+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Underrated player

Most Underrated player

David Silva, consistently class for Man City. Since he moved to England he has created more chances and assisted more goals than any other player and has won 2 league titles. But he has never once won any sort of award (not even a player of the month) or been in the PFA team of the season.

Lukaku maybe not underrated but I think people forget how young he is considering the number of goals he's scored.

Re: Most Underrated player

Pat Heard wasn't as bad as we all said he was.

Someone like James milner probably.
    Or going by the other thread perhaps Zinedine Zidane

Glenn Hoddle. Just over 50 caps for England. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Glenn Hoddle. Just over 50 caps for England. What a waste.
    Matt Le Tissier, only 8 caps for England ,which is just ridiculous.

as a kid with only match of the day to keep up with football i loved watching Hoddle,fantastic player.
    Also from the same period, Liam Brady was a class above.

Earnie. Although his goals saved West Brom from relegation, he had a poor manager in Robson. Never had a chance to shine at the top level again apart from a few appearances in an awful Derby side.

If shearer had that goal scoring record in la liga, italy or germany he'd be talked about as one of the all time greats:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/all-time

Ashley cole was consistently a beast as well. He could've gone to one the spanish big boys I think.

Rui Costa a championship manager legend is fading form memory as well.

Tony Currie, Peter Osgood, Alan Hudson, all flair players who didn't fit in with the establishment's functional football at the time.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tony Currie, Peter Osgood, Alan Hudson, all flair players who didn't fit in with the establishment's functional football at the time.
    Some good calls there and I would add Frank Worthington,Stan Bowles and Rodney Marsh.
    However my pick would be Peter Crouch. A remarkable scoring record especially at international level considering a large amount of his appearances were off the bench.

Tommy Smith hard man, only one England cap great defender.

Cristiano Ronaldo (By some)

Because (some) people don't like him his a person his achievements as a footballer are not recognised (by some)

Souness had it all

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Because (some) people don't like him his a person his achievements as a footballer are not recognised (by some)

Iniesta only because he deserved to win at least one ballon dor

Dennis Irwin.

Stephen McPhail

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Hmmmmm

I've always thought Scott Parker was a very underrated player - Dennis Irwin is a good shout as well.

Is underrated and underappreciated the same thing? I don't think it is because I always thought most City fans knew that Steve McPhail was a very talented player, but there were many who never really appreciated what he bought to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Pat Heard wasn't as bad as we all said he was.
    No he was worse
    Along with Cameron Toshack Andy Kerr and Joe Jordan's son, (cannot even remember his name) Heard would get into a lot of fans who had the misfortune to watch him not performing, all time worst City 11

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always thought Scott Parker was a very underrated player - Dennis Irwin is a good shout as well.

Is underrated and underappreciated the same thing? I don't think it is because I always thought most City fans knew that Steve McPhail was a very talented player, but there were many who never really appreciated what he bought to the team.
    Parker did win a footballer of the year award!

Agree with Irwin. Robbie Keane is also fairly underrated - he's one of the top international scorers of all time. A similar player (even looks similar) is Klose. Top German goalscorer, all-time top scorer at the World Cup, finished at least third in four World Cups (surely no other player has played in four World Cup semifinals), played in two finals and won it too.

For current players, Eriksen is a overshadowed by Alli and Kane at Spurs and probably deserves more attention.

I would go for John McGovern. Even those of us who watched a lot of football in the 1970s barely remember him. You never noticed him, but after watching a lot of old games on YouTube I can now see why Clough valued him so highly. He was a master of the interception and then making a telling pass. Some of those mentioned so far were very highly rated - Hoddle, Currie,etc. All eyes used to be on them. But McGovern was overlooked by everyone except those like Clough who really understood the game.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Hmmmmm
    Wasnt aimed at you mate honest, but if the cap fits

You are not alone in your hatred for Ronaldo, which I think clouds a lot of peoples judgements when admitting how good he actually is.

Ronaldo doesn't get as much praise as he is basically a poacher now.

And hes got his own bloody museum.

Heskey gets far too much stick, you don't score 110 times in the Premier League if you're hopeless. Also, Owen says he's the best strike partner he's ever had.

[QUOTE=LordKenwyne;4746870]Ronaldo doesn't get as much praise as he is basically a poacher now.

Are you serious?