+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh Guards return to the Falklands 35 years on.

Welsh Guards return to the Falklands 35 years on.

Just watched this on Panorama. Very emotional and touching to
    see these men still haunted by what happened to them after all
    this time.
    Brought a tear to my eye and made me grateful I never had to do what
    they did.

As the best cartoon of that time said against a cenotaph inscribed with the names of the dead.

" They died to save her face " The face belonging , of course , to Thatcher.

Re: Welsh Guards return to the Falklands 35 years on.

I'm no fan of Thatcher but what other option did she have? What Prime Minister would chose to just abandon British citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm no fan of Thatcher but what other option did she have? What Prime Minister would chose to just abandon British citizens?
    She failed to read the signs of what might happen if the only Royal Navy ship in the area
    was withdrawn and didn't post a strong military force on the Falklands to deter an attack.
    Even when some Argie " scrap dealers " landed on South Georgia she did sweet fa.

She had no choice but to send the task force if she wasn't to lose face but it could have
    been prevented if she had kept her eye on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    She failed to read the signs of what might happen if the only Royal Navy ship in the area
    was withdrawn and didn't post a strong military force on the Falklands to deter an attack.
    Even when some Argie " scrap dealers " landed on South Georgia she did sweet fa.

She had no choice but to send the task force if she wasn't to lose face but it could have
    Fair enough. I bow to your greater knowledge of this conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post

Argie " scrap dealers " Nothing like Marines at all them argies were cheeky scamps

The ship was HMS Endurance if my memory it correct

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Her cabinet advisors told her there was a diplomatic solution imminent.
    But that wouldn't have boosted her flagging ratings.

The Belgrano was sailing away from the exclusion zone, so she quickly ordered the RN to attack.