+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next Tory leader

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Next Tory leader

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It will be interesting to see May's approval ratings post election.

Will any new Tory leader be brave enough to call another election to secure a mandate? September would be a good time, as it coincides with the German elections.

As for a new leader, May was already the best choice!
    The problem with ditching May to call another early General Election is that two-thirds of MPs must vote in favour due to that 5-year Fixed Term Act. If Labour didn't approve then that strategy would fail. Though, it's difficult to conceive Labour voting down an opportunity to remove the Tories from office.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The problem with ditching May to call another early General Election is that two-thirds of MPs must vote in favour due to that 5-year Fixed Term Act. If Labour didn't approve then that strategy would fail. Though, it's difficult to conceive Labour voting down an opportunity to remove the Tories from office.
    Labour would be all over it. The Tories are backed into a corner, hence the ridiculous DUP move.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Labour would be all over it. The Tories are backed into a corner, hence the ridiculous DUP move.
    I thought Labour (and all of the other parties I believe) were stupid for agreeing to what seemed to me to be an opportunity to give the Tories a tenfold, or more, increase in their majority. I'm sure that they would love an opportunity to turf the Government out in the coming months if it came along, but there's no way I can see the Tories calling another snap election, so the only way I can see an election coming about in the short term is if May and co lost a vote of no confidence - thing is though, with Brexit negotiations due to start in a week or so, I think it would be very risky for any opposition party to call a vote of no confidence and risk being accused of being the ones responsible for yet another election and interrupting the Brexit process.