+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The most overrated footballers of all time

Re: The most overrated footballers of all time

on the wing, attacking central midfield, more or less the same.

Zidane played as number 10 quite often didnt he?.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    In fairness, putting up a list of people who rated him is not really an argument against him being overrated. I guess you have to rated to potentially be overrated in some people's view.

Arguing over whether a player was one of the best, or just a great player doesn't really work very well either. Players who divide opinion like Ramsey are probably better examples.
    Here is the rest of the list

“Just a genius. So fast, so strong, got the ball on a string about that long (a foot) from his foot, the ball’s at the end and it never goes further than that, really, it’s always under control, always in his radius.” — Michael Owen

“Just exceptional. I would look back at my career and say (he was) the most talented football player (I played with). Whether he was as effective, whether he had as much influence … he won a World Cup and had some influence in that final. He was just born to play football. When you’re a kid, and you’ve got a ball at the end of a rope, and it never leaves you, he was like that with his touch. When he ran, the ball ran in his stride, he was so classy. (He had) power, he was quick off the mark, so strong, his feet were brilliant. He was so gifted, such a natural football player.” — Michael Owen

“He was beautiful to watch, poetry in motion, so elegant as a footballer, like a ballerina on a football pitch.” — Rio Ferdinand

“I admire him a lot. When I was younger, I was watching his videos, the way he was playing. I love big players, but there are some players who have something extra. On the pitch you have 11 players, in the squad, 22, and you see only one or two. You always see him doing something special, the way he’s playing, it’s beautiful to see. [ . . . ] I was always watching him. The ball was in one place but I was always looking for Zidane.” — Paul Pogba

“He looks like when he plays, he is on his sofa, he’s so relaxed. The technique is amazing, and I’ll always remember the goal he scored in the Champions League (vs Bayer Leverkusen), just amazing.” — Patrice Evra

That goal really is difficult to forget.
    “Zidane, technically, was really the best.” — Carlo Ancelotti

“He would produce one or two pieces of skill that would just make everybody kind of go ” — Sid Lowe

“Zidane was football’s answer to the Bolshoi ballet. I think that’s absolutely true. Zidane was elegance above all else.” — Sid Lowe

“Elegance above all else.”
    “At 18, he wasn’t the great Zidane, no. He was already gifted technically, but not strong physically. But technically, he was superb. He had sublime skill, a superb touch, and all the moves.” — Luis Fernandez (translated from French)

“I was really, really convinced that he was going to get where he did. It wasn’t possible for me to think any other way. He had everything: technique, mental strength, he was level-headed, and possessed the ability to question things in order to improve.” — Francois Grenet (translated from French)

“Once or twice in your career, you need that meeting of talent with delivery. That makes, then, the recognition that yes, this guy is exceptional. That is then the marriage of art with mental strength, and Zidane delivered in ’98 in the final.” — Arsene Wenger

“Zidane has an exceptional coordination, an exceptional touch of the ball. Every area three yards around Zidane, you could give him the ball where you wanted. He puts it down and plays.” — Arsene Wenger

“We can see why he was number one. Not only for what he did during matches, but also for what he did during training sessions. I remember seeing him in training, and I said ‘that’s just incredible.'” — Fernando Morientes (translated from Spanish)

“I played with Raul, Luis Figo, David Beckham, Roberto Carlos and many other great players, but Zinedine Zidane was absolutely wonderful. Not only was he full of surprises during games but also in training. I’ve been in many training sessions in which other players have had to stop and applaud him. He did things I had never seen before; there was no other player who was so technically gifted. It was quite a sight to see him train.” — Fernando Morientes

“He did not like to run but he did not understand football without the ball, which is why he was the first one on the pitch giving 100 per cent in order to recover possession as soon as possible.” — Ivan Campo

“For me, it (playing with Zidane) was an honour. Zizou is one of the greatest players I have ever trained and played with. [ . . . ] My strongest memory (of playing with Zidane) is a move that I played a part in against Valladolid. He started outside the area turning two defenders. I made a wall for him and played him through. He could have shot and probably scored, but a defender came out and he turned him with a roulette dribble. The keeper came out, he rounded him, and then fired the ball into the stand. It was the most beautiful goal that never was!” — Ronaldo (Luis Nazario de Lima) (translated from Spanish)

