+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whitts.....Why ??

Re: Whitts.....Why ??

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes I have done and often it ended up making five - I've been accused of being a know all in this thread, but one thing I'd like to think I do is admit when I was wrong. In this instance, I just think you're jumping to conclusions on little or no evidence, but even if you're right, Whitts is hardly what I'd call a typical Warnock player and so there always had to be a chance that there would be a parting of the ways this summer.

For me, Whitts has always been a player who you needed to build a team around and ask others to help with the things he's never been great at. In his early days with us, he was very talented, but inconsistent and then we had five years or so when he was excellent and, arguably the best player in the Championship over that time. For the last two or three years though, the decision about whether to accommodate him by asking others to "look after" him has become a harder one, because he does not give as much to the team as he used to in his pomp.

Therefore, I think whoever was manager now would have had a big decision to make on Whitts this summer - he's one of my all time favourite City players, but I can understand the club's decision to offer him a reduced wage on a one year contract based on his age and how he performed last season.
    Agree with your thoughts Paul but I think your being kind to Whitts. His demise started during our promotion season, from memory he was dropped for a large part in favour of Kimbo and Mutch. He then struggled big time with the pace of the premiership and the decline has continued season on season since. Not helped by the poor mangers we've had in recent years and the role he has been asked to play.

Dave Jones got the best out of him but he never repeated that exceptional goalscoring season he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Thought the club might have offered him some sort of player/coach role, That's the trouble when you keep changing managers they don't give a flying frig about loyalty.
    That's what it is. Changing managers. When will they learn?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Oh dear

Fortunately for Whitts he has a talent where he doesn't have to die to earn a decent wage. Not that your analogy makes any sense. I'd rather earn 600 quid a week than 10k but then die once I sign the contract?
    Well he better leave then, hecant have it both ways ,a lot of people have talent and don't have the luxury of holding out for better wages as the age , he's a lovely lad ,however has unperformed for a long time in my eyes .

Footballers even at this level are grossly overpaid , he has waited to see if he can get another pay day and that Is fine , as a club we have to move on .

Hope this helps "" to die for" phrase ( extremely good or desirable ).

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    That's what it is. Changing managers. When will they learn?
    Exactly we should have stayed with Slade or Trollope ,what does Warnock known , all that tackling and effort stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    Agree with your thoughts Paul but I think your being kind to Whitts. His demise started during our promotion season, from memory he was dropped for a large part in favour of Kimbo and Mutch. He then struggled big time with the pace of the premiership and the decline has continued season on season since. Not helped by the poor mangers we've had in recent years and the role he has been asked to play.

Dave Jones got the best out of him but he never repeated that exceptional goalscoring season he had.
    I just love the rewriting of history on the promotion season.

He wasn't left out for large parts, he was dropped / rested for the last couple of months where we won just 3 of our last 13 games.

We averaged far more points with Whitts in the team than when he wasn't that season.

He was far more influential to winning the Championship than either Kim or Mutch.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes I have done and often it ended up making five - I've been accused of being a know all in this thread, but one thing I'd like to think I do is admit when I was wrong. In this instance, I just think you're jumping to conclusions on little or no evidence, but even if you're right, Whitts is hardly what I'd call a typical Warnock player and so there always had to be a chance that there would be a parting of the ways this summer.

For me, Whitts has always been a player who you needed to build a team around and ask others to help with the things he's never been great at. In his early days with us, he was very talented, but inconsistent and then we had five years or so when he was excellent and, arguably the best player in the Championship over that time. For the last two or three years though, the decision about whether to accommodate him by asking others to "look after" him has become a harder one, because he does not give as much to the team as he used to in his pomp.

Therefore, I think whoever was manager now would have had a big decision to make on Whitts this summer - he's one of my all time favourite City players, but I can understand the club's decision to offer him a reduced wage on a one year contract based on his age and how he performed last season.
    Whilst I agree with large parts of your post that's not the topic of the thread.

Someone has suggested one of the reasons why he's leaving is he doesn't get on with Warnock and I agree with this view.

Even Stevie Wonder can see he's not a Warnock player, or in his plans, so there was no point in offering him whatever token contract they offered him.

He should have been thanked for his service and allowed a proper goodbye.

I just love the rewriting of history on the promotion season.

He wasn't left out for large parts, he was dropped / rested for the last couple of months where we won just 3 of our last 13 games.

We averaged far more points with Whitts in the team than when he wasn't that season.

He was far more influential to winning the Championship than either Kim or Mutch.
    A couple of months not being a large part of the season? Great championship player who was managed poorly after Malky left but unfortunately father time has caught up with him in recent seasons.

