+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wage bills from 15/16 season

Wage bills from 15/16 season

God we were a mess.
    IMG_20170529_095216.jpg

Blue in the Face

Re: Wage bills from 15/16 season

There in lies how we messed up our success.

Going off memory here - I believe we spent somewhere in between £11m - £12.5m on transfer fees in our promotion year, which wasn't too silly back then even though we were being painted as crazy spenders at the time. The wage bill jumped up obviously by the second year (Champ winning season) of the MM era. I think DJ's last year in charge saw him push the wage bill beyond £20m, but in previous seasons I have wage figures in between £16m - £18m in my head. Maybe 16 is too low.

But that £34m figure explains why we were never able to make hay while the sun shone. What a stranglehold. The way to go about promotion to the PL is to bank on the idea that you are likely to come back down. If you can stay up, bonus. But build a side that can smash the Championship once you go back down again. And make sure the wage bill is viable for relegation.

Worth noting that plenty of the other clubs up there had crap seasons in that year also. Fulham, reading, Blackburn, QPR.

Blue in the Face

Also amplifies how great Huds have done too

Doesn't this just confirm what a crazy industry football has become. Unsustainable wages mean that clubs are living beyond their means and gambling on success. Surely its only a matter of time before a big name established club actually goes under.

Hence the arrival of Slade to reduce the wage burden,move costly players on , and keep us safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    There in lies how we messed up our success.

Going off memory here - I believe we spent somewhere in between £11m - £12.5m on transfer fees in our promotion year, which wasn't too silly back then even though we were being painted as crazy spenders at the time. The wage bill jumped up obviously by the second year (Champ winning season) of the MM era. I think DJ's last year in charge saw him push the wage bill beyond £20m, but in previous seasons I have wage figures in between £16m - £18m in my head. Maybe 16 is too low.

But that £34m figure explains why we were never able to make hay while the sun shone. What a stranglehold. The way to go about promotion to the PL is to bank on the idea that you are likely to come back down. If you can stay up, bonus. But build a side that can smash the Championship once you go back down again. And make sure the wage bill is viable for relegation.
    To me it shows what a poor job our contract negotiators did of relinquishing caveats that would benefit us and incentivise the players such as automatic pay cuts.

Also when was that data captured? After first game? As we obviously got a lot of players off our books quite quickly

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    To me it shows what a poor job our contract negotiators did of relinquishing caveats that would benefit us and incentivise the players such as automatic pay cuts.

Also when was that data captured? After first game? As we obviously got a lot of players off our books quite quickly

Warnock talked last season about the gravy train coming to an end so before he came I wouldn't be surprised if we had a reputation amongst agents as a soft touch & were well & truly taken advantage of. Thankfully those days appear to be behind us as Warnock appears to be very hands on as far as transfers are concerned.