“He’s the best player with whom I have ever played with. We had a lot of fun on the pitch.” — Ronaldo (Luis Nazario de Lima)

A contentious claim, some would say, but I believe Zidane and Ronaldo's time at Real Madrid was the first time in the history of the game that the two absolute best active footballers in the world played in the same team for a considerable amount of time. Messi and Xavi followed, but Ronaldo and Zidane will be eternally etched in our collective memory.
    A contentious claim, some would say, but I believe Zidane and Ronaldo’s time at Real Madrid was the first time in the history of the game that the two absolute best active footballers in the world played in the same team for a considerable amount of time. Messi and Xavi followed, but Ronaldo and Zidane will be eternally etched in our collective memory.
    Watch that particular highlight here:

While we’re on the topic of the Brazilian Ronaldo, watch this amazing conversation between him and Zidane, after the former joined Real Madrid in 2002. He really is effusive in his praise for the Frenchman.

“Pele, Zidane, Maradona, di Stefano, the four greatest ever.” — Guillem Balague (in 2007)

“Zidane is one of the best footballers of all time, one of my idols. He had such elegance and grace, a wonderful touch and superb vision.” — Ronaldinho

“Simply watching him train inspires me. He is one of the best players in the world. He thinks in one second and does it the next. He is a special player, one who is original and exceptional. He creates space where there is none. Only the very best players can do that. No matter where he gets the ball or how it comes to him, Zidane can get out of trouble. His imagination and his technique are amazing.” — Edgar Davids

“He is the footballer I admire most.” — Edgar Davids

“A very normal guy. I remember guys coming in with their Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghinis, and Zizou comes in with a Fiat Punto. The aura he had, the way he moved on the pitch was special.” — Edwin van der Sar

“The best player was Zinedine Zidane – he was so hard to tackle, so clever with the ball and so fast. He was one of the best.” — Stefan Effenberg

“Zidane is the master. “Over the past 10 years, there’s been no-one like him, he has been the best player in the world.” — Pele (2006)

“He’s a truly great player. The fact that he’s retiring is a great loss for the world of football.” — Kaka (2006)

“Technically, I think he is the king of what’s fundamental in the game — control and passing. I don’t think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball.” — Michel Platini

“I think Zidane is the greatest talent we’ve known in football these last 20 years, yet he never played the prima donna. I am honoured to have been his manager.” — Marcello Lippi (2006)

“The greatest player of the last 20 years? It has to be Zidane. He had everything. You never needed to tell him anything as he did it all by himself and knew what was expected.” — Marcello Lippi

“To train with Zidane for three years was a dream. For me, he is the greatest player of all time.” — David Beckham

“Zinedine Zidane is one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. Last time I played against him at Old Trafford he put in one of the best performances I have ever seen at the ground.” — David Beckham

Watch this short video of David Beckham talking about his favourite memories of Zidane from their time together at Real Madrid. Also, watch out for a cameo by Claude Makelele.

“He is the best player I’ve seen. [ . . ] Zizou had something apart. Playing alongside him was a crazy thing! Supporters arrived earlier at the Bernabeu just to see him warm-up!” — Roberto Carlos

“One of the all-time greats, what Zizou could do with a football will be remembered forever. An honour to say I have played with him.” — Roberto Carlos

“As a player, he was phenomenal. He always earned victories, titles and triumphs. That’s Zizou’s mentality.” — Roberto Carlos

I really enjoy watching Zinedine Zidane. His elegance of movement on the pitch and his skills are uncanny. Apart from being an impressive player, he is also very humble and very likeable as a person.” — Rivaldo

“Zinedine Zidane. What he could do with a football is a dream for most of us.” — Xabi Alonso (when asked about his sporting hero)

“He dominates the ball, he is a walking spectacle and he plays as if he had silk gloves on each foot. He makes it worthwhile going to the stadium — he’s one of the best I have ever seen.” — Alfredo di Stefano

“I think he’s the player that really has been my favourite for the last few years. Playing against him you realise the man is a real genius as a footballer.” — Frank Lampard

