+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Americanisms in the work place

Re: Americanisms in the work place

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Evolution doesn't always mean progress.

You're right though about the miserable old bastards complaining - why else do you think we all come on here?
    lecters offff agin ffs

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I am embarrassed to say I use the term "from the get go"
    That's what happens when your football team's owners are American.

It's the slow infiltration of American spellings into our everyday usage that bugs me.
    It's all Microsofts fault that organization now has a 'z' instead of an 's' and there's plenty of other examples aswell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    That's what happens when your football team's owners are American.
    Ffs mun

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's just short fire side dish.

A thread full of miserable old bastards complaining about the evolution of language. People need to relax.
    Don't you mean 'chillax'?

International

A garbage dumster isn't a skip, it's a vehicle that picks up wheelie bins and tips them (or dumps the contents) into the back of the truck.

My pet hate is when you are trying to do something on the phone and the person you are talking to makes an error and then says "Oh sorry, my bad!!"

I said to one girl after 4 or 5 of these,"If you're so bad why don't you change your job."
    She hung up.

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4748682]A garbage dumster isn't a skip, it's a vehicle that picks up wheelie bins and tips them (or dumps the contents) into the back of the truck.

My pet hate is when you are trying to do something on the phone and the person you are talking to makes an error and then says "Oh sorry, my bad!!"

It's a bin lorry then isn't it. Actually I'm sure we used to call it the ash cart when I was a kid.

And that "my bad" bollox can sod off back across the Atlantic a bit lively too.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    When I was in the states recently I was walking down the street with my Mrs and coming towards me was some random bloke in his 30's with his mrs.
    About 6 feet away he put his hand in the air, a bit bemused I carried on walking only to hear him shout "aw hey man, don't leave me hangin' "
    So it was you! I was in the USA just last week and that still walking around, hand in the air, looking for you.

We are not alone. I saw this item, which I believe was from The Guardian, which sums up how our language is being corrupted.

Arseholery.jpg

[QUOTE=Barry Shitpeas;4748749]
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    A garbage dumster isn't a skip, it's a vehicle that picks up wheelie bins and tips them (or dumps the contents) into the back of the truck.

It's a bin lorry then isn't it. Actually I'm sure we used to call it the ash cart when I was a kid.

And that "my bad" bollox can sod off back across the Atlantic a bit lively too.
    Me too.
    The (metal) bin was usually full of ash from the coal fire(s) in the house - hardly any of the crap we throw out these days.
    That's why most plastic bins have "no hot ashes" embossed on them.