+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For the mathematicians on here

Banned

For the mathematicians on here

Help solve a family argument.

Skipbo,
    Playing with the family on hols, if you're not familiar with the game , it's basically 160 cards numbered 1-12.

You got to get rid of your deck into a community deck in the middle of the table , building stacks of cards numbered 1-12.

After dealing players cards You draw cards from a face down pile of cards which everyone takes from in turn.

NOW, when a pile is complete of 1-12 it gets discarded until there are no more face down cards , shuffled and your new deck is formed.

However, my in laws , once a 1-12 stack is complete they immediately shuffle the 12 cards and put them underneath the face down deck which you draw from.

I told them that it's wrong, because when you get to those face down cards, that you now have pockets of cards , albeit shuffled, ranging from 1-12.
    They argued it doesn't matter , because they are shuffled. I couldn't explain it to them in layman terms.
    Please help

Re: For the mathematicians on here

Are you asking a mathematician to help you explain that even if you shuffle these 12 cards numbered 1-12 there will always be 12 cards numbered 1-12?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Are you asking a mathematician to help you explain that even if you shuffle these 12 cards numbered 1-12 there will always be 12 cards numbered 1-12?
    Yeah.
    Say you got a deck if 10 sets of 1-12 fully shuffled.
    You got a chance of getting 10 consecutive number 1's for instance.
    But THEN you shuffle one set of 1-12 and stick them under that deck. You got one shuffled pocket of 1-12 .
    My father in law keeps doing that you see.
    So eventually the pack contains 10 sets of shuffled 1-12s in pockets of 12s . So making it impossible to draw 10 cards and getting 10 ones.
    I tried explaing it to them and they wouldn't have it

Serves you right for going on holiday with the outlaws !

Banned

Obviously this is too difficult for the boys on here.
    I'll go post this on a conservative forum

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    So eventually the pack contains 10 sets of shuffled 1-12s in pockets of 12s . So making it impossible to draw 10 cards and getting 10 ones.
    t
    yes that will happen, best you will get is 2 X 1's as they might be next to each other in the " sets "