+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

Apple’s iOS 11 update means iPhone 5 and 5C will no longer receive updates, while some apps and games will be incompatible after switch to 64-bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-5-5c-obsolete

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Apple’s iOS 11 update means iPhone 5 and 5C will no longer receive updates, while some apps and games will be incompatible after switch to 64-bit.

some are now, ABP does not work on 32 bit

Slightly misleading headline from the Graun as it won't render them obsolete, they just won't be able to update to the latest version of iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Slightly misleading headline from the Graun as it won't render them obsolete, they just won't be able to update to the latest version of iOS.
    Now is probably a good time to check what the term obsolete actually means

Now is probably a good time to check what the term obsolete actually means
    Guilty as charged.

In the interest of balance , is this any different to android phones. It being updated to the latest version ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    In the interest of balance , is this any different to android phones. It being updated to the latest version ?
    You can still update old android phone, even if the phone manufacturer stops supplying an update. It's a cost consideration on behalf of a specific phone manufacturer, not a limitation of the OS.

This has been happening since 2008, nothing new here

You can still update old android phone, even if the phone manufacturer stops supplying an update. It's a cost consideration on behalf of a specific phone manufacturer, not a limitation of the OS.
    That very much depends on how you want to do it. My 2.5yr old Samsung tablet was bought with Android 5 on it. It got Android 6 the day Android 7 came out. I very much doubt Samsung care about the tablet enough to release any new updates so it is therefor now obsolete.

I could install cyanogenmod onto it (and indeed have but rolled back due to...), but then things like Sky Go won't work.

while true, in real terms the 'droid OS will mean the phone will run clunky and the apps will struggle

so when the newest 'droid update gets too far ahead, the phone / tablet will not run it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    while true, in real terms the 'droid OS will mean the phone will run clunky and the apps will struggle

so when the newest 'droid update gets too far ahead, the phone / tablet will not run it
    In saying that, my old Samung runs all current apps, even though the OS is not the latest. It does get security updates though.

In saying that, my old Samung runs all current apps, even though the OS is not the latest. It does get security updates though.
    Yes, but i bet you will see a difference on a new machine running the same app as your old samsung ( though the Sammy's are normally well speced and the 'droid app designers seem to aim at getting them running well on the lower speced machines )

I have been selling old " Nook color or Nook HD's " 100 of them , well 110 to be precise as i blagged 10% for them that wouldnt work, though all have been fine ( infact 2 people have had them of me on here, all gone now though folks ) , installing " kitkat " on them and running them as a 'droid tablet

while they are not the fastest, they came with " Nook's version of 'droid " ( it was very trimmed down ) I installed kitkat and its stable, will run online games like " clash of the clans " etc etc but it is fairly slow, it plays Video's in 720, so on a 7" screen its fine

BUT if i install Lollipop or anything since then, they grind to a halt, so we have kitkat that is 3 years old ( ish ) and running on 7 year old machine, cannot moan if you are still getting life out of a 7yr old machine

Phone manufacturers such as Samsung, LG and HTC skin the UI layer of the Android OS, hence there is cost involved when updating older models, and that is the specific reason why they stop updating them, beyond any technical considerations.

I've got an old Nexus 7.2 tablet which still works great for everything.

Apple are slightly different in that they own the software and the hardware, so they control the entire iPhone ecosystem.

Android already rendered them obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    and we're off

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yea, you could well be right

Apple only sold slightly more than 10 million iPhone 6 units during the launch weekend , 13 million iPhone 6s in the first 10 days, and 13 million iPhone 7 at the launch

they are wobbling