A couple of months not being a large part of the season? Great championship player who was managed poorly after Malky left but unfortunately father time has caught up with him in recent seasons.
    He played 40 out of 46 games so no he wasn't left out for large parts

He played 40 out of 46 games so no he wasn't left out for large parts
    I didn't say large parts, I said large part which you agreed with me being the last 2 months of the season.

I didn't say large parts, I said large part which you agreed with me being the last 2 months of the season.
    6 games is not a large part of a 46 game season

6 games is not a large part of a 46 game season
    2 months is 2 months, well done on your use of Wiki.

2 months is 2 months, well done on your use of Wiki.
    Soccerbase actually and he wasn't rested for all of the games in those 2 months.

Soccerbase actually and he wasn't rested for all of the games in those 2 months.
    Our little difference of opinion is irrelevant, Whitts it appears is off, enjoy the memories.

Our little difference of opinion is irrelevant, Whitts it appears is off, enjoy the memories.
    I will I just don't enjoy the rewriting of those memories

I will I just don't enjoy the rewriting of those memories
    Let it go FFS In your own words Whitts missed the last 2 months of the season.

Let it go FFS In your own words Whitts missed the last 2 months of the season.
    I'll let it go when you cut out the porkies

I did not say he missed the last 2 months at all because he didn't.

I'll let it go when you cut out the porkies

I did not say he missed the last 2 months at all because he didn't.
    Dropped/rested for the last couple of months! Your splitting hairs dear.

Dropped/rested for the last couple of months! Your splitting hairs dear.
    For some games yes. He didn't miss 2 months or a large part of the season so pack it in with the porkies please.

For some games yes. He didn't miss 2 months or a large part of the season so pack it in with the porkies please.
    Your words not mine Dear. Dropped/Rested for the last couple of months.

Your words not mine Dear. Dropped/Rested for the last couple of months.
    Odd thread, that's exactly what he said; '... he was dropped/rested for the last couple of months where we won just 3 of our last 13 games.'

Just to clear it up, he was actually dropped for the last 8 games of that season, having started in 37 out of the 38 league games before then (he missed the 1-0 win at Birmingham on New Years Day). Of those last 8 games we won 2 and drew 6, having lost 3 of the 6 before then. I've no particular memories of him that season after his bright start, he'd scored 6 goals by the end of September but only managed 2 more after that, both penalties.

It'll be interesting to see how Blackburn use him if he goes there, he got moved around the midfield here without really convincing anywhere in the past few seasons. Trollope thought he'd cracked it by having him play in front of a back 5 but that turned out to be the least successful of all the options. I've no idea where I'd play him, I assume Mowbray's got a plan. We'll see.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Perhaps Whittingham doesn't want to be a coach?
    Perhaps Whittingham wants to be a coach?

Whilst I agree with large parts of your post that's not the topic of the thread.

Someone has suggested one of the reasons why he's leaving is he doesn't get on with Warnock and I agree with this view.

Even Stevie Wonder can see he's not a Warnock player, or in his plans, so there was no point in offering him whatever token contract they offered him.

He should have been thanked for his service and allowed a proper goodbye.
    Lawnmower said in another thread that he didn't want to see a John Terry type goodbye arranged for Whitts and I completely agree with that. We've just had a testimonial for Kevin McNaughton who, from memory, was with us for nine and a half years - I was all for that, but, if I'm right about how long he was with us, then it's just short of the amount of time traditionally required to be granted a testimonial.

By contrast, Whitts has ten and a half years service put in for City and, surely, the way to recognise someone who, unlike so many given the title, does deserve to be called a Cardiff City legend is to arrange a testimonial for him at some time - I would be disappointed if that didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Odd thread, that's exactly what he said; '... he was dropped/rested for the last couple of months where we won just 3 of our last 13 games.'

Just to clear it up, he was actually dropped for the last 8 games of that season, having started in 37 out of the 38 league games before then (he missed the 1-0 win at Birmingham on New Years Day). Of those last 8 games we won 2 and drew 6, having lost 3 of the 6 before then. I've no particular memories of him that season after his bright start, he'd scored 6 goals by the end of September but only managed 2 more after that, both penalties.

It'll be interesting to see how Blackburn use him if he goes there, he got moved around the midfield here without really convincing anywhere in the past few seasons. Trollope thought he'd cracked it by having him play in front of a back 5 but that turned out to be the least successful of all the options. I've no idea where I'd play him, I assume Mowbray's got a plan. We'll see.
    Thanks for the clarification Loramski.