“Zidane’s goal in the club’s ninth Champions League win was the goal of a genius, an artist, but I still replay some of his moves in my head. He represents the elegance of a simple hero for Real Madrid.” — Florentino Perez

To cap the effortless brilliance and grace of his game, Zidane was a serial trophy winner, with a World Cup, European Championship, 3 league titles in 2 countries, and 9 other cup competitions. No words can do justice to the shadow he cast over his peers.
    To add to the effortless brilliance and grace of his game, Zidane was a serial trophy winner, with a World Cup, European Championship, 3 league titles in 2 countries, and 9 other cup competitions. No words can do justice to the shadow he cast over his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Of course thats the question if hes sayng hes overated?!?! Hes saying hes more highly rated than he should be.
    I'm merely saying you can assume he was highly rated for him to qualify for being overrated. The same applies for every player mentioned.

Here we go. Let's just judge everyone by stats.
    People can't watch football with their eyes anymore.

Iniesta is shit as well cos he doesn't score as much as Robert Earnshaw ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'm merely saying you can assume he was highly rated for him to qualify for being overrated. The same applies for every player mentioned.
    Great contribution

Great contribution
    I didn't ask you to reply, three times.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    on the wing, attacking central midfield, more or less the same.

Zidane played as number 10 quite often didnt he?.
    Ronaldino played more as a forward, Zidane more central midfield what I recall. He had Raul, Ronaldo and Figo playing in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Here we go. Let's just judge everyone by stats.
    People can't watch football with their eyes anymore.

Iniesta is shit as well cos he doesn't score as much as Robert Earnshaw ffs
    Only players who score or play the final ball count

No regard for how the rest of the game works

Back to the OP.

Aaron Ramsey.

Ronaldino played more as a forward, Zidane more central midfield what I recall. He had Raul, Ronaldo and Figo playing in front of him.
    Whilst he was an "attacking midfielder" he wasn't what we would label a number 10 these days mate in my opinion.

He was more of a Paul Sholes type midfielder than a Lionel Messi number 10

I'm not sure this guy is overrated but someone must rate him cos he wouldn't get in my sunday league team

Lee Cattermole

Has Mario Balotelli been mentioned yet?

Whilst he was an "attacking midfielder" he wasn't what we would label a number 10 these days mate in my opinion.

Think he played more of a 10 for France where he has a 1 in 3 goal ratio (For the the stat lovers)

“For me, he is not a soccer player, he is like a classical musician. When he plays, behind his play, there is, for me, classical music.” — Hidetoshi Nakata

It is all nice this idea of footballers being artists but it takes away from the actual purpose of being on the field.

Ronaldinho did the same except he had the ability to get a load of goals
    You're not giving up are you

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    You're not giving up are you
    I think he might be sleeping it off

Zidane was complete. He could do it all, and was a nasty sod to boot. He also won the Ballon d'Or at Juve and was twice voted the best foreign player in Serie A. He won practically every individual honour, what a player.

David Silva (not in Zizou's league) and Iniesta, probably a small step down, hardly score but they're others that are an utter joy to watch. If you ever get a chance to watch Spain, go.

No mention of Declan John yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    When did Clive Tyldesley play along side Zidane in midfield?
    Exactly my thoughts. Who did Clive ever play for ?

Here is the rest of the list

“Just a genius. So fast, so strong, got the ball on a string about that long (a foot) from his foot, the ball’s at the end and it never goes further than that, really, it’s always under control, always in his radius.” — Michael Owen

“Just exceptional. I would look back at my career and say (he was) the most talented football player (I played with). Whether he was as effective, whether he had as much influence … he won a World Cup and had some influence in that final. He was just born to play football. When you’re a kid, and you’ve got a ball at the end of a rope, and it never leaves you, he was like that with his touch. When he ran, the ball ran in his stride, he was so classy. (He had) power, he was quick off the mark, so strong, his feet were brilliant. He was so gifted, such a natural football player.” — Michael Owen

“He was beautiful to watch, poetry in motion, so elegant as a footballer, like a ballerina on a football pitch.” — Rio Ferdinand

