+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sgt Pepper - iconic album or indulgent whimsy ?

Re: Sgt Pepper - iconic album or indulgent whimsy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Give Forever Changes a few listens, the songs kind of seep into your brain without realising.
    Fantastic album.
    Agreed. I found this album recently because I decided just to run through the Rolling Stone Top 500 songs list.

Alone Again Or was Number 470 ish, and it blew me away. The album is great.

Pet Sounds, released a year earlier, is superior to Sgt Pepper in every way (A Day in the Life excluded).

I still cannot see why Pepper was so highly regarded at the time and now.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post
    The decision not to include Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane looks crazy in hindsight.
    I don't think those songs were ready. Both great tracks, and I think they were toying with an idea for a "Liverpool" album. That may have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post
    The decision not to include Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane looks crazy in hindsight.
    Yeah, I read about that too.

Did they not slot right in with the concept then?

Joking aside (and I know it had to do with filthy lucre), they don't have the same feel as the rest of the album to my untutored ear.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think the Velvet Underground and Kinks were way better .

Beatles were not a bad pop band ,and this it for me .
    The Kinks are still vastly under rated. The Cardiff incident was costly because it prevented them from cracking America. Waterloo Sunset was genius. Also, the humour in their songs was distinctly British.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    WTF is that

Give Forever Changes a few listens, the songs kind of seep into your brain without realising.
    Fantastic album.
    Forever Changes great album, as is Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies. Odyssey having been misspelt by the cover artist, the band didn't have the heart to tell him, so the story goes...

Fantastic album.
    Forever Changes great album, as is Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies. Odyssey having been misspelt by the cover artist, and the band didn't have the heart to tell him, so the story goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Yeah, I read about that too.

Did they not slot right in with the concept then?

Joking aside (and I know it had to do with filthy lucre), they don't have the same feel as the rest of the album to my untutored ear.
    I stand corrected, both songs were recorded in time for the album.

It looks like they didn't release any Sgt Pepper tracks as singles?

Fantastic album.
    Second time round as I am typing Charlie.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I stand corrected, both songs were recorded in time for the album.

It looks like they didn't release any Sgt Pepper tracks as singles?
    I think there were rules in place where album tracks couldn't be released as singles in the same year. Hence Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane never appearing on an album.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think there were rules in place where album tracks couldn't be released as singles in the same year. Hence Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane never appearing on an album.
    There were never many singles released off Beatles albums. That's what made them such good value.

Not my words, the words of my dad who still has a pretty impressive collection of Beatles vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Second time round as I am typing Charlie.
    Spedger
    Its not an instant album, but once the songs are in your head they are there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There were never many singles released off Beatles albums. That's what made them such good value.

Not my words, the words of my dad who still has a pretty impressive collection of Beatles vinyl
    I am sure it's because of an industry rule, but I can't find anything to support it on Google. The closest I can find is George Martin saying they didn't think it gives fans value for money to release twice.

So it must be one of those Mandela Effect things in my head. Need to find the Beatles book I thought I read it in.

In much the same way that Ziggy Stardust is classed as a concept album.

Which is 35 years old today. Happy birthday Ziggy.
    This should have read 45 years old today..

I've always preferred the Beatles stuff up to 1966 compared to their later recordings. Around 1967, music got self indulgent for a almost a decade and this eventually led to the tedium that was prog rock. In my view, Sergeant Pepper is thought of as a classic because of it's "cleverness" - I agree with those who say Revolver was the Beatles' best album.

Sgt. Pepper - The most over rated album of all time!

There were far, far better albums being released in '67. Off the top of my head, The Doors 1st album, Love's 'Forever Changes', The Velvet Underground & Nico, Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced', Cream 'Disraeli Gears. Big Brother & The Holding Company, Small Faces 'Small Faces'. Both Geno Washington & The Ram Jams album releases from 67 ' Shake A Tail Feather' & Hipsters, Filpsters an Finger Poppin' Daddies are far superior to that pile of tosh that is St Pepper

Maybe I should compile a list of the 100 1967 album releases that were ALL better than Sgt. Pepper?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sgt. Pepper - The most over rated album of all time!

There were far, far better albums being released in '67. Off the top of my head, The Doors 1st album, Love's 'Forever Changes', The Velvet Underground & Nico, Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced', Cream 'Disraeli Gears. Big Brother & The Holding Company, Small Faces 'Small Faces'. Both Geno Washington & The Ram Jams album releases from 67 ' Shake A Tail Feather' & Hipsters, Filpsters an Finger Poppin' Daddies are far superior to that pile of tosh that is St Pepper

Maybe I should compile a list of the 100 1967 album releases that were ALL better than Sgt. Pepper?
    Don't bother as it's a matter of taste!
    I was 5 when this was released and listened properly to the album non stop when i was 9-10. I'm no beatles fan but i think this was a great album
    It pissed of The beach boys who were hoping that their release, Good vibrations, was going to be groundbreaking stuff.

I love Sgt Pepper, but I am a bit of a Beatles fanatic but Forever Changes is perhaps better. Andmoreagain!! What a haunting song. Waiting for the Sun by The Doors is another stand out from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I recognize the revolutionary techniques and ideas on the album, but I wouldn't put any of the songs in my top 250 favourite tracks. In fact, for me, some covers are better than the Beatles' recordings - like Joe Cocker's Help From My Friends.

I also don't get that it's often described as a concept album. All the tracks seem unrelated. How can you link Within You, Without You to any of the other songs.

Incidentally, the NY Times critic who panned the album (remembered by Macca earlier this year) evidently played it on provably faulty equipment - which may have slightly influenced his reaction. But even with decent audio, I wouldn't take it to a Desert Island.
    To be honest I wouldn't put any Beatles song in my top 250 favourite tracks.
    For me they are the most over rated band ever. Although I did like a lot of Lennon's stuff once they split.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I love Sgt Pepper, but I am a bit of a Beatles fanatic but Forever Changes is perhaps better. Andmoreagain!! What a haunting song. Waiting for the Sun by The Doors is another stand out from that era.
    Here's the album.....Forever Changes that is....

https://youtu.be/Q1L11Y0I5E0

Never saw the appeal of the doors tbh

It's an interesting snapshot of the Beatles as they were at the time. High on drugs much of the time (Lennon in particular), retired from gigging, the album was absolutely huge at the time. It was undoubtedly a lazy album - Lennon's contributions were random (a breakfast cereal commercial, a drawing made by his son (allegedly) and a circus poster). McCartney took over the production of it, probably because Lennon was experimenting with other things. He had the idea of an album with a theme; Britishness, maybe loneliness runs through it.

By now, it was easy to spot which Beatle had written which song. The band had fragmented into individual interests. It had arguably become a showcase for each member's individuality. Even 'A Day in the Life' was an amalgamation of separate songs by Lennon and McCartney.

As for being groundbreaking, Revolver was probably more so than Sergeant Pepper. I prefer Revolver as an album.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not great.

Watch the documentary. I believe it's on BBC iPlayer.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...told-treasures

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Never saw the appeal of the doors tbh
    Same here.

This is fantastic, by Peter Serafinowicz - what happens to the "woke up fell out of bed" guy for the rest of his Day In The Life.

https://soundcloud.com/user5316795/a...ay-in-the-life