+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hidden Cardiff with Will Mallard

International

Re: Hidden Cardiff with Will Mallard

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Agreed but my point is that it's not the canal and calling it that is a basic error. It made me doubt the knowledge of Cardiff of the person presenting the programme.
    Absolutely correct. It starts at the Taff just above Blackweir, it and the Taff almost make Blackweir an island. It feeds the castle moat then the docks. There is another stream that runs right down from above Thornhill Cemetry right through Whitchurch along Merthyr Road and down the middle of Cathedral View in Gabalfa to the river. It used to be open but is now mostly covered, but it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    was a great show, i was hoping they would have touched on some of the history in the old arcades of the city, morgan and royal arcade for example.. or maybe they did but didnt get the permission to film, i know for a fact of the tunnels and so on under the arcades and howells store...

i knew about the mahogany room above burger king seen a bit of it with my own eyes, its pretty awsome sight

and they have an oak room above royal arcade which some folks dont realize is there, theres an old library at one end, some call it the old chapel, but it would have been an old library 1st, when that lost interest no doubt folks would have used it as a chapel for sure... ther old library is above the royal on st marys st end but the old oak room is above the royal arcade on the hayes end... heres an old pic of it back in david morgans days... there are 50 odd appartments there now but rest assured the oak room is still there too

Slightly confused as to why having taken the time to go there and see it with your own eyes, why didn't you bother looking around the whole room.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    When The Feeder openly ran down that way, I am sure the two streets on the sides had separate names, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were called.

https://telescoper.wordpress.com/201...f-old-cardiff/

including...
    Some of its route is now underground, including the section that used to be Edward Terrace and Pembroke Terrace, which now form the two sides of Churchill Way under which the canal still flows.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    When The Feeder openly ran down that way, I am sure the two streets on the sides had separate names, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were called.
    Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post

including...
    Some of its route is now underground, including the section that used to be Edward Terrace and Pembroke Terrace, which now form the two sides of Churchill Way under which the canal still flows.

Ta for that

I can remember (now the olde grey matter has been jogged), there used to be a street sign, down the bottom of Churchill Way, were it changes into Guildford Crescent, EDWARD TERRACE.

I wonder if it is still there, it was about 2nd floor height, set into the brickwork.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post

including...
    That's an interesting map. You can see from the map that the Feeder goes under the Glamorganshire Canal which I didn't appreciate but is obvious when you think about it. Also, there is a road and bridge over the Feeder that goes from what is now Kingsway to a spot opposite what is now King Edward VII Avenue. Wonder what happened to that ? I also recall that there was and probably still is a small road behind the New Theatre, parallel to Greyfriars Road, that was always referred to as Feeder Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    That's an interesting map. You can see from the map that the Feeder goes under the Glamorganshire Canal which I didn't appreciate but is obvious when you think about it. Also, there is a road and bridge over the Feeder that goes from what is now Kingsway to a spot opposite what is now King Edward VII Avenue. Wonder what happened to that ? I also recall that there was and probably still is a small road behind the New Theatre, parallel to Greyfriars Road, that was always referred to as Feeder Road.
    That small lane is still there, along with the feeder/canal, albeit rather overgrown and full of shit. I assume it then turned right into what is now Churchill Way, but used to be a canal.dd2ed09dd1413535bdbb556f45db60b5.jpg