“I admire him a lot. When I was younger, I was watching his videos, the way he was playing. I love big players, but there are some players who have something extra. On the pitch you have 11 players, in the squad, 22, and you see only one or two. You always see him doing something special, the way he’s playing, it’s beautiful to see. [ . . . ] I was always watching him. The ball was in one place but I was always looking for Zidane.” — Paul Pogba

“He looks like when he plays, he is on his sofa, he’s so relaxed. The technique is amazing, and I’ll always remember the goal he scored in the Champions League (vs Bayer Leverkusen), just amazing.” — Patrice Evra

“Zidane, technically, was really the best.” — Carlo Ancelotti

“He would produce one or two pieces of skill that would just make everybody kind of go ” — Sid Lowe

“Zidane was football’s answer to the Bolshoi ballet. I think that’s absolutely true. Zidane was elegance above all else.” — Sid Lowe

“Elegance above all else.”
    “At 18, he wasn’t the great Zidane, no. He was already gifted technically, but not strong physically. But technically, he was superb. He had sublime skill, a superb touch, and all the moves.” — Luis Fernandez (translated from French)

“I was really, really convinced that he was going to get where he did. It wasn’t possible for me to think any other way. He had everything: technique, mental strength, he was level-headed, and possessed the ability to question things in order to improve.” — Francois Grenet (translated from French)

“Once or twice in your career, you need that meeting of talent with delivery. That makes, then, the recognition that yes, this guy is exceptional. That is then the marriage of art with mental strength, and Zidane delivered in ’98 in the final.” — Arsene Wenger

“Zidane has an exceptional coordination, an exceptional touch of the ball. Every area three yards around Zidane, you could give him the ball where you wanted. He puts it down and plays.” — Arsene Wenger

“We can see why he was number one. Not only for what he did during matches, but also for what he did during training sessions. I remember seeing him in training, and I said ‘that’s just incredible.'” — Fernando Morientes (translated from Spanish)

“I played with Raul, Luis Figo, David Beckham, Roberto Carlos and many other great players, but Zinedine Zidane was absolutely wonderful. Not only was he full of surprises during games but also in training. I’ve been in many training sessions in which other players have had to stop and applaud him. He did things I had never seen before; there was no other player who was so technically gifted. It was quite a sight to see him train.” — Fernando Morientes

“He did not like to run but he did not understand football without the ball, which is why he was the first one on the pitch giving 100 per cent in order to recover possession as soon as possible.” — Ivan Campo

“For me, it (playing with Zidane) was an honour. Zizou is one of the greatest players I have ever trained and played with. [ . . . ] My strongest memory (of playing with Zidane) is a move that I played a part in against Valladolid. He started outside the area turning two defenders. I made a wall for him and played him through. He could have shot and probably scored, but a defender came out and he turned him with a roulette dribble. The keeper came out, he rounded him, and then fired the ball into the stand. It was the most beautiful goal that never was!” — Ronaldo (Luis Nazario de Lima) (translated from Spanish)

“He’s the best player with whom I have ever played with. We had a lot of fun on the pitch.” — Ronaldo (Luis Nazario de Lima)

A contentious claim, some would say, but I believe Zidane and Ronaldo's time at Real Madrid was the first time in the history of the game that the two absolute best active footballers in the world played in the same team for a considerable amount of time. Messi and Xavi followed, but Ronaldo and Zidane will be eternally etched in our collective memory.
    A contentious claim, some would say, but I believe Zidane and Ronaldo’s time at Real Madrid was the first time in the history of the game that the two absolute best active footballers in the world played in the same team for a considerable amount of time. Messi and Xavi followed, but Ronaldo and Zidane will be eternally etched in our collective memory.
    Watch that particular highlight here:

While we’re on the topic of the Brazilian Ronaldo, watch this amazing conversation between him and Zidane, after the former joined Real Madrid in 2002. He really is effusive in his praise for the Frenchman.

