+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If/when Corbyn loses?

If/when Corbyn loses?

Assuming the outcome will be as predicted should Jeremy Corbyn step down?

Six weeks ago a lot of people (me included) assumed that he'd get thumped and his position would be untenable come June 9th.

While I still think he'll lose, it's clear that he's built up some momentum over the last few weeks and more and more people are starting to see him in a more positive light.

Meanwhile on the other side, its almost a complete role reversal. What started off as a free shot for the Tories to greatly increase their majority has turned into a campaign that has shown Theresa May to be far from the strong and stable leader that she wants us to believe she is.

We could well have a situation come Friday where the loser comes out of this with far more credit than the winner. Personally I think that the past few weeks have shown that people are desperate for labour to get its act together and give an alternative to the Tories. I also believe that this election campaign has sealed Theresa May's fate and it's only a matter of time before she gets stabbed in the back by her own party. If she's struggling to look convincing at this point against the mess that is the current labour set up then she certainly won't be trusted to run against a more credible opposition in five years time.

Re: If/when Corbyn loses?

If when JC Loses I'd like to see Keir Starmer in charge. Class act on radio 4 this morning.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    If when JC Loses I'd like to see Keir Starmer in charge. Class act on radio 4 this morning.
    he came across well but just like every politician he dodges the questions he can't answer. He is no Dianne Abbot though.

My personal view, and it is only that, is that on social media and forums such as this Corbyn is overplayed somewhat, whereas in reality, he isn't do as well. I expect a Tory victory, but we need a good showing from Labour to hold this government to account and stop the inexorable march to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Agreed. Bit dry but he definitely has that kind of credibility that the British public just want to trust.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    he came across well but just like every politician he dodges the questions he can't answer. He is no Dianne Abbot though.

My personal view, and it is only that, is that on social media and forums such as this Corbyn is overplayed somewhat, whereas in reality, he isn't do as well. I expect a Tory victory, but we need a good showing from Labour to hold this government to account and stop the inexorable march to the right.
    Agree with that, whilst i don't see a coalitions The Green, SNP, Labour, Lib Dems and Plaid need to be aligned in holding the Tories to account.

It is my opinion that the establishment and the corporations are desperate for the Labour Party to make a swift return to their Tory Lite version.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    There is no magic money tree, just as there were no WMD. Everybody wanted to find it - to prove they were right all along - and that they hadnt been lied to.

The election was called to get a mandate for Brexit - and that really is all that matters in this election. In 11 days after the election result - the Brexit negotiations start. So you only have one question to ask yourself.
    Do you want David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox or do you want Keir Starmer, Emily Thornberry and Barry Gardine.

I digress a little - you also have to add in the mix - the spending plans. Labour want to spend / borrow an extra 250 billion in the hope that they can find that money from corporation tax increases - even though companies will instead move the money elsewhere. And then you find you have spent the money - and cant recoup it.

In my constituency - its a Labour done deal already. So my vote will go to whoever is likely to defeat the Labour candidate
    48% of us didn't want Brexshit in the first place so personally I don't care who negotiates but I do hope it all goes completely tits up so I can have the pleasure of saying " told you " to the thick prats who voted for it , encouraged by the rabid Tory press.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    48% of us didn't want Brexshit in the first place so personally I don't care who negotiates but I do hope it all goes completely tits up so I can have the pleasure of saying " told you " to the thick prats who voted for it , encouraged by the rabid Tory press.
    Likewise I want the Tories to win, so I can sneak a wry smile as I sip cocktails in my tropical hideaway

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    You imply Brexit prevailed because of a handful of newspapers. But in the Remain corner was the rest of the media, every political party bar UKIP and not just the UK establishment but the European and world too with the IMF and World Bank weighing in along with US President Obama. It's difficult to dispute that the powers that be pushed very hard for a Remain outcome.

You need not sulk though as Procrastinate-it and Dilute-it is the name of the game.

It depends how Labour do. If the Tories don't win a majority of more than 50 he should stay. If they have a majority of 50/75 its borderline but if Lab's share of the vote is at least 33% he should stay. A Con maj north of 75 and I think he should quit.

If Labour win less seats than last time (231) then surely Corbyn would have to go.

The odds are they'll remain on just one seat in the whole of Scotland come Friday. Those canny Jocks sussed-out years back that despite appearances to the contrary Tories/Labour delivered the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    If Labour win less seats than last time (231) then surely Corbyn would have to go.

The odds are they'll remain on just one seat in the whole of Scotland come Friday. Those canny Jocks sussed-out years back that despite appearances to the contrary Tories/Labour delivered the same thing.
    Nope. I think Labour will pick up a bigger share of the vote this time around than in either 2010 and 2015 but will lose seats as Con will poll at over 40%. Lab may even poll more than the 35% Blair's Labour did in 2005 when they won a comfortable majority. So even if they lose seats he can argue they have won a greater share of the national vote. He had also campaigned well and I think more of the party will back him if the losses are relatively few.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It is my opinion that the establishment and the corporations are desperate for the Labour Party to make a swift return to their Tory Lite version.
    That's been clear right from the time he was first elected leader. The personality assassination started immediately and there has been no let up. The fact that he finds himself in a much stronger position now despite the absolutely relentless smearing is very impressive. May wouldn't last five minutes in the face of such media aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    That's been clear right from the time he was first elected leader. The personality assassination started immediately and there has been no let up. The fact that he finds himself in a much stronger position now despite the absolutely relentless smearing is very impressive. May wouldn't last five minutes in the face of such media aggression.
    Spot on. He is incredibly resilient

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Tremendous insight there.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    There is no magic money tree, just as there were no WMD. Everybody wanted to find it - to prove they were right all along - and that they hadnt been lied to.

The election was called to get a mandate for Brexit - and that really is all that matters in this election. In 11 days after the election result - the Brexit negotiations start. So you only have one question to ask yourself.
    Do you want David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox or do you want Keir Starmer, Emily Thornberry and Barry Gardine.

I digress a little - you also have to add in the mix - the spending plans. Labour want to spend / borrow an extra 250 billion in the hope that they can find that money from corporation tax increases - even though companies will instead move the money elsewhere. And then you find you have spent the money - and cant recoup it.

In my constituency - its a Labour done deal already. So my vote will go to whoever is likely to defeat the Labour candidate
    You forgot to mention strong and stable, and Jeremy being Part of ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    You forgot to mention strong and stable, and Jeremy being Part of ISIS.
    Playing Theresa May catchphrase bingo with ninianclark's posts is great fun.

Ohh balls I am stalking him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    You imply Brexit prevailed because of a handful of newspapers. But in the Remain corner was the rest of the media, every political party bar UKIP and not just the UK establishment but the European and world too with the IMF and World Bank weighing in along with US President Obama. It's difficult to dispute that the powers that be pushed very hard for a Remain outcome.

You need not sulk though as Procrastinate-it and Dilute-it is the name of the game.
    Brexit prevailed as every National Paper except the Mirror and Guardian were for it and posted the most outrageous headlines for
    weeks to try to get their way.
    Also The Tories were mostly pro brexit in their campaigning and Corbyn ( a closet brexit supporter ) led a pathetic campaign. So only the Lib Dems were truely remain and they were broken by the election with a hand full of seats.

Other than newspapers I felt the media were even handed but Laz E Boy Cameron called the referendum and sat on his arse thereafter. Pipsqueak Farage who could never get himself a seat in Parliament was the tail that wagged the dog.