+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americanisms in the work place

Americanisms in the work place

I have noticed over the last 30 yrs that the youngsters in work are increasingly using more and more US phrases, apparently one of them coming in to work "pissed" isn't the same as it used to be. Don't get me started on coffee shops

Re: Americanisms in the work place

Inevitable really, given the amount of American culture we get over here.

I reckon they're the "Disney Channel" generation

The next tw*t who comes in the pub and says to the barman "can I get" when asking for drinks, is going to get chucked through the facking window, argh, does my head in.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I have noticed over the last 30 yrs that the youngsters in work are increasingly using more and more US phrases, apparently one of them coming in to work "pissed" isn't the same as it used to be. Don't get me started on coffee shops
    I have frequently had to go and have a quiet word with myself after asking for my morning double shot Americano with space to go

lets touch base on this subject

Rookie now being heard a lot for debutants. Hate the word.

The use of " Impact ".

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    The next tw*t who comes in the pub and says to the barman "can I get" when asking for drinks, is going to get chucked through the facking window, argh, does my head in.
    Susy Sent was on the radio the other day and she was saying that "can I get" style of usage of the word get started in British English a long time ago, think it was in Shakespeare possibly

Work Colleagues

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Susy Sent was on the radio the other day and she was saying that "can I get" style of usage of the word get started in British English a long time ago, think it was in Shakespeare possibly
    Many 'American' words and phrases are from an older form of English. Languages tend to change quicker when spoken by large populations - and what were once smaller colonies retained features of the language long since abandoned by the linguistic mother countries.

Reach out, as in can you reach out to someone

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Reach out, as in can you reach out to someone
    That's Old English too.

Don't know if it's american but it annoys me greatly when people say things in that NATO phonetic alphabet like whisky alfa bravo

I have people calling my work reading them off so frantically youd think they were trying to send coordinates in Vietnam.

I know it is helpful sometimes but it takes me more time to work out what begins with what.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Don't know if it's american but it annoys me greatly when people say things in that NATO phonetic alphabet like whisky alfa bravo

I have people calling my work reading them off so frantically youd think they were trying to send coordinates in Vietnam.

I know it is helpful sometimes but it takes me more time to work out what begins with what.
    One time a colleague was giving out a password to a user over the phone.

It's a for affect.... No Affect. Not effect
    It's m for mnemonic...
    P for pneumonia
    T for tsunami

etc etc.

The user called back shortly afterwards with a locked account. How we laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    The use of " Impact ".
    Guilty as charged

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    One time a colleague was giving out a password to a user over the phone.

It's a for affect.... No Affect. Not effect
    It's m for mnemonic...
    P for pneumonia
    T for tsunami

etc etc.

The user called back shortly afterwards with a locked account. How we laughed.

The use of " Impact ".
    In what way? It has been used as both a noun and a verb for centuries. Used since the thirties in the context of having a forceful effect on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    In what way? It has been used as both a noun and a verb for centuries. Used since the thirties in the context of having a forceful effect on something.
    Same for to ACTION something. Despite your claim both these words weren't used as they now are in the UK until we turned into the 53rd state.

You have an impact upon something or you take action to sort out something. Lazy Yankisms which the BBC et al should never have got into using.

Same for to ACTION something. Despite your claim both these words weren't used as they now are in the UK until we turned into the 53rd state.

You have an impact upon something or you take action to sort out something. Lazy Yankisms which the BBC et al should never have got into using.
    53rd?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    53rd?
    Some people think the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are states.

They're not

Starting a sentence with "So" as in "So, I was driving to work....." it seems to be used as a way of getting what u want say out as abruptly as possible and without any consideration if the person you are talking to wants to hear it.

People who use Best instead of Regards when signing off an email.

Not sure if thats an Americanism but its annoying

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People who use Best instead of Regards when signing off an email.

Not sure if thats an Americanism but its annoying
    Regards isn't much better.

Yay.