“Pele, Zidane, Maradona, di Stefano, the four greatest ever.” — Guillem Balague (in 2007)

“Zidane is one of the best footballers of all time, one of my idols. He had such elegance and grace, a wonderful touch and superb vision.” — Ronaldinho

“Simply watching him train inspires me. He is one of the best players in the world. He thinks in one second and does it the next. He is a special player, one who is original and exceptional. He creates space where there is none. Only the very best players can do that. No matter where he gets the ball or how it comes to him, Zidane can get out of trouble. His imagination and his technique are amazing.” — Edgar Davids

“He is the footballer I admire most.” — Edgar Davids

“A very normal guy. I remember guys coming in with their Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghinis, and Zizou comes in with a Fiat Punto. The aura he had, the way he moved on the pitch was special.” — Edwin van der Sar

“The best player was Zinedine Zidane – he was so hard to tackle, so clever with the ball and so fast. He was one of the best.” — Stefan Effenberg

“Zidane is the master. “Over the past 10 years, there’s been no-one like him, he has been the best player in the world.” — Pele (2006)

“He’s a truly great player. The fact that he’s retiring is a great loss for the world of football.” — Kaka (2006)

“Technically, I think he is the king of what’s fundamental in the game — control and passing. I don’t think anyone can match him when it comes to controlling or receiving the ball.” — Michel Platini

“I think Zidane is the greatest talent we’ve known in football these last 20 years, yet he never played the prima donna. I am honoured to have been his manager.” — Marcello Lippi (2006)

“The greatest player of the last 20 years? It has to be Zidane. He had everything. You never needed to tell him anything as he did it all by himself and knew what was expected.” — Marcello Lippi

“To train with Zidane for three years was a dream. For me, he is the greatest player of all time.” — David Beckham

“Zinedine Zidane is one of the greatest players to have ever played the game. Last time I played against him at Old Trafford he put in one of the best performances I have ever seen at the ground.” — David Beckham

Watch this short video of David Beckham talking about his favourite memories of Zidane from their time together at Real Madrid. Also, watch out for a cameo by Claude Makelele.

“He is the best player I’ve seen. [ . . ] Zizou had something apart. Playing alongside him was a crazy thing! Supporters arrived earlier at the Bernabeu just to see him warm-up!” — Roberto Carlos

“One of the all-time greats, what Zizou could do with a football will be remembered forever. An honour to say I have played with him.” — Roberto Carlos

“As a player, he was phenomenal. He always earned victories, titles and triumphs. That’s Zizou’s mentality.” — Roberto Carlos

I really enjoy watching Zinedine Zidane. His elegance of movement on the pitch and his skills are uncanny. Apart from being an impressive player, he is also very humble and very likeable as a person.” — Rivaldo

“Zinedine Zidane. What he could do with a football is a dream for most of us.” — Xabi Alonso (when asked about his sporting hero)

“He dominates the ball, he is a walking spectacle and he plays as if he had silk gloves on each foot. He makes it worthwhile going to the stadium — he’s one of the best I have ever seen.” — Alfredo di Stefano

“I think he’s the player that really has been my favourite for the last few years. Playing against him you realise the man is a real genius as a footballer.” — Frank Lampard

“Zidane’s goal in the club’s ninth Champions League win was the goal of a genius, an artist, but I still replay some of his moves in my head. He represents the elegance of a simple hero for Real Madrid.” — Florentino Perez

To cap the effortless brilliance and grace of his game, Zidane was a serial trophy winner, with a World Cup, European Championship, 3 league titles in 2 countries, and 9 other cup competitions. No words can do justice to the shadow he cast over his peers.
    To add to the effortless brilliance and grace of his game, Zidane was a serial trophy winner, with a World Cup, European Championship, 3 league titles in 2 countries, and 9 other cup competitions. No words can do justice to the shadow he cast over his peers.
    yeah yeah.

But besides all that , what has Zidane ever done for football?

I think he might be sleeping it off
    I think we overate players when they play in different countries.

Italian centre backs for example.

Were people like Nesta that good. Or was it more the team?.

Christian Vieri

I know he had health problems in his early years but........

Kaka

I think we overate players when they play in different countries.

Italian centre backs for example.

Were people like Nesta that good. Or was it more the team?.
    Yes. He made defending look so easy. Also, that AC Milan side attacked a lot, so he had a fair bit to do on the counter.

LordKenwyn in this thread has honestly posted the stupidest opinions ever seen on ccmb. And we have Bluematt and MrsR ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    LordKenwyn in this thread has honestly posted the stupidest opinions ever seen on ccmb. And we have Bluematt and MrsR ffs.