Is this on catch up anywhere ?
    It's on BBC iplayer for a month.

Re: Hidden Cardiff with Will Mallard

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Is this on catch up anywhere ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08t3qcj

Quote Originally Posted by goslow View Post
    A room above Burger King,a clock that doesn't work,some tunnels and some bunkers,Cardiff has less history than a white dog turd.
    Well obviously it has more history than that ffs

The point of the programme was to point out that much of the City's history has been lost to development and that we should look after what we have. I mean it's a crying shame that Insole Court has to be rescued from potentially being demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    It's on BBC iplayer for a month.
    Cheers, though I'll probably just watch it once.

A room above Burger King,a clock that doesn't work,some tunnels and some bunkers,Cardiff has less history than a white dog turd.
    Check the title Hidden Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    On tonight BBC 1 at 9.

Looks like an interesting programme if you like your local history. Exploring the City's underground canals, railway tunnels and war time bunkers.
    God it was so awful and boring

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    God I am so awful and boring
    Aw, don't be too hard on yourself mate

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Keyboard trolling warrior changing posts? What an achievement!!

Shame that room above Burger King isn't still the pub it once was, the green lizard was it? I guess BK just lease the building I wonder who owns it? And that bunker in llandaff how is that still there? And why? Surely it would have been demolished by now and had houses in it?? Prime land and all

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    Keyboard trolling warrior changing posts? What an achievement!!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Shame that room above Burger King isn't still the pub it once was, the green lizard was it? I guess BK just lease the building I wonder who owns it? And that bunker in llandaff how is that still there? And why? Surely it would have been demolished by now and had houses in it?? Prime land and all
    Green Dragon

was a great show, i was hoping they would have touched on some of the history in the old arcades of the city, morgan and royal arcade for example.. or maybe they did but didnt get the permission to film, i know for a fact of the tunnels and so on under the arcades and howells store...

i knew about the mahogany room above burger king seen a bit of it with my own eyes, its pretty awsome sight

and they have an oak room above royal arcade which some folks dont realize is there, theres an old library at one end, some call it the old chapel, but it would have been an old library 1st, when that lost interest no doubt folks would have used it as a chapel for sure... ther old library is above the royal on st marys st end but the old oak room is above the royal arcade on the hayes end... heres an old pic of it back in david morgans days... there are 50 odd appartments there now but rest assured the oak room is still there too

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Cheers, though I'll probably just watch it once.

I thought it was very interesting. I'd love to see how Cardiff was back before the taff wasn't moved. Fascinates me, wish they would make a reenactment drama series or something..

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What is beneath tesco?
    Asda.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Asda.
    That's freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

I thought it was very interesting. I'd love to see how Cardiff was back before the taff wasn't moved. Fascinates me, wish they would make a reenactment drama series or something..
    Opening up all the canals would be nice but will never happen, one runs under Churchill way I believe, around to mill lane?

It must be an age thing as what he was referring to on the programme as a "canal" was always called the "feeder" when I was a lad as that is what is does - "feed" water to the docks. The "canal" proper, or what was left of it was where North Road car park is now at Blackweir and also at the Melingriffith where it forms part of the nature reserve. I didn't know about the posh room over Burger King but the rest of the items on the programme I thought were quite well known.

Is there any point in all these "listed" relics?

Some, like the posh room above, you aren't allowed to see.

Others, like the gas structure in the prog - just a rusting relic taking up valuable land space.

Not in the program is the facade of the old post office building in Westgate Street - there were offices behind that (I worked in one) but empty now.

One day, we'll have a city full of listed relics that will hold back our progression as a city.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

You're just showing off because the Town Clock still works. I bet you were there singing " Happy Birthday Town Clock " when it was 100 years old in 1958.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Is there any point in all these "listed" relics?

Some, like the posh room above, you aren't allowed to see.

Others, like the gas structure in the prog - just a rusting relic taking up valuable land space.

Not in the program is the facade of the old post office building in Westgate Street - there were offices behind that (I worked in one) but empty now.

One day, we'll have a city full of listed relics that will hold back our progression as a city.
    I always wondered why that huge white gas thing was still there, it's pointless really is it not?? They are currently clearing all that land around ikea for something to....

International

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    It must be an age thing as what he was referring to on the programme as a "canal" was always called the "feeder" when I was a lad as that is what is does - "feed" water to the docks. The "canal" proper, or what was left of it was where North Road car park is now at Blackweir and also at the Melingriffith where it forms part of the nature reserve. I didn't know about the posh room over Burger King but the rest of the items on the programme I thought were quite well known.
    It was called the feeder because there was a cut that once fed the moat around the castle. It is still marked on google maps at the back of the castle and along the back of Greyfriars road to the north. It then runs behind the Park Hotel underground and down the middle of Churchill way. That is still there too, it's just been covered up. It also fed the docks to help eliminate the tides. The map shows it in the open again south of Churchill way down to the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It was called the feeder because there was a cut that once fed the moat around the castle. It is still marked on google maps at the back of the castle and along the back of Greyfriars road to the north. It then runs behind the Park Hotel underground and down the middle of Churchill way. That is still there too, it's just been covered up. It also fed the docks to help eliminate the tides. The map shows it in the open again south of Churchill way down to the dock.
    When The Feeder openly ran down that way, I am sure the two streets on the sides had separate names, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were called.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Agreed but my point is that it's not the canal and calling it that is a basic error. It made me doubt the knowledge of Cardiff of the person presenting the programme.