+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Trident versus Fighting Terrorism

Trident versus Fighting Terrorism

Amazed that the Tories and more disappointingly Labour are not now talking about scrapping the 200 BILLION Trident renewal and instead looking to invest more in fighting terrorism - intelligence, internet and police work to combat terrorism.

Threats to our country are more immediate and not from nuclear weapons... and even scrapping trident doesn't mean we won't have any nuclear weapons.

No one can provide one single example where Trident has stopped a terrorist or other form of attack against us - yet still the main parties continue to back trident.

I say scrap Trident and invest the money into counter terrorism activities, better detention, better internet/web monitoring, better engagement with Muslim countries to combat terrorism in their own counties and putting more pressure on countries supporting terrorism to take better control through international bodies such as Nato - countries that by the way this hideous primeminster has been cosying up to to for economic reasons and this same primeminister who took 20000 police officers off the street.

Surely now the Trident investment must be redirected to combat our immediate threats.

Re: Trident versus Fighting Terrorism

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Amazed that the Tories and more disappointingly Labour are not now talking about scrapping the 200 BILLION Trident renewal and instead looking to invest more in fighting terrorism - intelligence, internet and police work to combat terrorism.

Threats to our country are more immediate and not from nuclear weapons... and even scrapping trident doesn't mean we won't have any nuclear weapons.

No one can provide one single example where Trident has stopped a terrorist or other form of attack against us - yet still the main parties continue to back trident.

I say scrap Trident and invest the money into counter terrorism activities, better detention, better internet/web monitoring, better engagement with Muslim countries to combat terrorism in their own counties and putting more pressure on countries supporting terrorism to take better control through international bodies such as Nato - countries that by the way this hideous primeminster has been cosying up to to for economic reasons and this same primeminister who took 20000 police officers off the street.

Surely now the Trident investment must be redirected to combat our immediate threats.
    Aren't there only 9 countries with nuclear armaments left in the world? Let's be honest, there's almost certainly no scenario where Britain would "strike first", so the only time we'd be likely to use it is if we'd already been nuked in the first place; it would be purely retaliatory, "you've killed millions of Brits so we'll do the same to you". That's a scary thought.

If Trident is a prevention rather than a retaliation, then how many attempts has it prevented so far and how many is it likely to prevent in the future? How much of the fear of retaliation is likely to stop a mad dictator? If the answer to the last question is little/none, then Trident is a waste of time completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Aren't there only 9 countries with nuclear armaments left in the world? Let's be honest, there's almost certainly no scenario where Britain would "strike first", so the only time we'd be likely to use it is if we'd already been nuked in the first place; it would be purely retaliatory, "you've killed millions of Brits so we'll do the same to you". That's a scary thought.

If Trident is a prevention rather than a retaliation, then how many attempts has it prevented so far and how many is it likely to prevent in the future? How much of the fear of retaliation is likely to stop a mad dictator? If the answer to the last question is little/none, then Trident is a waste of time completely.
    Trident is a Cash Cow

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Of course not, because Britain are so innocent and whiter than white when it comes to war and killing aren't they?
    Wake up.

I'm all for nuking swarthy looking people who have enormous beards whether they happen to be riding a camel or not. Let's bomb 'em! Now would be a good time what with Britain's Got Talent having just finished there's precious little else on the box to keep us entertained.

If we're paying for Trident and it has a use by date, why are we not using it?

I'll give you an example. I once bought a Melton mowbray pork pie put it in the fridge and forgot all about it. When I came across it a week or two later it had gone past its use by date. I felt ****ing gutted and cheated (it cost a couple of quid). I had a moody all day about not using it. To perk myself up I bought another Melton Mowbray pork pie.

Strangely enough I didn't eat that one either. There is a point to this post but I'm ****ed if I know what it is?

Anyway let's bomb the terrorists using Trident and get our moneys worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

I'll give you an example. I once bought a Melton mowbray pork pie put it in the fridge and forgot all about it. When I came across it a week or two later it had gone past its use by date. I felt ****ing gutted and cheated (it cost a couple of quid). I had a moody all day about not using it. To perk myself up I bought another Melton Mowbray pork pie.

Strangely enough I didn't eat that one either. There is a point to this post but I'm ****ed if I know what it is?

😂

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Of course not, because Britain are so innocent and whiter than white when it comes to war and killing aren't they?
    Wake up.
    You think Britain would strike first with a nuclear attack? That scares me.

Why don't we all put a melton mowbray porkpie in our fridge, and leave it till it goes all stale and hard, then we can all throw them at the terrorists!

Can't we pretend that we've renewed Trident, and not tell anybody that we haven't?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Why don't we all put a melton mowbray porkpie in our fridge, and leave it till it goes all stale and hard, then we can all throw them at the terrorists!
    How the **** is that going to stop terrorism? Stop acting the prick this is serious shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Can't we pretend that we've renewed Trident, and not tell anybody that we haven't?
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Brilliant.

Blog Entries

I said that in the last Trident thread, they might have already done that

How the **** is that going to stop terrorism? Stop acting the prick this is serious shit.
    Listen mate. A stale porkpie killed Ernie. (The fastest milkman in the west) !!!!!!

Listen mate. A stale porkpie killed Ernie. (The fastest milkman in the west) !!!!!!
    Michael Fallon exactly fits my mental picture of Two-Ton Ted from Teddington!

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...nthewest.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Michael Fallon exactly fits my mental picture of Two-Ton Ted from Teddington!

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...nthewest.shtml
    😭

Over a woman of all things, the stupid b@stard.

Anyway I stand corrected but stand by my idea of using Trident to bomb the terrorists areas into submission e.g. London, Manchester, Leeds.

See the building tension between USA and North Korea: it's better if the crazy leaders don't have access to nuclear weapons but having them in your arsenal will not stop a crazy leader playing war games. I guess the only argument left is that it will stop the crazy leader attacking but the world is a safer place without them entirely and the cost is massive to keep them. Even if you see them as necessary, pressing that button should be a bloody difficult decision and if not then question your attitude to human life.

Trident is past it's sell by date we need to move on to fight modern ways

If the Tories taxed the rich corporations and banks properly we could afford BOTH but they won't upset their pals
    will they ?