier league games at the age of what 17 or 18. I think that shows he had potential years ago.

Blue in the Face

I also like Declan John although if he wants regular football then he may need to drop down a division to get it. I hope that we insert a sell on clause as I feel that he has the ability to have a good career
    I tend to agree. Though I think he needs to find the right club to make sure he can launch himself. The ideal would be a league one club who play wingbacks and with a manager who is likely to stay a while (for the sake of the playing system). I don't think he's going to be a winger as folks tend to argue, but 50+ games at LWB and he may be able to get a better grasp of marking and defensive positioning, which is what I think he needs for his game to push on. He also just needs the confidence that comes from playing regularly.

He was the best of a decent DVP generation, who perhaps as a group weren't given fair opportunities at the right times. Hopefully being in the Wales training camp is a good advert for him to find a competition of suitors. If that happens he needs to be very smart about what club he picks. Bigger isn't likely to be better for him.

Good luck Declan. It will be great to see you find success in the future!!

Well he played 20 premier league games at the age of what 17 or 18. I think that shows he had potential years ago.
    He played for one of the worst Premier League sides in recent memory, ahead of Andrew Taylor. He's defensively suspect and he's never learnt that side of the game and almost every manager has dug him out about his attitude. His positional play is almost non existent which is major concern. I remember at Birmingham away he just wandered off, the look on Connolly's face was priceless.

He played for one of the worst Premier League sides in recent memory, ahead of Andrew Taylor. He's defensively suspect and he's never learnt that side of the game and almost every manager has dug him out about his attitude. His positional play is almost non existent which is major concern. I remember at Birmingham away he just wandered off, the look on Connolly's face was priceless.
    Keep your hat on, not defending him just mentioned it was a shame as he seemed to have potential YEARS ago. This place is like a ****ing minefield!

Keep your hat on, not defending him just mentioned it was a shame as he seemed to have potential YEARS ago. This place is like a ****ing minefield!
    I'm not having a pop at you, I'm just trying to say why I don't rate him and why he's not lived up to his potential. He probably had a fair bit but he's still the same player he was 4 years ago.