Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Yes I have done and often it ended up making five - I've been accused of being a know all in this thread, but one thing I'd like to think I do is admit when I was wrong. In this instance, I just think you're jumping to conclusions on little or no evidence, but even if you're right, Whitts is hardly what I'd call a typical Warnock player and so there always had to be a chance that there would be a parting of the ways this summer.

For me, Whitts has always been a player who you needed to build a team around and ask others to help with the things he's never been great at. In his early days with us, he was very talented, but inconsistent and then we had five years or so when he was excellent and, arguably the best player in the Championship over that time. For the last two or three years though, the decision about whether to accommodate him by asking others to "look after" him has become a harder one, because he does not give as much to the team as he used to in his pomp.

Therefore, I think whoever was manager now would have had a big decision to make on Whitts this summer - he's one of my all time favourite City players, but I can understand the club's decision to offer him a reduced wage on a one year contract based on his age and how he performed last season.
Agree with your thoughts Paul but I think your being kind to Whitts. His demise started during our promotion season, from memory he was dropped for a large part in favour of Kimbo and Mutch. He then struggled big time with the pace of the premiership and the decline has continued season on season since. Not helped by the poor mangers we've had in recent years and the role he has been asked to play.

Dave Jones got the best out of him but he never repeated that exceptional goalscoring season he had.